Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14475 Views 137 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2008 7:44 AM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • mickeefynn Amateur 104 posts since
    Jul 15, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Aug 28, 2008 8:01 AM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - August

Hey big shot! Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to doing a local 5K in October. and will finish C25K this Sunday. I've been running every other day because it works with my schedule and I've felt ok doing that. My primary focus is to CONTINUE... to avoid quitting after the C25K structure is gone. I enjoy running but don't feel like the habit has really settled in. Ya know what I mean? Health, weight maintenance, continued mobility and fun are my main goals with this. But I'll have none of that if I bale on the running. I ran for a couple of years in the late 80s; 20mins 3 times per week.  I'm doing 30 mins+, 3 or 4 times a week right now, so that's really great I think. But back then, I became sick with the flu for a week and never ran again until this C25K experience. I really want this to stick. I'm thinking that races will be a really nice addition to keep me motivated but I'm thinkin' I'll be the granny comin' up the rear and that's ok by me. So how do you stay with it? How do you get to the point where you can't IMAGINE going without your run??? How do you endure illness and/ or injury to come out the other side ready to go at it again? I love having a forum of seasoned folks to pose these questions to. Are there any of you who came back to running or came to running for the first time in your late 50s or older? It's that "use it or lose it" time of life! I'd like to opt for "using it." mickeefynn

mickeefynn
    Jul 15, 2008
    122. Aug 28, 2008 10:04 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks for the welcome! Wow fred...I'm envious.  You started young, I'd guess... Any suggestions on how to hang on to the passion when starting later in life??? One run at a time... going for extending time a bit at a time? I'm really interested. Thanks!   BTW... I ran my first rain run yesterday! It was great! mickeefynn

mickeefynn
  • Ileneforward Expert 120 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    123. Aug 28, 2008 10:16 AM (in response to mickeefynn)

What has worked great for me was joining a local running group, and then going to all the weekly fun runs.  It is so motivating to get out and run when you know you are meeting folks.

I started by joining a running training group that was associated with the local running shoe store that was training folks to run a half marathon.   After that I heard about other running clubs in my area.   There are all abilities and all ages out running and it was quite an eye-opener.  Now after 4.5 years, I am one of the regulars that shows the newbies the routes. 

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    124. Aug 28, 2008 2:39 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Welcome Mickee. I'm with Ilene on the motivation part.  Joining a running club, entering races and trying to get better, hanging out with and running with other runners who are good, are all good motivators.  But in the end, it has to come from you.  There must be a reason why you are doing it.  Explore what that is and leverage it.

If you are in the Couch to fiveK plan, then use your fiveK as a benchmark time and get competitive about it.  Vow to break that time next race.  Slowly increase your mileage (there's a good goal), slowly build up your weekly long run (that's another one).  There are people here who are such veterans of running and racing, such as Fred, Ksrunr,  Raider and Jim24315, they don't need to examine their motivation. They have always wanted to succeed, and continue to run hard.  I don't think they are examining or questioning their motivation at any time.

5 miles walking for me today in 1:28.  I should do 25 or so this week.  Last week was 23.   Spareribs

Jul 15, 2008
    125. Aug 28, 2008 3:11 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ilene & Ribs... been trying to find a running club, but no luck with the one local sporting goods store in town (small town!). I have a few people I will call to see if they know of anything organized around the area. Love the idea and will keep you posted. So for now, my motivation is that what was once impossible for me, is now possible. And I am grateful for that!   mickeefynn

mickeefynn
    Dec 14, 2007
    126. Aug 29, 2008 8:30 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Friday:  3 slow @ 18's.  Should have a 25-26 mile week after tomorrow.  Next steps, walk one day a week at brisker pace.   Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    127. Aug 29, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Big shot succumed to a weak mind this morning.  Only made 13.5 of scheduled 17.  So; tomorrow I go to do 17 again.   21 was relatively easy last week and next week is 22.

kssissy

Dec 14, 2007
    128. Aug 30, 2008 3:47 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Those of us who are not sissies are up early to walk at the lake.  Don't let me come back home and find out you wimped out on your run again.  A little heat and humidity and a long run on tired legs is just what you need to toughen you up!   Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    129. Aug 30, 2008 8:01 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Come on down here Ribs; dare you!!      You're up and at it early.   I was too.  Up at 4:00 so I could start out on the island at 5:00.  Ran 45 mins. with one training partner.  Came back to start to pick up a masters female runner/triathlete so she wouldn't have to run alone.  Another 45 mins and then back to start to pick up the regular starting group.   Got  my 17 done not good not bad just done.   Most of it before the sun came out and baked us good.   2 miles of barefoot running on the beach splashing thru the waves.

I wonder if Raider kidnapped Fred again?

Dec 14, 2007
    130. Aug 30, 2008 8:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sounds like you were the mayor of CC this morning!  Good work.

I have to settle for what I can do however, and today was a monster day.  6 miles @ 14:19 per mile, my best yet.   Spareribs

Jul 15, 2008
    133. Aug 30, 2008 12:15 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Impressive Fred and friends! I will run... I will increase time and distance... I will keep trying to better the mind and bod... I can. I will... I gotta!   Thanks for the inspiration.  mickeefynn

mickeefynn
  • euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    134. Aug 31, 2008 12:00 PM (in response to mickeefynn)

Mickeefynn, no "B.S."* advice available from this old lady. My only suggestion would be to add some flexibilty work and cross-training into your plan to keep you healthy.

I can only remember as far back as last Thursday and my time on a treadmill. I actually enjoyed it and did 4 miles. 9:30, 9:30, 9:30, 9:13 with a standard warm up and cool down. Off Friday, 30 miles on the bike yesterday and 50 miles today. I'm planning a trail run tomorrow.

Fred, it's time for a new month.

*Big Shot

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...