Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2023 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2008 8:06 AM by figbash
rls00e Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 1, 2008 8:27 PM

right hand tingles and clinches

Hey, I'm hoping this is a common symptom for runners, and that you can help me. I am training for my first marathon...actually, the marathon is in April, so I'm just doing about a 20 to 30 mile a week base for now. Lately, around four miles into a run, my right hand tingles and clinches. When I'm done running, the fingers twitch involuntarily like crazy for a while. I take gatorade with me, and drink it as I go. Is it dehydration, or is it something else? Thanks.

Landon

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    1. Sep 2, 2008 3:16 AM (in response to rls00e)
    Re: right hand tingles and clinches

It may be that your hand is suffering from a pinched nerve or shoulder injury. I have bursitis in my right shoulder, and when I don't practice good running form, it catches up with me in my hand. The tingling is relieved by shoulder stretches before and after running, and by awareness of arm and hand position while running. I'd have a dr check you out to be sure its nothing serious. My doc said the feeling was due to nerves being pinched because of the bursitis inflammation. My only solution has been to ice my shoulder and stretch it out daily. Good luck !

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • figbash Amateur 600 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 14, 2008 8:06 AM (in response to rls00e)
    Re: right hand tingles and clinches

Try holding your arms lower when you run, more down by your waist. Holding them high can cut circulation and cause the "tingling" you describe. It also helps to shake them out off and on during the run.

Tom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...