Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3204 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2008 2:26 PM by Legalsearcher RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Legalsearcher Amateur 12 posts since
Oct 7, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 9, 2008 6:55 PM

Running with Fibromyalgia

Hi!  is there anyone else out there that is a runner with Fibromyalgia? I'm on the verge of being diagonosed with Fibromyalgia.  My doctor is 98% sure that's what it is but wants me to see a Reumtologist.  I've been running for 2 years, my pace isn't the fastest but it makes me feel better.  In the last 2 years I've run in 8 5k's.  To me, each race is a small victory in the battle against my pain and fatigue.  Staying focused on my health needs is very important.   I run the 5K's with 2 friends from work.  They understand my limitations and are supportive.  I need all the support I can get.  It's a hard condition to keep moving with.  Anyone have any advice, thoughts or opinions?

• the_great_aya Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 10, 2008
    1. Aug 10, 2008 5:36 AM (in response to Legalsearcher)
    Re: Running with Fibromyalgia

Hi there!  First of all, I am sorry to hear that you may be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  It's tough because it is a condition whose symptoms are often only seen by the one who has it and it can be difficult for others to understand your pain, fatigue and cloudiness.  My mother suffers from fibromyalgia.  I don't know if even showing her this blog would convince her of trying to walk a bit more.  To be honest I think you should be extremely proud of yourself for continuing to persevere and running on a regular basis.  That's just fantastic!  Since I do not personally have Fibromyalgia, I can't tell you much other than what doctors have always told my mom, You need to excercise in order to gain control over fibromyalgia and there will bad days (sometime several in a row) that you can't excercise, but as soon as you do, your body will thank you for it.  Apparently, your body responds well to the excercise it just takes some convincing.  There is also a TON of research out there about Fibromyalgia (I think  my mom has read at least half of it, lol).  I also know of some sort of drug they are now prescribing for it, but my mother has been leery of trying it because she it is so new and they are uncertain of the long term effects.  I apologize if this into more of a rant than anything informational.  Just know there are others with fibromyalgia that don't even think they can walk a mile.  You, however, are inspirational!!!  Keep it up and roll with the bad days and just ask your friends to be patient with you.  You are a rock-star!!!

• RileyBK Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 8, 2008
    3. Aug 10, 2008 6:22 AM (in response to Legalsearcher)

Hi,

I agree with the_great_aya that it is very impressive that you persevere and keep running. 

I really don't know anything about the condition, despite having 2 friends who have suffered from it for years.  For one thing, I think that there is still not a very strong consensus in the medical community on anything to do with it, so I hear very different things from these two friends about what their doctors have told them.   Neither of them runs, though one of them does exercise regularly (the other is in her eighties).  I know that she isn't always able to stay on her exercise schedule, but that it is very helpful when she can exercise.  She also benefits from good program of physical therapy with targeted exercises and massage/manipulation.

If your body tells you the exercise is good for you,  keep it up!!  You are very fortunate to have the support of friends/colleagues in your running and in your life.

All best wishes!

• GMontee Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    5. Aug 10, 2008 7:07 AM (in response to RileyBK)

I am a 50 year old woman who was diagnosed with fibryomyalgia almost 15 years ago. At that time, there wasn't much information or support - the big push was to have it recognized as a diagnosis. I was fit - I cross country skiied and rode my bike competitively - and this chronic pain and fatigue was devastating. My children were young - 2 and 5 - and I was working full time. The thought of living with such limitations was overwhelming. The treatment consisted of a nightly dose of amitriptyline and ...that was it! The amitriptyline did help. My sleep was more restorative, but I felt like a zombie. Step by step, I gradually got back into a regular exercise regime. My thought was that if I was going to ache and be fatigued, at least I could say I earned it by getting out and moving! The exercise also had a positive effect on my sleep. I cut out any alcohol, caffiene and "junk foods"...really focused on eating nutritious foods. I did some research on the internet and discovered that the "new" anti-depressant, Zoloft, was being prescribed for fibromyalgia and asked to switch. That eliminated the zombie effect.

I am very happy to say, that adding the Zoloft and being diligent about my diet, my rest, and my exercise paid off and continues to be an effective treatment. At the age of 45, I successfully completed the Madison Ironman...I race my mountain bike competitively. I am currently training (ha!) for a half-maration trail run in October (Running is not my thing...I just really want to do this event!) If I slack off on exercise, I pay the price...If I stay up too late too often, I pay the price...If I think I don't need the Zoloft...I pay the price! If I get lax with my diet...I pay the price! Full blown flare ups are few and far between. I can usually tell when one is coming and I try to determine what I can do to head it off.

