Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

80844 Views 521 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 2:44 PM by dave48326 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35 Previous Next
  • sixstring819 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    450. Aug 3, 2008 7:14 PM (in response to Mandy_C)
    Re: New folks

I have been terrible this last week.  I had so much going on with the guard I did not do a lot.  I have to get beack into this week but not to hard I am running in Hel Michigan this next weekend!.   I find though if you take the chances you can find excersize and workout anywhere just taking the stairs here and walking htere etc.  Any bit of extra movement helps.

• TKP1954 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    451. Aug 4, 2008 12:29 PM (in response to sixstring819)

Hello Everyone,

We made it back from the Midwest. While we were in Oshkosh, WI. I was able to run every morning. This was an interesting experience for me as the morning temps were generally around the high 60's, with much humidity. But I kept with it. Had a great time at the big airshow! While in Chicago, I was too busy with family to find time to "run" As it was we were doing enough "running around" that I think I covered the base.

Welcome to all the new kids on the block while I was gone. Its great to see this site growing and its information flow growing. There is so much to comment on since I've been gone, lets see is I can get it all.

Lenzlaw - Thank for the tip on the "fartlek", I used it this morning and was happy with my results.

Sixstring819 - Hang in there buddy. Believe it or not there are more important things in life then "running". I know that might be hard to believe.

Stargal - Congrats on the progress and keepping the hubby in step.

Daydream76 - You go for it girl! I'm impressed with your progress.

Mandy - As I mentioned in a previous reply, my wife and I have been married for just over 31 years. We know what you are going through as long ago, after our daughter was born, my wife underwent the same thing. We have been blessed with our "one child" as my wife was unable to have anymore after her. So we will keep you in our prayers and truly understand what you are going through. Remember to keep your head-up when you run! I wish you well.

It may sound crazy, but I'm glad to be back home with my early morning 90 degree DRY heat.. Wishing you all the best and many happy safe miles.

Tom

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    452. Aug 7, 2008 4:55 PM (in response to TKP1954)

Hello Everyone!  Good news !! I got the cast off my hand, but Dr put me in a splint for 2 weeks. At least I can remove it to wash my hand, LOLLL  I been doing very well with my cross training on my off days from running.

My son is a personal trainer and I made the mistake of having a session with him. I think he got me back for all the "No's" I told him when he was a kid. LOLLL  I don't think I'll be able to walk tomorrow, LOLL  Anyway it was a great workout and I'm proud of my results I've gotten since I added cross training.

Glad to hear from everyone. I hope ya'll are having a great week!  It's almost the weekend. WOOOO HOOO!!!

• Marusya Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2008
    453. Aug 8, 2008 9:41 AM (in response to MammaBird)

I am soon turning 18 years old and I am a pretty sporty girl. I play volleyball 2 to three times a week, tennis practically daily, and soccer on rare occasions. There's definately running incorporated in some of these sports, but sometimes it's hard to find people to play with, so the ability to practice isn't really in my control. That is why this year I want to start running on a daily basis. It's something that I can do without having to buy equipment or have to call 10 of my friends before I can get someone to join me. Endurance running is what I'm going for. I live in Brooklyn, NY, so there is always a bunch of races going on in central park, park slope, etc. I'm hoping that at one point I could run a 10k. Right now, I am capable of running two miles straight. What should my next step be? Or is there any particular schedule I should follow to get maxiumum improvement?

• Nova88 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 8, 2008
    454. Aug 8, 2008 10:59 AM (in response to MammaBird)

I am a total newbie !!  I've played ice hockety my whole life (42 years old) but never, ever ran. 

I stated running in April '08 with the goal of running in the Falmouth Road Race (7.1 miles), which is coming up this weekend (Aug 10th) !!  For training, I've run 3-4 times a week, working up from walking 10 minutes to running 6/7 miles each time out.  I did the Falmouth course as a dry run twice - the first took me 57 minutes and the second took me 54 minutes. This summer I ran in the Boston Corporate challange (3 miles) and finished in 22 minutes.  I also ran another 4.8 mile race in North Falmouth and finished that in 35 minutes.  I think I'm ready for the FRR.  (I better be!!)

I love the exercise and the general feeling of knowing that I'm getting into great shape.   It also helps getting up and down on the ice - which is my true passion.

Good luck !

• Nova88 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 8, 2008
    455. Aug 8, 2008 11:07 AM (in response to Marusya)

M - this is a 10K training plan I used to get me ready for the Falmouth Road Race. (Before this - I NEVER ran) I followed the training schedule almost exaclty and I definitely think I'm ready.  Great site for all kinds of info.  Consider starting out with a 5K - anything to build your confidence and experience.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/145.shtml

Good luck!!

• Kelly Crowe Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 31, 2008
    456. Aug 9, 2008 7:06 AM (in response to MammaBird)

You are not alone I'm new at running too.  Im trying to go from a little walking for exercise to walk/run. Does anyone find it easier to run alone or with someone? I have signed up for several 5k races and looking forward to it. I  have started going to the gym. Does anyone have any tips for getting started?

• tygrtygr Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    457. Aug 9, 2008 5:36 PM (in response to Kelly Crowe)

Podrunner.com!

OMG!

Seriously? I don't know what i'd do w/o them! Using podrunner intervals, the 'first day to 5k' option?

Today i ran my first nonstop mile! EVER!!

::dancing::

Oh, and did I mention it's free?

