Skip navigation

1579 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2008 6:10 PM by KevinBeatty RSS
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2008 9:28 AM

America's Finest City Half Marathon

• jspitzberg Active.com Staff 37 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    2. Jul 10, 2008 2:39 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: America's Finest City Half Marathon

fun race.  however, not enough water stations on a hot day.

• at53609 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 18, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to Guest )

Always a beautiful city to run in!  Great Run!

• TenaciousO Community Moderator 54 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    4. Aug 18, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to Guest )

I wish they could have blocked off traffic a little better.  I think it's just because drivers are inconsiderate and trying to drive through the route.  I saw 2 cars cut through a group of runners.  Personally, I like the races where they can completely block off the street, but so is life in a big city.  Maybe I should move to Indiana.  Then I would just have to run around cow pies!

• eramos42 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    5. Aug 18, 2008 10:01 AM (in response to Guest )

Tons of supporters at the finish line that made the last 1/4 mile exciting.

• delasol2 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    7. Aug 18, 2008 10:15 AM (in response to Guest )

Good race, it's great to see I'm one of 7000 crazy others waking up at 5:00 am to run this scenic route. This route is much more forgiving then the La Jolla Half, even the last incline on mile 12. I'm glad there were spray mist tents on the route to run through that helped on the 9 & 10 mile markers. I will definitely do this event next year.

• Michelle Ulrich Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    8. Aug 18, 2008 10:31 AM (in response to Guest )

Great Race!  I thought everything about the event was great.  I love the course.  It is just challenging enough with the rolling hills in the beginning and then finishing up 6th into Balboa Park is great!  I think this course is a good way to see Downtown San Diego.

• LaurenP Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2007
    9. Aug 18, 2008 10:46 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race!  The route was a little crowded though, they should consider a wave start.  The hill at the end is so challenging, but so worth it!!

• Kelly Chase Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2008
    10. Aug 19, 2008 1:38 PM (in response to Guest )

I like AFC because it's a nice point-to-point run, but it has quite a few failings compared to the other half marathons in San Diego.

1. The expo being on an island with one entry and exit point makes for A LOT of traffic. I've seen expos at Road Runner that were more efficient. I know the Sheraton is the official hotel, but it's completely impractical.

2. August tends to be the hottest of the San Diego halfs: Carlsbad, San Dieguito, La Jolla and Silver Strand are all at more reasonable times of the year. Though, I'm thankful for an event in that time period and the misters are a help. I'm just happy it wasn't as hot this year so I wasn't dying for a long stretch on Harbor without a water stop.

3. The start. I know this didn't happen in 07, but the necessity to bus everyone to the start and timing issues meant that NO ONE got into the areas broken up by finish time. Which meant the already extremely crowed first 2 miles were even worse as you were dodging slower runners.

4. In 2007, I could actually hear the announcer at the start. This time, I was one of the groups nearest the front, but it was impossible to make out what was being said. This added more to the confusion of the start.

Overall, it's a worthwhile race with some negative points such as higher temperatures and a necessary bus ride (which was ungodly hot and stuffy in our bus); however, this year in particular was a major let down because of the botched start and a 2-hour drive along Harbor to the expo. (Oh, but WAY better shirts than 2007!)

• KevinBeatty Rookie 15 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    11. Aug 19, 2008 6:10 PM (in response to Guest )

First time running AFC and loved the layout of the course.  Definitely need to train for the long downhill run at the beginning of the course.  Could have used more water stations but being that it's in mid-August it's always going to be a scorcher.  Can't wait for 2009!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...