It is very possible to have a highly active and energetic life with fibromyalgia. The fatigue is hard to shake...I find that having some inspirational quotes/photos help to keep me moving and grooving (the Asics ads were great when I was training for the IM). I really have to work at keeping my fitness a priority. That means that I do ride the couch more..Fortunately, my husband and kids understand and are very supportive.

I hope this is helpful...My heart goes out to you as you search to find the balance that will allow you to keep active and to experience a quality lifestyle.

• Tina Levene Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 10, 2008
    7. Aug 10, 2008 7:35 AM (in response to Legalsearcher)

Hi, I'm Tina and I was diagnosed with Fibro 1 1/2 years ago.  I am only 33 years old and have arthritis too (thanks to a lifetime of gymnastics and it being hereditary).  This is my second marathon on a relay team.  I absolutely love running, even though it takes 3-4 days for me to recover from training and the actually marathon.

I keep very active.  I have to or I'll be crippled.  I do yoga, have a jacuzzi that helps with pain and try to keep as athletic as possible.  I also get deep tissue massages, they hurt but feel so good.

I wish you all the best and my only advice is listen to your body.  There are signs it gives us when we are about to have a flare up.  Just be 'in tune' to those slight signs and you'll keep well

With great respect-Tina

• bciszak Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    9. Aug 10, 2008 9:46 AM (in response to Legalsearcher)

Hi! I run marathons with a diagnosis of Fibromyaglia. I was unusal as I was diagnosed at 15 yrs, I am not 32. The key to training is getting over the inital 3 miles for me - those are slower and more painful. And make sure you are paying attention to your diet.  Stretching before and after any workout is a must.  The other thing to be aware of is what your 'normal fibro' aches are vs a potential injury. Good Luck! And never let it get tin the way of accomplishing your goals

• Bode'sGirl Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    10. Aug 10, 2008 10:37 AM (in response to bciszak)

Hi there,

I am a triathlete coping with fibromyalgia.  I was entering my second season of competition when I was diagnosed, and it was tough; the rheumatologist I was sent to for confirmation of my diagnosis said based on my case my triathlon career was over and that I was lucky to be getting around--his exact words.  I found a new doctor and did an Olympic distance race that summer.  I still think about that guy when I need motivation.

I have been able to continue, although it isn't easy.  The biggest challenge is stringing together consistent blocks of training;  this will probably be a little less difficult with just running to focus on.  It is hard to get in all the workouts I need in three sports because it takes longer to recover than it used to, plus there are times when I can't train with the intensity/duration I really need.  Also, I am still not as fast as I was my rookie season when I hardly knew what I was doing; that's pretty discouraging since if anything I'm working harder.  On the plus sideand this is the most important thingI am still getting to do what I love.  I know when

Do you swim?  I have found swimming provides great pain relief for me.  It seems to take the tension and ache from my muscles.  I know you are a runner but if you like to swim it could be a great post run recovery tool.  Also, massage is supposed to be a very good therapy for fibromyalgia.  Lots of patiens get weekly massages and my doctor encourages me to do it but I usually find something else I need and or want to do with the money and time.  Swimming seems to give me sort of the same effect.

I am extremely fortunate to have a doctor who is willing to be aggressive and who I consider a member of my team.  I don't know how severe your case of fibromyalgia is (not too bad I hope!) but mine can be incapacitating so I need a lot of help.  His theory and experience (and I have found this to be true as well) is that when you find a combination of drug therapy that works, eventually it becomes less effective, and then the dosages need to be tweaked or a med might need to be added or subtracted.  It is an ongoing process to outwit this wicked disease!

Lyrica is a good drug for pain relief.  Someone referred to it as new, and while it is newly approved for fibromyalgia, it was used for other purposes for a while before that, and has been around for a very long time in a slightly different form called Neurontin.  Neurontin is generic, so more affordable, but Lyrica supposedly has fewer side effects, so it's a trade off there.  I don't know what kind of drug coverage you have but that may play a role in your treatment as there are a lot of drugs that can help.  I have lots more info there as well.

Well, I know you probably were looking for a response and not a novel, but as you can see I unfortunately have been forced to become very familiar with this subject.  If you have any questions or you would like to talk with me there is  a lot more  I could share.  It would also be interesting to hear how your training goes because I don't know anyone personally who has fibromyalgia and races.  Do you mind me asking where you live?

It sounds as if you have a great attitude; that is half the battle. 

Take care,

Christine

• Bode'sGirl Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    11. Aug 10, 2008 10:44 AM (in response to Legalsearcher)

Oops the above post from me was a reply to Legalsearcher: sorry about that.  It was my first one.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...