• AlecsMom Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    458. Aug 9, 2008 6:16 PM (in response to Kelly Crowe)

I was running with my son, and he wanted to stop a few places during the run and I didn't that made it tough. I do enjoy the solitude of running with my i-pod. I have been using the from couch to 5k and it is working really for me. I currently on week 3 and love my runs. I am having shoulder surgery in a few weeks and it worrys me that I wil lose my progress.

Best of luck in your running program,

Erika

• TBoneP Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    459. Aug 14, 2008 6:21 PM (in response to AlecsMom)

I'm finally getting settled in -this weekend makes a month since my wedding.The 4th was mas 1st race ever,a 5k,did it in 29:01.Not bad for someone who never has ran before.I'm a 38yr old (on the 25th I'll be 39) mtn biker from NC who now lives in south Ga....not many hills down here to ride on    ...I'm in shape and my job keeps me on the move,which is close to a jog for 9 hrs a day..work and a long bike ride through the woods on saturdays is my workout..I"m doing a 5 mile race-Carrabba's Summer Beach Run coming up next saturday in Jacksonville,Fl.Its the oldest race in florida and the largest beach run in the world.1,700 runners finished last yr.

I loved the last race,which was thru a nieghborhood with shade trees.This is on the beach!!!But it'll be at 7pm,soo not as hot...my new wife keeps thinking I'm crazy to be running,I tell her I'm gonna do this til I can't do it anymore....and after the news I just got,It'll push me REALLY hard to finish with a good time...

I had kidney stones removed 2 weeks before my 1st run...and I still feel good after getting rid of most of them....and good news is........

I'm gonna be a DAD!!!! at 39 yrs old...I'm gonna have some stories to tell this child in a few yrs

This weekend--gonna push my self the hardest ever on my bike AND throw in a run on the beach and dive in to cool off

• TKP1954 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    460. Aug 14, 2008 6:48 PM (in response to TBoneP)

Congratulations! And you are right, you will be running from now on "Dad"... I have had three visits by "kidney stones".  Two out of the three times put me in the hospital. The last one was three weeks before Christmas and the day of our annual Christmas party at the house. No, they didn't party without me.... Excellent on the time for your first race. My date with destiny is October 11th, my first 5k.

Len if you are reading this, any help on Shin discomfort? About three days ago I developed a soreness in my right lower calf. I stopped running during my workout and attempted to walk it out. Yesterday I tried to do my normal routine and immediately realized their would be no running. Today I didn't run or walk. I'm using hot and cold packs on it and the soreness is seems to be going away, until I try to run. I did some reading on Shin Splints and I'm not sure that's what I'm dealing with?? Any recommendations? I'm in week five of the C25K program..

Hope everyone else is doing well?

Happy miles,

Tom

• corocita Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 20, 2008
    461. Aug 16, 2008 8:12 AM (in response to MammaBird)

ME!! I haven't even stared. I just posted wanting to hear from new runners, too. How is it going for you? How did you get started? What are your goals?

• TBoneP Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    462. Aug 16, 2008 5:58 PM (in response to TBoneP)

Sitting here watching the olympics.The womens marathon is on,and I can't beliave all the shoving that goes on in the packs.Where's the best place to start in a race?This race I'm doing saturday has ChampionChip scoring,so it doesn't matter where I start-or does it?

Also,what is the best clothing to wear?I ran in a pair of jean shorts and some hanes boxers briefs.When mtn biking a wore those bikers shorts,would those work hin running too or cause problem?

Sorry about the dumb questions,just a little curious.

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    463. Aug 16, 2008 6:33 PM (in response to TBoneP)

I was sitting watching the Olympics and the marathon too. And it got me motivated, I do not like the C25K because I can't do the stop and then go. So tonight I went out and haven't worked out in a lllllllllllooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggg time I jogged 7 minutes straight!!! I know thats not a lot but next time I run, Monday, I will try and go for 10 minutes without stopping. Both pairs of my compression shorts are in the trash they ripped so I put deodrant on my legs and that really helped with them not sticking together. I am so happy now!

TBoneP I personally would go with the biker shorts and they shouldn't cause a problem. I have always been advised not to wear jeans or jean shorts while working, and while you are a man and I am woman I don't know how that would affect you down there. Trying to put it nicely. Hope you have a great day everyone!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    464. Aug 19, 2008 1:09 PM (in response to TKP1954)
    TKP1954 wrote:  . . .

Len if you are reading this, any help on Shin discomfort? About three days ago I developed a soreness in my right lower calf. I stopped running during my workout and attempted to walk it out. Yesterday I tried to do my normal routine and immediately realized their would be no running. Today I didn't run or walk. I'm using hot and cold packs on it and the soreness is seems to be going away, until I try to run. I did some reading on Shin Splints and I'm not sure that's what I'm dealing with?? Any recommendations? I'm in week five of the C25K program..

Hope everyone else is doing well?

Happy miles,

Tom

Is it shin (front) or calf (rear)? The fact that it's sore when you're not running means it's probably not compartment syndrome, which usually only hurts during exercise. It's also possible that you have a stress fracture. You need a bone scan to diagnose that correctly and it just takes time to heal. The "wall shin raises" here http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161.htm have worked for my shins (dorsiflex=lift the toes; plantar flex=lower the toes). Calf pain is harder to treat and takes longer to heal. Here's one article, admittedly with a product to sell: http://www.thestick.net/Articles/Calf_%20Heart_%20Attack.htm. Here is an article with strengthening and stretching exercises: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt.html. And another with symptoms and treatment: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/backlowerleg/calfstrain.htm.

Len

Len

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...