Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4821 Views 703 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM by racebug313 Go to original post 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 Previous Next
  • ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    690. Jun 10, 2008 2:49 AM (in response to paytonpay)
    Re: colon issues (sorry)

Payton-Thanks for the info.  My best friend's husband works at the GI practice that I have gone to since my late teens.  I will ask him about it.

• vireo226 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 4, 2006
    691. Jun 10, 2008 6:24 AM (in response to paytonpay)

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am lucky. I only get runners trots after about mile 12.

My husband has Ulseritive (sp) colitis.  There are many types of colitis.  He was told he had non specific until the doctors did more test to narrow down which type.

Maybe you need other tests.  You can get a lot of info at the chrons and colitis foundations webpage. 

http://www.ccfa.org/

~Sarah

• happybarb Expert 74 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    692. Jun 13, 2008 9:58 AM (in response to TRC24)

Carrie,

I sometimes have blood in my stool after running.  After a colonscopy the doc told me I had what is called an ischemic colon.  The said the colon is starved for oxygen because the oxygen is going to the major organs (heart and lungs).  When the colon does not have the oxygen it needs it starts to die.  When the brain registers that the colon is dying (oxygen deprived) it sends blood to your colon.  Therefore, blood in your stool.  I hope this makes sense.  The doc told me to quit running but I didn't.  I took it slow and have worked up from the couch to 5k program to running 3 - 4 miles.  Tomorrow is my first attempt at a long run, I signed up for a 10K as a walker but I would really like to run as much of it as I can.

Here's an article that might explain:  http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00794.html

Barb

Runners Prayer~
    Run by my side, live in my heartbeat
    give strength to my steps, as the cold surrounds me.
    As the wind pushes me, I know you surround me,
    As the sun warms me, as the rain cleanses me,
    I know you are touching me,
    Challenging me, loving me!
    So I give you this run
    Thank you for matching my stride~ Amen

Prayer by Maureen McNellis and Karen Schulte in Day by Day: The Notre Dame Prayerbook for Students, eds. Thomas McNally and William G. Storey (Notre Dame: Ave Maria Press, 2004), p. 71.

I started a blog to journal my way to better health..nothing professional just some rambling......

http://journeytolowermycholesterolin42days.blogspot.com

• suzimmer Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 27, 2007
    693. Jun 13, 2008 12:23 PM (in response to happybarb)

Hi all,

I too have ulcerative colitis.  I was diagnosised 4 years ago after pooping blood (lots!) after a long run. I did not give up running.  I have to watch my diet very carefully ( I also have interstitial cystitis which has its own set of dietary restrictions)  and take 12 pills a day to manage both condititons, but have continued  to not only stay active, but to  become a triathlete.  I have completed in 7 triathlons so far and am currently training for an Ironman.  Yes, I have trouble some days, but with trial and error I have figured out what to and what not to eat to keep the symptoms in check while getting the nutrition I need for an endurance sport.  So, I guess what I'm trying to say is,,,, Have hope, take charge and keep a positve attitude.

• paytonpay Rookie 7 posts since
    May 30, 2008
    694. Jul 23, 2008 10:02 PM (in response to suzimmer)

Does anyone with UC have symptoms when they are not having a flare?  I have not been diagnosed with UC, but I think I may have it.  I have been on Colazal for 2 months now and after 3 weeks, my symptoms went away.  I felt good for 3 weeks and then I started to get nauseas again, burping, gas, back pain.  Prior to April, I had 2 bm's a week.  I now have 2-4 a day.  I just went 4 times in the last hour.  I am stressed out and I can't figure out what is going on with me.  The symptoms are not severe as they were before - no blood, no mucous.  Yet, I am starting to not feel well again.  Any thoughts?  Thank you, Pam.

