Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1945 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2008 9:16 PM by ShelbyCanino RSS
carrotnstick Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2008 9:03 AM

Running and pregnant

Hi,

I am 23 years old and approximately 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby. As far as I know I have not had any previous miscarriages so I don't know what my risk for one is. I do not have diabetes or hypertension. Before I got pregnant I was running about 3 days a week, and was preparing to start training for a half marathon in the fall - this is now postponed until next year! Since I've become pregnant, even though my doctor gave me the ok as long as I don't get out of breath or get dehydrated, I have stopped running because I've been so scared about hurting the pregnancy. I know exercise is healthy during pregnancy, I'm just so scared! I want to start light running again; I think I will wait until after the ultrasound at the end of this week. Does anyone have any encouraging words or advice? Thanks

• RunnerGrrlMom Rookie 1 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    1. Jun 18, 2008 5:49 PM (in response to carrotnstick)
    Re: Running and pregnant

Hi Carrotnstick!

First, CALM DOWN.  If you are young, healthy, have been running, and got the go ahead from your OB, easy running will help you and your baby to have a better pregnancy, delivery, and recovery.  With my first pregnancy, it was running that tipped me off to what was going on--I could run an easy 5 miles, but as soon as I tried to mix in long runs, I was exhausted.  Given that I had completed a marathon just a few months prior, that seemed strange, to say the least.

Anyway, my experience:

First pregnancy at 36, continued to run through 29 weeks (including running my favorite 10K at 25 weeks).  After that, I switched to the elliptical trainer and worked out on my usual schedule until two days before delivery.

Second pregnancy at 40, couldn't keep running much past the first trimester, mostly, I think because I was keeping up with an active 3 year old and working more hours.  However, I stayed as active as possible, with the support of my OB, and I know it helped me to have a smooth delivery and recovery.

The most important thing to do is pay attention to how you feel, treat yourself kindly, get plenty of rest and fluids, and take those prenatal vitamins.

Good Luck!

Marie

• ErinMuse Rookie 54 posts since
    Mar 17, 2008
    2. Jun 28, 2008 3:46 PM (in response to RunnerGrrlMom)

Carrotnstick,

Congratulations!  I also agree with Marie take a deep breath and calm down.  You have gotten the ok from your OB, and both of you are going to pay attention to what you can do.

I did not run during my first pregnancy although I wish I had.  My OB was a brand new doctor, and she didn't feel comfortable with it.  That was ok with me because I wanted an excuse to eat for two.  With that, I took about a year off from running.  It was really hard to start back up because I realized that I had to start all over again.

During my second pregnancy, I had been running consistently and I was signed up for two half marathons.  With the same doctor as before, we embarked on a running and pregnancy journey together.  I kept a wonderful food and running journal, so she could keep up with me.  I ended up running until I was 30 weeks pregnant.  I also ran in the two half marathons.  I didn't "race" them, I slowed down and enjoyed them.  By 30 weeks, I felt like running was making me tired so I did other cross training activities.  :o)

Good luck!

Erin

• Running Mom 41123 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 17, 2008
    3. Jul 7, 2008 6:03 AM (in response to carrotnstick)

Okay I can not inspire myself. I did not take up running until after my babies were born. However, I recently ran the Go Red for Women 5k at Disneyworld. The winning female was 4 months pregnant. So I say keep up the running.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    4. Jul 7, 2008 3:33 PM (in response to Running Mom 41123)

I just ran a 5k with a woman who said she was running 5k races up until 3 weeks before the baby was born!    She told me she was even interviewed for a magazine.   She's fine, baby was fine.  However  do what you think is best for you!   There's always the stationary bike or elipical trainer if you're not comfortable with running right now.

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    5. Aug 31, 2008 9:03 PM (in response to carrotnstick)

I did not run with my first because I didn 't know that I could. With number two I have an OB that is an avid runner, and she supports me awesomely!  My biggest problem is that I have slowed down significantly due to weight gain.  I am running 15-20 miles per week in my fourth month, but it isn't as fun as it used to be :_| . Work in some cross training and pool to keep in shape overall and keep an eye on the fit of your running shoes. (You can go up a size or two depending on your fluid retention/weight gain, etc.) Good luck and keep in trucking!

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • Jessruns256 Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 17, 2008
    6. Nov 20, 2008 8:15 PM (in response to carrotnstick)

I ran through the first 2 trimesters with my baby.  You should definately go slower.  Try to see running not so much as a workout but a way to relax now...you will need the downtime later.  Congrats on your baby to be!

Jess

• ShelbyCanino Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    7. Nov 20, 2008 9:16 PM (in response to carrotnstick)

Hi,

Had two children and did a program called "stroller strides" while pregnant, in between babies, and post pregnancy.  Exercise is the best thing you can do for yourself and for you baby.  Just don't over do it.  Know when to stop and take it easy.  As long as your doctor is giving you a green light I would do some light running or join a program like stroller strides to get your exercise in.....Hang in there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...