Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10481 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2008 6:46 AM by ragamuffinruns 1 2 Previous Next
crzhair73 Amateur 9 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 1, 2008 8:06 PM

i have made a terrible mistake! but i don't want to back out!

Okay, so hey there.  Here is what i've done.  My nephew is in the marines and is deployed right now.  So, his girlfriend and me have signed up for the marine mud run 5k.  she is 20 and in great shape.  i am 34 and just lost 30 pounds, but have never ever ever been athletic.  So, i tested the grounds a bit, did 3 miles on the school track which is 1/5 of a mile, and i would jog one, walk one, etc, and did the whole thing.  So, i thought, this is do-able... and i commited to the marine mud run.  Now, fast forward to this morning, where i tried 2 miles, on real roads with real up and down hills like the mud run will have.  oh my, i thought we were gonna have to call the EMTs... I dont think i over pushed it too much b/c i would jog, walk, etc,  but this time, my lungs and heart were begging me to stop!!!!  it was terrible.  SO,,, here is the problem.  Today is 9/1  the race is 9/20!!!  I know i won't be able to run the whole thing, but I need to finish it.  I can't let my marine boy down!!  So, although I know its not recommended.. please help me train for this in a faster amount of time.  I have also been doing a little kickboxing on the side, so, if i need to not do that okay, just please please help me.  its for such a good cause!!  but the 85 year old women last year finished in 50 min.  Thanks in advance for any of you with positive advice!!!

• Deborah Acosta Community Moderator 69 posts since
    Nov 2, 2007

You can do anything you set your mind too and Active.com has lots of training tools and people to keep you motivated.  Where are you located at?  Where is the 5k mudrun?

Continue running at least 3-4 days a week and keep it to a minimum of 1-2 miles each run.  If you have to run walk them you will notice as each week passes it will start to become a lot more easy to run.  It's all repetiveness... Keep at it and don't be discouraged, you didn't make a mistake!!!

Semper Fi,

Deborah

USMC 1994-1998

Happy Running,

~ Deborah

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007

Just remember- this mud run is for fun, not a contest! Keep on training and the day will be here before you know it- and it will be so entertaining and you will be exilarated to finish! Yes, some old lady could finish it fast- but she probably trained for months to do it. Yes, it is not fun to run right now and you probably feel like you are about to die; but you can push yourself out of the comfort zone and visualize that triumph of accomplishment that you will get from participation.  Yes, this is going to be a good time! Seriously, the mud runs at Camp Pendelton are just fantastic events that become cherished memories. So puff  and pant away and on run day just go out and enjoy the **** out of yourself!:)

Semper Fidelis and happy training!

Jill

USMC 2000- Present

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • Michael Grover Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 26, 2008

Sarah,

I too recently started running a couple years ago and did my first 1/2 marathon at the Rock n Roll in Va. Beach.  It about killed me but I enjoyed it so much that I had to do another one.  I learned from the first and now I've completed my first full marathon and am ready to do two more half's, one in Oct. and one in March.  You will see that on one day you will be out of breath but your legs will be fine, then another day just the opposite.  What is happening is that your building up the two things you need for long distance running.  And like the people say, just have fun with it.  It's not a race, the important thing is that you took that first step, just know that this running thing get addictive, lol.  You'll love it.  Please let me know how you do.  By the way, do you live in Va. Beach?

Mike

• Olive Burtis Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 28, 2008

I am 43 years old and I recently started running also because I have been trying to quit smoking.  To keep me going, I also joined a 5K which will be held on October 4, so I am in the same boat you are.  I had been running 6 weeks (6 days a week - 1 rest) and had just hit 2 miles when I came down with a severe illness that made me go on antibiotics for 2 treatments, so I couldn't run at all for 3 weeks.  When I started again, it felt like I was starting new all over again.  This time though, I joined a local gym and am doing strength training along with the running, which I think is a little harder.  Keep going - you didn't make a mistake and you will feel like a whole new you very soon.  You will see little things like your arms and legs and shoulders trimming down and looking better than they ever have, and that's just from the running.  You'll also feel so much better about yourself.  You just finished 2 miles, you should punch a fist in the air and say "I DID IT!!" even if no one is around.  Nothing makes you feel better than accomplishing something that you NEVER thought you would.  Increase in little increments -- I did an increase of 2 tenths of a mile every 4 or 5 days, then when that got OK  (it's never "easy"), I would increase another 2 tenths -- try this to see if that's a little better.  Also, try not to go to a walk, but slow down to where the jog is almost as slow as a fast walk, this will help increase your lung capacity and keep you moving.  Don't try to go fast - the goal is to finish and feel good!

Let me know how you make out!

• Michael Grover Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 26, 2008

How's your training going?  Only 10 more days to go, are you excited?  I'm working on running the 1/2 marathon coming up in Oct. on the Norfolk Naval Base.  It's interrested to see the little improvements from week to week.

• mcanes0063 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2008

just start running, you don't have to be a marathon runner or even a hardcore athlete to run a 5k/10k (I believe the Mud Run is a 10K course).  It's not a hilly course luckily so that's less training you'll have to do.  It's not that hilly tho.  Try running some dirt and gravel roads to get used to feel of the ground underneath your feet because let me assure you, the surface you run on makes an incredible difference so that's the first start.  The main thing you need to to think about as far as training goes is make sure not to overtrain.  The Mud Run is an incredibly fun event you'll have a blast!  Good luck and if you have any questions just hit me up.

• jersey-will Pro 87 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008

Hi Sarah,

You know what ? Don't be surprised to find out just how much fun it is to run. And don't be surprised to  think that " hey, I think I'll run in next years Marine Corp Marathon" Believe me, if you set your mind to do it, you WILL. I ran my first marathon (MCM 08) at the age of fitty-six. If I can do it, no doubt you can too. Check out the MCM website. Lots of great advice over there and lots of friendly people.B-)

• cpa021763 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007

Good luck on the race!!!  I think you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with yourself.  I started running almost two years ago because I had to find a way to lose weight & keep it off due to health issues.  I walked at first because I was too heavy to run.  After I lost 40 pounds, I began to jog a little with my walking.  At first, I could only jog about 50 feet before having to return to walking.  I ran my first 5K after I had lost about 50 pounds.  I let my teenage son, who is a cross country runner, talk me into signing up for a 5K race in October 2006 when I had intended for my "debut" to be at a 5K in December 2006.  Like you, I struggled with finishing the distance in training.  I also felt like I had made a mistake by signing up.  On race day, I was nervous until the gun went off.  Once we got going, the adrenaline & the other runners made running the race a lot easier (still tough though) than my training runs.  When the race was over, I was completely spent, but felt absolutely great!  My biggest surprise was that I actually ran (or at least jogged) the entire thing, which I had NEVER been able to do in training.  Just do your best & remember that you're NOT racing the other runners.  Set a realistic goal for yourself & race against that.  By the way...  I still ocaasionally get beat by elderly men & women & I'm OK with it!!!

• tbloecher Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008

I have never been a runner - first time I pushed myself to run a mile without stopping and I thought I was going to throw up... But when I finsihed I got a sense of motivation that I could do it!  I kept at it and this past weekend I ran an entire 5k for the first time without stopping.  It took me longer than 20 days to get there but with persistence and keeping your goal in mind you WILL get there and look back and realize how far you have come.  Running that first mile now seems like just a warm up - you will get there and you will be so proud of yourself!  Get a calendar out, write a realistic plan out and stick to it! 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...