• haleighf Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    695. Aug 15, 2008 11:17 PM (in response to christa0120)

I'm sixteen years old. Over the winter I trained (probably a little too hard) and I started to get really bad diarrhea every time I ran starting last winter I trained on treadmills so that I could go to the bathroom whenever I needed to; I thought it was just a little bit of the flu, but it never went away. I became underweight and was really suffering. I went to the doctor in January because I was having bloody stools, She told me that everything I was experiencing was normal & that the blood was probably just because of a fissure I got from going to the bathroom so often (IDIOT). Getting her okay, I continued my training  and things got worse.  My mom finally called another doctor, & I got sent to eating disorder therapy... That was a joke, I wasn't eating enough calories at the time, but it was not because I wanted to lose weight it was because I wanted to be able to run without having "problems". I knew I was okay as long as I could train on treadmill, but then track season came. It was the most awful thing I have ever endured. I wouldn't eat anything all day before practice & still have accidents. It was like I had this big secret. My coach is absolutely worthless and knew nothing. My small town in Wisconsin has like NO BATHROOMS. Honestly, my school has a really weak distance program, We had no distance coach this year so I would do the workouts on my own.... all 3 of the other distance girls just thought I was stuck up since I never ran with anyone.  I would pretty much run the workouts accidents or not, and then I would attempt to clean up and then make my boyfriend (the state runner up for XC) take me home, sooooooo embarrassing. it got so bad I couldn't finish the season & no one had any idea why & I couldn't exactly tell them. I took a month off hoping it would help. All it did was add 15 lbs. and thus ruin my self-esteem. This summer has been awful for training, I just don't know how to get past this. It's like the anxiety of having an accident make it worse. I take 2 immodium, still go to the bathroom during my run,  but then I don't go to the bathroom for 2 days after that. My GI told me I could take up to 8 in a day ( I was like... "Are you insane??). So before my last race I decided I would try it out.... yeah I thought I was going to die my stomach cramped so bad. I ran my 5k 2 minutes slower (probably partially to blame on my weight gain) and I almost made my boyfriend take me to the emergency room for overdosing on immodium. I tried Kaopectate... but I have this thing about taking medicine... I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. I've been tested for everything... Chron's, Celiac, you name it. My GI told me it's just runner's colitis.. and it's never going away.  And the Doctor who did my colonoscopy  confirmed it. He said "Why don't you just stop when your stomach starts to cramp?" (once again IDIOT). & My doctor in Internal Medicine thinks she can give me Provac and make it better... So I won't care that I'm ******** my shorts (I hate her) I now just run on treadmills at the gym or out in the country where I can go out into the woods... I have lovely scratches from all my adventures out to the woods and last week I even got a rash on my rear from wiping with the wrong leaf. It's such a disgusting disease.

My mother and I are currently trying accupuncture and hypnosis. I've seen minor result, but maybe it's just the belief that something might be working, but honestly I don't think either of us can afford it much longer. I've also finally got a nutritionist who is mildly helpful, but my XC season starts Monday. This was supposed to be solved by now. My mom says she's going to buy me Depends... Yeah I'm considering it, but if that got out that would be beyond humiliating.  I'm so tired of it, I considered quitting. I have honestly spent nights bawling about this. I hate this problem but I love running more than anything else. I need someone who knows what they're talking about.

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    696. Aug 16, 2008 4:22 AM (in response to haleighf)

Hale-I am so sorry you have such a problem at such a young age.  There is such a thing as runners colitis, and unfortunately, many have found the only thing that works is immodium.  My suggestion to you is to try and do a warmup run near your home, so you can run back to the house after after 1 or 2 miles to relieve yourself.  That's what I have to do with my ulcerative colitis.  Thank goodness you have your mom to help you with this.  My suggestion would be to eat a small meal about 2 hours before you run, so that you will have enough energy to make it through.  The Depends is a good idea.  I have often thought of using them, but I run in spandex shorts and they would show through.  I hope you get more suggestions than mine.  Good luck!

