Skip navigation

10134 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2008 9:13 AM by makkem 1 2 Previous Next
theguppet333 Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 28, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2008 10:32 AM

Activity after a marathon

Hi, everyone!  I'm a first timer, and I find all the comments here in the community extremely helpful!  Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone make comment on what to do immediately after you complete a marathon.  And, if someone has already addressed the issue... then sorry for brining it up again!

I've been staying on top of my training schedule and have found that I'm not sure what to do besides hydrate and lightly snack after the run.  For example... since I feel tired afterwards, should I take a nap?  If so, how long?  Should I refrain from sitting down for long periods of time?  Or, should I at least walk for a mile or two to keep my muscles stretched and warm?  Massage?  Relax in the pool?

I'm very interested in hearing what all of you have say!  Thanks in advance!  Thorin

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    1. Aug 23, 2008 10:49 AM (in response to theguppet333)
    Re: Activity after a marathon

Definitely keep moving afterward you finish for a while.  Walking a bit will keep you from stiffening up.  Best, best, best advice ever:  When you get back to your hotel or wherever you are staying, take an ice bath.  The difference between how sore you are with and without the ice bath is huge.

Try it on your long runs also. 

I've read to have some protein to help start the repair of muscles within the first 45 minutes or so.  For some reason, however, the post-marathon food always seems to consist of carbs only.  Look for the nearest burger stand!   There was a great post-marathon (or long run) time line in the last Runner's World.  It's posted elsewhere in these threads, but I'll have to look it up.  If you have the magazine, look it up.

Everyone else will have tons of useful info.  The most important to me is walking a half mile or so after the finish, eating some protein AND carbs soon after, even a little, and rehydration throughout the day/night and an ice bath.  As far as a nap, I usually try to take a short one, especially if I'm going out for a post-marathon celebration later, but usually am too hyped up to sleep.  You're going to love this!

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    2. Aug 23, 2008 2:53 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

I usually keep walking for at least 10-15 minutes after I cross the finish line.  Then I do lots of stretches and ice my legs as soon as possible.  Then I eat slowly but surely whatever crosses my path, take a shower, get sime nice comfy clothes on and take a long a$$ nap.  Seriously 3-4 hrs sometimes.  I feel ok afterwards, it's that day afterwards...make sure you don't have to climb any stairs...:D  U'll do great, don't worry.

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 23, 2008 3:20 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

OK, keep moving is probably #1 but it can also be very hard to do, depending on when you finish.  The finish/refreshment area can get very crowded at times.  Then rehydration (no, beer doesn't count) and getting some carbs are next, followed by (or including) protein.  Can anybody say cheeseburger?  An ice bath is good for those who like such things.  The usual recommendation is to hold the massage until the next day.

Len

Len

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    4. Aug 23, 2008 3:58 PM (in response to theguppet333)

Yes to icebaths, walking, napping and definitely to a juicy cheeseburger and fries!!  

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Aug 24, 2008 2:02 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

I can't eat much RIGHT after a marathon.  Light snacks are it for me.  Everything else just seems to take too much effort.  And plenty of hydration.  But as everyone else has said, keep moving.  Your legs will thank you the next day.  I walked several miles after the Country Muisc Marathon and felt great that afternoon and the next day.  Not ready to run a 2nd but well enough to confirm the results.

And definitely a nap.  After I get out of the shower, there's not much else on my mind.  And like Jesus, it could be 3-4 hours, easy.  A lot of that depends on how much sleep I got two nights before.

And after I wake up, it's time to think about some real food.  A nice bacon cheeseburger and beer.

