Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2267 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2008 2:49 PM by Rock N Run
Mandie Christenson Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 14, 2008 1:10 PM

I Love Running!!  but...

Hi!!  I am proud to say I am three weeks into a running routine.  Learning how to run is a great way to carve out time for myself.  After day two I noticed some bruising on my inner thighs and now on my arms.  Could this be muscles ripping and bruising or perhaps a nutritional deficit from more activity?  Has anyone experienced this or have advice?

• sv650s.cricket Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 28, 2008
    1. Aug 14, 2008 2:49 PM (in response to Mandie Christenson)
    Re: I Love Running!! but...

This sounds very unusual to me.  I've been running since I was 16 (4years) and I've got to say this is something I've never encountered.  I did notice a bruise on my arm this morning, actually, and I have no idea where it came from, so maybe it could be running related, but I really doubt it. 

I'm not a doctor by any means, but I definitely suggest getting your blood checked out as soon as you can and to cease running until you find out what the problem is.  Like I said, not a doctor, but it's very unusual and sounds like it could be pointing to a more significant problem. 

• dovarunna Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 6, 2007
    2. Aug 14, 2008 8:07 PM (in response to Mandie Christenson)

Hi Mandie! Congratulations to you on your running!

If your bruises are black and blue, I'd guess anemia. If they're mostly red -and on your inner arms and thighs they could be heat rash. You may want to try different clothes. They also make stuff you can rub on that prevents friction while running. Hope that's helpful.

• SSchriefer Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 12, 2008
    3. Aug 15, 2008 12:00 PM (in response to Mandie Christenson)

Sorry about that guys negative post and kudos to you for running.  I would agree that you need to ask your doctor.  It might be as simple as you are more aware of bruising since you started exercising and/or those bumps we have during the day that we don't even notice.  I have to say I got an ugly bruise on my calf the other day and have no idea what I did.   I don't know if you take vitamins or not, but you might want to make sure you get enough Vitamin B12 and Iron supplements.  If you go to your doctor, they can give you an idea on how much of a supplement to take based on your medical history.

Best wishes and long strides!    

• NicShaf Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 12, 2008
    4. Aug 15, 2008 2:11 PM (in response to Mandie Christenson)

Good for you on starting running!  I just started running about 10 weeks ago, after an 8 year hiatus,and I started noticing pains that I wasn't used to.  But I've never experienced anything like you are describing.  If I were in your shoes, I would check with my doctor about the bruising.  It never hurts to ask.  Keep up the good work.

• Rock N Run Amateur 6 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    5. Aug 15, 2008 2:49 PM (in response to Mandie Christenson)

Hi, If you are new to running, you are going to have aches and pains. Its important to start off easy and perhaps incorporate some walking to. Make sure you have proper running shoe that provides stability and gives a nice return. Also, try and run on soft surfaces like trails and grass also helps. Perhaps my rock n run cd that features 18 rock running songs will help motivate you! Good Luck, Mike www.rocknrun.us

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...