• Bugs34 Amateur 598 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    697. Aug 16, 2008 6:57 PM (in response to haleighf)

hal, I don't normally post on this thread, but your post moved me. Many of us have this problems.

If I have a cramp it is usually in the few miles so if I run with other people I try to run a few warm-up miles by myself and then join them.

I had a bad stretch this summer where every run was interupted. It seems once the colon gets pist, it's likes to cramp more frequently.  I had to eat a restricted diet and take immodium a.d. for many runs until it better. Really was my own fault, my miles were increasing and I was not watching my diet like I knew I should have been.

I have found watching my diet very carefully helps the most. I found the removing dairy (including chocolate) and any sort of junk or processed food helped me the most. Bananas and pankcakes before a run also make me cramp. I found it is imperative to run on an almost empty tummy, eating nothing 3 hours before a run. A longer run might be 4 hours.

You also want to try to figure out what in your diet will assure you a good bathroom break in the morning. For me it's some salsa the night before. Before an important run I will eat either a baked potatoe with salsa or a few baked chips with salsa, and some whole wheat noodles with olive oil and a pinch of parmesan cheese.  Another friend swears by a few baby carrots. My point is that you should try to see what in your diet works for and against you.

Good Luck.

• paytonpay Rookie 7 posts since
    May 30, 2008
    698. Aug 16, 2008 10:14 PM (in response to Bugs34)

Are you only having problems when you run?  I was diagnosed with runner's colitis in May.  Yet, my GI doc never did a thorough eval.  When I went to a new GI doc, she said I never had runner's colitis.  She said that is something that only happens when you are running and it is very serious and usually requires immediate attention.  It is also called ischemic colitis.  I had problems when I stopped running which rules out runner's colitis.  My feeling is that unless you have a positive pathology report for ulcerative colitis or chron's disease, they really do not know what it is.  If you are bleeding, that is a big concern.  My doc's still do not have a definite diagnosis for me.  They also said it is impossible to rule out UC and Chron's completely, due to the fact that no one knows how it begins.  Even if the pathology reports say it is not IBD, it can be the early stages of IBD.  My understanding is that you just have to wait it out until it either goes away, or turns into something really bad.  If your symptoms occur outside of running, I would definitely get a second opinion.  It can't hurt.  I know this sucks.  I was running 2 hours easily when my bleeding started, I am now running 2 miles at a very slow pace.  Hang in there.  I hope you get the help and support you need.     

• haleighf Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    699. Aug 17, 2008 7:23 AM (in response to paytonpay)

thanks for the replies... sorry about the life story.

I never eat junkfood or processed food.. at least I didn't when the problem started (thus why they thought the eating disorder), so that's not the problem. My mom and I have tried desperately to pinpoint it to certain foods, but It seems like it doesn't really matter. I could eat one thing one day and be ok. but then eat it again the next and have problems... I will try the warmups close by, but I usually go multiple times. I think that would help though. I have an internal medicine appointmet next week so maybe I'll ask for a different GI. I sometimes have problems when I'm not running, but it's not frequent.  I think I just need to figure out the food and medicine and running timing. It's hard because I have made no progress, I have not found a single thing that works consistantly. & it's agonizing.

It's so crazy to see how many people have this issue and how it's different for everyone. Like one person says something works for them, but it doesn't work for someone else.  I'm actually considering printing off  this thread and showing my doctor so she'll stop treating me like i'm freakish

• browndogus Rookie 47 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    700. Aug 30, 2008 3:09 PM (in response to haleighf)

Hi Haleigh,

I'm so sorry that you are having this problem.  Definitely show your doctor this thread but make her promise that she will read the whole thing.  ; )

I have the same problem as you do.  I don't have UC, IBS, or blood in the stool.  However, I have to stop multiple times during any run over about 3 miles and sometimes even on shorter runs.  Today, I ran 14 miles and had to stop 5x.  I don't appear to have any illness causing me to "go" but my problem is exacerbated by pelvic floor damage from childbirth which has left my rectal sphincters separated.  I've tried many things to eliminate/cope with the diarrhea on my runs.  My sister (OB/Gyn) and her husband (cardiologist) recommended taking an immodium the night before as well as the morning of my long runs.  I started with 1/2 a pill each time and moved up from there to one pill each time.  This works most of the time, but it I eat a lot of soluble fiber/acid in the days before a run, I have to stop more.

