Skip navigation

5758 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2008 4:05 AM by Charlie!2 RSS
FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
Aug 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2008 9:19 AM

Couple of stupid training questions

I always wonder this after I finish running.  How long do you have after a long run to take an ice bath for it to do any good?  Like can I sit around for an hour and THEN take an ice bath?  Or do I have to jump in the second I stop running?

Also, if you take an ice bath and jump straight into a hot shower, does it negate the healing qualities of the ice bath?  How long should you wait?

Should you stretch before your after your ice bath?  I'm just curious if there's a correct order for all these post-run rituals, or it doesn't really matter.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Aug 7, 2008 9:35 AM (in response to FormerBAM)
    Re: Couple of stupid training questions

Sooner beats later for ice baths;  you probably want to keep moving until time for the ice but not necessarily keep running.  Stretching after the run works much better for me than after an ice bath.  If you need an ice bath, you may want to avoid long, hot showers until the problem is better; if you're doing the ice preventively, 30 minutes might be good.........

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Aug 7, 2008 9:47 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita,

Dont know anything about Ice baths but in the Septmember issue of Runners world on page 50. They have a small article on the hour after plan.

This post run routine will help you stay injury free

5 minutes after 8 to 16 ounces of sport drink to replenish electrolytes and minerals

7 minutes put on dry clothes will help your body regulate your temp

15 minutes consume carbs and protein to jump start muscle recovery

30 minutes stretch improves flexibility and boost circulation

45 minutes soak in ice bath speeds recovery and prevents soreness

60 minutes   Get Horizontal nap or take a break with feet up for 15 to 30 minutes

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• zoom1 Legend 288 posts since
    Jan 22, 2008
    4. Aug 7, 2008 9:50 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Let's take an extreme example and say your long run is 26.2 miles.

Depending on your body and physical conditioning, your body will swell for 24-72 after being exposed to serious strenous excercise.  Ideally,  you'd want to ice your body as soon as you can so that you can minimize the swelling.  Some professional football players just jump right into the icetub after practice.  There are even ice tubs right on the field outside of the enterance to the locker rooms.

Does it matter if you wait an hour ?  Probably not much but the goal is the sooner the better.   That's why you see major league pitchers with their arms and shoulders all iced up after they've been taken out of the ball game while the game is still going on.  Icing reduces swelling and heat induces blood circulations so a warm shower won't do any harm and may do some good.  Ideally, after you have showered you should continue icing the problem areas.

One of the things that folks do with a sprain ankle is that they ice it down for a bit to reduce the swelling then take off the ice and swirl their feet in a warm bucket of water to induce blood flow.  The process is repeated again and again.  Eventually the ice pack stays on and the ankle is elevated.

Stretching before an ice bath is better than afterwards because your muscles are still warm and flexible.  If you wait until after the ice bath to stretch then your muscles are cold and you will increase your chances of getting more injured.

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Aug 7, 2008 9:50 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I had this same question a few weeks ago.  The Runners World Article is really helpful.  They have a timeline in the article that I cut out and hung on my bulletin board.  I do wait awhile before taking my hot shower after the ice bath.

I will run for cupcakes!!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 7, 2008 10:13 AM (in response to zoom1)

zoom1 wrote:

Let's take an extreme example and say your long run is 26.2 miles.

That is far too improbable, Zoom.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,324 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Aug 7, 2008 10:19 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

FormerBAM wrote:

Really good info, guys, thanks!

Tuan, you are a wealth of knowledge.

Dennis, I guess I didn't get past the recipes in Runners World yet I'll try to catch up on my reading while I'm lying on the beach next week

I suggest you do that, then maybe you won't ask so many "stupid training questions". 

Len

• Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    10. Aug 8, 2008 4:05 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Dang! There goes your invite to Hawaii!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points