Skip navigation

10448 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2008 7:28 AM by cplmtz0121 1 2 Previous Next
andrewblur Legend 530 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2008 9:54 AM

Half Marathon substitute for long run?

Wise and sage friends (are your there lenzlaw et al?).  I have signed up for two half marathons in the coming weeks.  Later, I discovered they happen to occur on my two Sundays I 'm supposed to do 20 miles before tapering. My question is, can the intensity of the races balance out the mileage lost each time? Or do I need to add something during the weeks after?  Really appreciate any and all advice.  Thanks! Carl (aka "blur".)

To live a life of safety and complacency is to live without passion or purpose.

Wenn Sie es oben haben, erhalten Sie es aufrecht !

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Aug 27, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to andrewblur)
    Re: Half Marathon substitute for long run?

A hard half definitely is at least the physiologic stress of most 20 mile training runs.  A half run at goal marathon pace can be a very fine substitute for most people and takes less downtime for recovery than the all-out half.  A half run like most 20 mile training runs, however, would probably warrant a few extra miles that day to get you what you want.  Have a good time!

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    2. Aug 27, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to andrewblur)

What if you do a slow 3 mile warm up, run the race, and then do another 3 mile cool down?

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    3. Aug 27, 2008 10:23 AM (in response to andrewblur)

I wouldn't consider a half to be equivalent to a 20 mile LSD. An LSD is all about building endurance; a half is about controlled speed for a good distance. Ideally, I would recommend doing some schedule juggling and switch weeks for your 20 milers. If you simply can't for some reason, then I'd do similar to what Jesus suggested - a 1 mile warm up, race 13.1,  a 2 mile cool down, & an additional 3.9 at whatever pace you've got left. A 3 mile warm-up may tire you out too much for the race. Get at least one normal 20 LSD run in though, preferably 2 or 3.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Aug 27, 2008 10:43 AM (in response to Courir26)

I'm in between Immer and Craig.  Everything I've read says a race is equivalent to a 25 to 30% longer training run.  For a half that means 16 - 17 miles.  So add a one mile warmup and 2 miles after.  That said, juggling your schedule would be nice if you can manage it.  The problem with that is the 20 and the half may fall on consecutive weekends.  In that case, be sure to take it easy the week in between.  You need to do your best to recover from the one before you do the other.

Len

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Aug 27, 2008 11:21 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I'm in the same boat but instead of running my 19 or 18 mile long runs I'm fitting a 20 in between a couple of half marathons.  I've already done one 20 miler so I'm good there.  I just want to keep the endurance going while building speed -- and nothing says speed like a 13.1 mile tempo run.    I'm with Craig though on the purpose of the 20 miler.  That's a lot different than running a half with some other miles tacked on though.

Screw it, PR the half marathons and catch up on a Saturday with your 20. 

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    8. Aug 27, 2008 6:32 PM (in response to andrewblur)

Carl,

I was thinking, when I first read your dilemma, that you should runa nice very very easy slow 4-5 mile warm up then get some water and gu in you before hammering out a nice 13 mile marathon pace run.  then follow it up witha beer drinking cool down!  I remember I wanted to runa 5K race one St. Patties day and I was scheduled a 17 miler.  I ran 14 miles before starting and then ran one of my better 5K's for that time frame.  Who knows maybe a PR!

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• Redward Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    9. Aug 27, 2008 7:02 PM (in response to andrewblur)

The rule of thumb is that a half marathon is equivalent to an 18 mile training run. Don't get hung up trying to jog 4.9 miles to make the miles come out right; adding those kind of junk miles a waste of time.

Ed

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    10. Aug 27, 2008 7:14 PM (in response to Redward)

Carl,

Good luck with the half!

|

This place is like home!!!!

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Aug 27, 2008 8:38 PM (in response to Redward)
    Redward wrote:

The rule of thumb is that a half marathon is equivalent to an 18 mile training run. Don't get hung up trying to jog 4.9 miles to make the miles come out right; adding those kind of junk miles a waste of time.

Ed

Ed, you're my new best friend!  I love running the half and would MUCH rather do that than run 18 "regular" slow miles.  This weekend, I'll be rockin' and rollin'!!!

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    13. Aug 28, 2008 8:08 AM (in response to andrewblur)

Hey! Glad to see you back, Carl. Or as I prefer, not really Andrew.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    14. Aug 28, 2008 9:16 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Holly, Jerry or anybody else from the area.  How far away is Fredericksburg from DC?

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points