I do think that a lot of my problem is emotional - I worry that I'll need to go and that makes me go.  It does help to take the immodium and eat a lot more insoluble fiber (to bulk up the stools to slow them down).  Therefore, I would not discount the prozac option.  It may not help you but might be worth a try.

Also, think about creating a pre-run routine that you follow without fail.  My pre-race meal is steel-cut oats with soymilk and brown sugar  and I find that eating this every time (2+ hrs pre-race) helps give me peace of mind which helps me not have to go during a race.  It doesn't always work but seems to help.  Something different might work for you (peanut butter waffles, PB&J, granola with yogurt, chicken sandwich, etc) but you want something low fat with low/no soluble fiber that also has some protein to stick with you for your race.

I've run with Depends and they work fine.  However, be sure to lube yourself up with bodyglide or vasaline because they will chafe when you start sweating.  And, bring a plastic bag and change of clothes (maybe some wet wipes) so you can clean up if you do have an accident.  I routinely pack wipes for all long runs, just in case.

I hope that you and your mom and your doctors are able to give you back your runs.

[[hugs]]

Steph

• Yvonne31 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2008
    701. Dec 5, 2008 1:11 PM (in response to happybarb)

Hi all you suffering runners. I have been following this thread for a long time and it has made me feel a whole lot less of a freak! I have had very similar symptoms to many of you over the years but in the last couple of years, the cramps and occasional bleeding stopped. Now I often have to go into the bushes on my run- sometimes not.  I have finally scheduled myself for a colonoscopy after procrastinating far to long and wondered if anyone had a problem with the actual procedure due to scarring of the colon or inflamation. It that worry that has kept me from scheduling the procedure until now.

• EatnRun Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    702. Dec 2, 2010 9:05 PM (in response to christa0120)

A few years ago, I read this thread because I was having bloody diarrhea after running. I I tried the immodium AD and it worked but I didn't like having to take medicine for every run and was about to give up running altogether. What finally worked was modifying my diet--I started by trying to eat more raw fruits and vegetables where I make kale or spinach and fruit smoothies for breakfast and lunch but that didn't help so I then cut all gluten out of my diet and it worked! I don't have to take the immodium anymore. I'm still eating the smoothies for breakfast and lunch so it could be a combination but, from what I've read, if you are sensitive or allergic to gluten, it will irritate your intestines. I didn't have any other major symptoms of a gluten sensitivity other than a swolen abdomen in the evenings--that went away too. Anyway, thought I'd share what worked for me and hope it helps someone enjoy running again.

• racebug313 Amateur 25 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    703. Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM (in response to EatnRun)

wow- can I thank you for re-posting on this thread?!  I have been trying to find answers to this problem, had found a lot of forums with people sharing the symptoms, but not much else.  I have been taking 2 ibuprofen about an hour before running, and then 2 pepto chews about 15 minutes before starting, but would definitely like a more natural approach, like how you felt taking the Immodium.  just seems wrong to be taking meds all the time, but I have really taken to love running and so far that's been the only help...  I am interested in cutting back on gluten in my diet and will have to monitor myself and give it a try.  again, thank you for re-posting!

You have a choice- you can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

Crossed the line...

Komen Race for the Cure 10K: 1:08

Spartan Challenge 5K + obstacles: 33:05

Creaky Bones 5K: 30:59

St Pete Turkey Trot 10K- 1:07

Gasparilla Half Marathon (1st!)- 2:42

Coming up:

Oct-       Chicago Marathon

1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...