Skip navigation

10760 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2008 3:28 PM by mbottos RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 8, 2008 7:51 AM

Situation

Lately my shins have been hurting during the first couple of miles of my runs.  I don't stop, it ****** me off that they hurt, so I just run through the pain and they eventually stop hurting after 2-3 miles, they're not sored afterwards or anything.  Why do you guys think this is?  Should I try those exercises Jerry(I think) once posted for shin splints? 

Also, I have been experiencing side stitches  also at the beginning of my runs, and again, I run through the discomfort but it's still annoying.  I used to be able to get rid of them by sticking my fingers under my rib cage for a couple of seconds but it doesn't look like it has worked lately.

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    1. Sep 8, 2008 8:06 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)
    Re: Situation

Are you pushing yourself harder then you normally do?

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Sep 8, 2008 8:09 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Sorry to hear it Jesus, I wish I had a clue.  I'm sure that the gurus will come up with some kind of explanation.  Good luck.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 8, 2008 8:11 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

YES those are shin splints.

YES do the exercises. And stretches. And everything.

YES ice them afterwards.

YES you should consider taking a couple of days off this week, to let them rest.

YES you will end up broken like me if you don't pay attention to them.

Also consider: are your shoes old? Are they new, and different? (you know better than to do that this close to a race, though.) Are you suddenly doing hills or speed that you didn't used to?

Hey. Zeus. Be careful, ok darlin?

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Sep 8, 2008 8:16 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Yes.  Absolutely.  Try the shin exercises.  They have worked for me.  I had almost the same symptoms - would start hurting about mile 1 and go away about mile 3.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161.htm

What has always helped me with side stitches is belly breathing.  Make sure you are using your diaphragm when breathing, not just breathing from your chest.  You should feel your belly going out and in.

And I have to agree with Holly.  Most of this stuff happens when your going faster than you used to.  My shin would only bother me in a race or a fast paced training run.

Len

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Sep 8, 2008 8:21 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    lenzlaw wrote:

Yes.  Absolutely.  Try the shin exercises.  They have worked for me.  I had almost the same symptoms - would start hurting about mile 1 and go away about mile 3.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161.htm

What has always helped me with side stitches is belly breathing.  Make sure you are using your diaphragm when breathing, not just breathing from your chest.  You should feel your belly going out and in.

And I have to agree with Holly.  Most of this stuff happens when your going faster than you used to.  My shin would only bother me in a race or a fast paced training run.

It's gonna sound really, really funny, but try to breathe from as low down in your abdomen as possible. Like, the parts you don't usually think about when you run. Ahem. Staving knows what I mean, hers is colorful and keeps growing.

Yes I am serious. Focus your breath all the way down from your belly to your groin. It's weird, but it works.

AND FOR THE SAKE OF THAT GUY YOU'RE NAMED AFTER DO NOT BREAK ANYTHING!!!!

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    6. Sep 8, 2008 8:39 AM (in response to thefirecat)

Jesus,

Go buy some of those pixie cup things.  Think kindergarten drinking cups.  Poor them full of water then freeze them.  Cut the bottom out of the cup and massage/ice the affected area thoroughly after each run and at least once a day.  Due this in conunction with the stretches Len gave you.  Works wonders.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    7. Sep 8, 2008 8:42 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)
    cplmtz0121 wrote:

... Also, I have been experiencing side stitches also at the beginning of

my runs, and again, I run through the discomfort but it's still

annoying. I used to be able to get rid of them by sticking my fingers

under my rib cage for a couple of seconds but it doesn't look like it

has worked lately....

In addition to Belly Breathing, try inhaling off your other foot. For example, if you usually start your inhale on a left footfall, try starting it on a right footfall. Alternating inhales on the other footfall gives a slightly different bounce to your viscera (innards), changing the repetitive stress on the connective tissue.The little change can give a lot of relief. 

wrt Belly Breathing, I have no clue (nor do I think I really want to) what Staving has that is colorful and keeps growing.

Happy Running,

Dec 14, 2007
    8. Sep 8, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Andrew, you're right on the money. It's exactly what you're afraid to think it is. Fortunately, it's theoretical.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    10. Sep 8, 2008 8:57 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

cplmtz0121 wrote:

Thanks again guys, y'all are awesome.

....Yes, yes we are!

This place is like home!!!!

• Redward Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    11. Sep 8, 2008 10:33 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Okay, I'm going to be the contrarian. I don't think those are shin splints because shin splints don't go away after a couple of miles.  I've had shin splints, and I also get the sore shins in the early miles of a marathon similar to what you describe.  Sometimes it gets so bad that I wonder whether I can continue, but invariably around mile 7 I wake up and realize that the pain went away a couple of miles back and I didn't notice it.

Likewise with side stitches, which go away with training.

You can do a bunch of exercises and both may go away, or you can quit worrying about them both, do nothing, and chances are they will still go away.

In real time, though, my remedy for a side stitch is to run a ways with your hand on top of your head.

Ed

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Sep 8, 2008 11:09 AM (in response to Redward)

I have periods of several days where I get the side stitch while running and it lasts for up to 15 minutes. Most of the time I don't get them at all and I haven't been able to figure out any relation to food eaten or when its been eaten or anything. I just seem stitch-prone now and then.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    13. Sep 8, 2008 11:28 AM (in response to Redward)

I have heard the hand-on-top-of-the-head thing works too.  I've never tried it though.  It's been a long time since I had a side stitch.

Len

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    14. Sep 8, 2008 1:14 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

If it's FRONT of the shin pain plus side stitching, consider shortening your stride just a little bit........

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...