The big prolbem with MCM is it's VERY hard to keep moving after you cross the line.  I stood in PAIN for quite a while waiting for my medal and snacks, then my finisher photo, and then the line for the metro.  I did a lot of walking in place.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Redward Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    6. Aug 24, 2008 8:30 AM (in response to theguppet333)

Some marathons, like NYC, force the participants to walk for 15 minutes or so after the race. Personally, I found that extremely annoying, and don't think it matters that much in recovery.  My best recovery was at a small marathon hosted out of a YMCA which had a hot tub available for runners after the race. Beyond that, eat and drink what your body dictates. Some people gobble protein and carbs, which I suppose is ok. One year the MCM had a free beer stand in a semi-obscure location near the finish, and few noticed it.  I enjoyed a couple of beers there, and looked for it last time I ran the race, but it seems to have vanished.

A veteran marathoner told me early in the game that you should go out and jog a mile the next day, no matter how bad you feel, and that seems to be a good way to get back into running mode. I don't know whether it really pumps out all the waste products in your muscles as it is supposed to or not.

The important thing to recognize is that your body is badly damaged, and you must recover. Don't go out and try to run more than a mile or two at a time for a week or so.  Afterwards, don't race for a month, even if you feel like it.

Ed

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    7. Aug 24, 2008 8:54 AM (in response to Redward)

|

Redward wrote:

Some marathons, like NYC, force the participants to walk for 15 minutes or so after the race. Personally, I found that extremely annoying, and don't think it matters that much in recovery. My best recovery was at a small marathon hosted out of a YMCA which had a hot tub available for runners after the race. Beyond that, eat and drink what your body dictates. Some people gobble protein and carbs, which I suppose is ok. One year the MCM had a free beer stand in a semi-obscure location near the finish, and few noticed it. I enjoyed a couple of beers there, and looked for it last time I ran the race, but it seems to have vanished.

A veteran marathoner told me early in the game that you should go out and jog a mile the next day, no matter how bad you feel, and that seems to be a good way to get back into running mode. I don't know whether it really pumps out all the waste products in your muscles as it is supposed to or not.

The important thing to recognize is that your body is badly damaged, and you must recover. Don't go out and try to run more than a mile or two at a time for a week or so. Afterwards, don't race for a month, even if you feel like it.

Ed

Ed your experience never seizes to amaze me.  Yo do so many things that are contrary to the mainstream advice.  I am glad it works for you but much like I am you are a rare beast when it comes to running.  I am speaking from a marathon or 2 a month this year and here is what I do:

1.  Walk and enjoy the legs cramping.  Stretch as needed but walk none the less

2.  Drink some water or sports drink.  I enjoy a beer but usually not immediately following a race.

3.  Eat what ever it is the body is craving.  I am not big on carbs at this point even though that is what I need.

4.  Find ice for my lower extremities and begin the icing process.  Ice baths work well if able to be had.

5.  Naps are not necessary but if tired take one.

6.  Beer and a light meal are now a great thing.  Another beer for good measure.

Now that I am totally dehydrated I begin the water sipping plan for the remainder of the day.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    8. Aug 24, 2008 9:17 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Jimmy D Jarhead wrote:

Ed your experience never seizes to amaze me.  Yo do so many things that are contrary to the mainstream advice.  I am glad it works for you but much like I am you are a rare beast when it comes to running.

Jimmy, play nice.

Ed, it seems like you're a seasoned marathoner, but as you may have noticed, there are many other seasoned marathoners on the board whose ideas may differ somewhat from yours. However, those ideas (like yours) are either based in empirical research or from personal experience. I think with endurance events, it is difficult to speak in absolutes so lets everyone play nice, suggest what works for them, but keep the focus on supporting newer runners.

Also Ed, if you notice a bit of a pack mentality, it's because there is one. Many of us on this forum are friends and not only have met, but trained and run races with each other (even though we're scattered across the nation). We support each other in running and personally, so I'm sorry if you're catching some of our natural instinct to protect and defend our own.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• Redward Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    9. Aug 24, 2008 10:32 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I haven't been posting lately, but you're correct that I have run more than a few marathons.  In the end, all that really matters is training.  I realize that the methods may change for people who plan on being out there four or five hours, but my viewpoint is generally that you should train so that you won't be out there that long.

