Skip navigation

940 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2008 5:26 AM by elgreca RSS
bbyhead Rookie 9 posts since
Oct 12, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2008 1:11 PM

How to get back on track

I am training for my first marathon in Oct. I am following the run/walk plan in the book Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. Due to an injury I got behind on my long runs. I am at week 9 of 20 and should be at a 12 mile run this Saturday. However my longest run/walk so far was at week 7 for 8 miles. Can I make up the miles or will I just peak at 18 miles on week 17 instead of 20? Any advice is appreciated.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,393 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 6, 2008 8:33 PM (in response to bbyhead)
    Re: How to get back on track

That's a tough call and could go either way.  You could try to increase by two miles a couple of those weeks but you don't want to get re-injured.  On the other hand, peaking at 18 probably won't hurt you that much.  It might make the last couple miles of the marathon a little harder.

Len

Len

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    2. Sep 2, 2008 3:09 AM (in response to bbyhead)

I  peaked at 18 after surgery- and definitely suffered that last few miles on the marathon. Len is right, I think you should let how your body feels decide. Just remember that it's likely you could hit the wall on mile 19 or 20 if you peak too soon. On the other hand, if you aren't going for time, I think that you will be ok to peak at 18- it's not too much of a difference. ?:|

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    3. Sep 10, 2008 9:53 AM (in response to bbyhead)

This is your first marathon. I would say that you are OK, but I would work hard to train upto doing somewhere around 20 miles or better before the marathon. Do not add miles too fast each week, you will need a good base to expand upward to 20 and then to 26 on race day.  And you can not do that if you go out and work too hard in the training months and destroy your body trying to get up to high of mileage. 

But the bottom line is that is race is your first marathon and that is a special race. Do not wear a watch and just plan on finishing.  A marathon is a soul searching event and teaches you about yourself.  Go out and have fun. start slow and taper off as we say. 

Spencer.

• elgreca Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    4. Sep 23, 2008 5:26 AM (in response to bbyhead)

when i ran my first marathon my longest runs were 18 miles to reduce the chances of injury. i would do at least two of these. they are to train your mind that you can do it. i used the non-runners marathon trainer and it was the best it made it all doable. good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points