Ed

• MariahAU Legend 227 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    10. Aug 24, 2008 10:59 AM (in response to Redward)

ouch! I train so I am not in pain and am able to have fun. If it takes me 4-5-6 hours.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    11. Aug 24, 2008 11:08 AM (in response to Redward)

Redward wrote:

I haven't been posting lately, but you're correct that I have run more than a few marathons. In the end, all that really matters is training. I realize that the methods may change for people who plan on being out there four or five hours, but my viewpoint is generally that you should train so that you won't be out there that long.

Ed

Kat is correct I must play nicely.  That being said I try and not push those that are not as fast out of my way.  My advice is for those that will be out there having fun and pushing their bodies in ways I don't always have to.  I have always finished my races in the 3 hours range.  I usually push through the later miles with little fluid intake to save it for those in the 4-5 hour range so that they can have the fluid needed to keep them safe.  While I applaud that you are fast I think it wild to assume that all people can run these speeds, no matter how much training they have done.  In my first marathon I finished while there were still 17,000 people yet to finish and 100's who had started but probably never finished.  Again I am sorry for my harsh tone but I am a front runner that respects the back of the packers more so then I do the elites.

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    12. Aug 24, 2008 11:11 AM (in response to Redward)

Well, Ed, I find your point of view interesting.  At times I agree with you and at times not.  I certainly respect your experience as a runner.  I come at the whole thing from a different perspective, having never been very fast (wrong body type I think) and as I've gotten older I'm not getting any faster.  But I love running and the challenge of the marathon.  I'm a little surprised you don't think the walking would help in recovery.  But then I didn't realize it until I did it a couple times almost by accident and found I felt better.  I have to agree that being forced to walk after the marathon would annoy me too, even if I did think it had benefits.  Sometimes all you want to do is stop for a few minutes.  Other than that, my after marathon habits are not far off yours, even if I advise beginners differently.  I take in whatever my body wants.  I pretty much have to force fluids for the first hour and I can't eat for about 4 hours.  Nita offered me half her cheeseburger after Nashville and I wrapped it and took it back to my hotel room.  I finally ate it about 4:30 that afternoon.

Len

Len

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    13. Aug 24, 2008 2:19 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

I take in whatever my body wants. I pretty much have to force fluids for the first hour and I can't eat for about 4 hours. Nita offered me half her cheeseburger after Nashville and I wrapped it and took it back to my hotel room. I finally ate it about 4:30 that afternoon.

Len

Normally I would never give away a cheeseburger, but I had just finished a hot dog at the finish line   I usually keep walking after long training runs -- well, always -- but after CMM it took every ounce of energy I had to step over the finish line -- and I'm not sure I would have even done that without Jimmy's pushing me -- and I HAD to stop for fear of falling over dead if I took another step.  I stopped right at the finish line for about five minutes, catching my breath, then sat my as$ under the nearest tree and didn't move for 30 or 40 minutes.  Of course we walked quite a bit later that day, but I wasn't sore much at all the next day, luckily.

• TampaTom Legend 252 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    14. Aug 24, 2008 3:02 PM (in response to theguppet333)

Thorin,

Well as you can read you're going to get a variety of advice.  I'm a somewhat new runner, having been running about 15 months and have run 2 marathons with the MCM being my third. 

After my first marathon, my IT band was hurting me and all I wanted to do was get to some ice and sit down for a while (30-45 minutes) while I rehydrated with water,gatorade, and a smoothie that my wife retrieved for me.  Once I could start walking I wanted to find a cheeseburger and fries.

After my second marathon, I was feeling good with no pain, so I walked a bit, got some liquid (see above), and then went back towards the finish line to cheer for my buddies as they came in.... then went looking for the cheeseburger and fries.

When it came time to leave the marathon area In both cases my muscles wanted to cramp as I tried to get into the car so I had to take it very slow.  

In both cases I took a 3 hour nap sometime later that afternoon but woke in time for dinner and stayed up the rest of the evening. 

For me Beer is for that night and not something I want right after.

But as you can see everyone is a little different.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points