Skip navigation

16955 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2011 3:02 AM by sallyrose520 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
kschafer Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2008 8:43 AM

Sports Bra Advice

Help!!!

I need any advice you can give me! I have started to train for a 5k and I need to find a good sports bra. This will be my first time every buying such a thing. My issue is that I am very top heavy 38DDD.

Also, I am scared when summer comes along. I been hiding in my sweatshirt!!

Please Advise. THANK YOU!!!

• daisyme Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2008
    1. Mar 28, 2008 3:37 PM (in response to kschafer)
    Re: Sports Bra Advice

I have the same trouble. I am a 34 G or 36 DDD. I just bought my first sports bra today at Dillards. It is a Lunaire Coolmax Sports Bra Active 36 DDD. It has good support, I jumped up and down in the dressing room to make sure. I am starting the C25K (couch 2 5k) next week. I have wanted to be able to jog for a long time but never could find a bra to hold'm in.

It's so nice to be able to chat with someone with the same problem. I don't find that very often.

Misti

• Kitty Nelson Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    2. Mar 29, 2008 4:37 PM (in response to kschafer)

I have the same problem.  38 DD.  I have found that Champion makes a good sports bra and a trainer told me that some girls where two for extra support.  Trial and error. Keep trying different things.

• akwa_girl Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 31, 2008
    3. Mar 31, 2008 4:58 PM (in response to kschafer)

I definitely feel for you!  Until I had breast reduction mammaplasty last year, I was a 38F (and 5'7")  Not fun!  The best advice for sports bras that I can give is to go with the champion line for larger sizes, then top it off with a standard pull over sports bra- that should do the trick.  Last July I ran the San Francisco marathon that way and it worked great.  As for swimwear, Macy's will have exactly what you need if you are looking for a swimsuit- they have all sizes!  Good Luck!

akwa_girl:p

• headed2bootcamp Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 6, 2008
    4. Apr 6, 2008 10:25 AM (in response to kschafer)

I can understand completely! IAlthough I'm not as big as you, at a 40DD it causes me problems and not to mention embarrassment. I

swear by Enell and CW-X. You can order them online from their websites or you can find retailers. I think Enell is the best because

it doesn't have alot of elastic in it to prevent boucing and it actually holds you in. THe CW-X is nice because it has the sweat-wicking

fabric although it does have little more elastic. The look like vests and they're expensive (around $55-65 each) but they're worth. I won't

wear anything else! I believe Enell foes up to 40F but the CW-X only does up to 40DDD I think.

• headed2bootcamp Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 6, 2008
    5. Apr 6, 2008 10:30 AM (in response to daisyme)

How are you doing with the C25K? Were you a total couch potato or did you exercise regulary before you started the program?

And you're right, it's nice to find others that understand that large breasts can bring discomfort and exercise problems. Not only

is it extra fat, (mine add about 12 extra lbs. according to my doctor) and it makes exercising harder.

• MRidder Rookie 29 posts since
    Mar 30, 2008
    6. May 3, 2008 2:41 PM (in response to headed2bootcamp)

I just found this thread as I'm finishing my C25K program.  I am a 36DD or larger depending on the bra and my current weight.  I found a sport bra at Dillards that I think does a fair job but I may need to wear a pull on sport bra over it.  That can be hot in the summertime but since I am experiencing some breast pain, I think I'll try it.  I'll also look into some of those other bras mentioned.  Thanks for the info, ladies!

Michele

• CeciliaLark Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2008
    7. Jun 1, 2008 8:24 PM (in response to kschafer)

sigh I feel you're pain.  I walk into a sports store and always realize that they do not carry my size. And when I ask for help, they look at me like I'm insane.  In highschool, one sales associate told me that she only carried "normal sized bras".  That was when I started searching.

I offer two great resources (and links!):

is a little outdated, but will always be my favorite for her sense of humor and for being my first find of empathy. She has some old links, but some good.  It's hit-or-miss.

Bigger Brashas the best grid anywhere. http://www.biggerbras.com/guides-to-lingerie-bras-and-gift-ideas-for-her.shtml is the home to a great chart.  Also, there's another chart somewhere on this with website that has sizing for almost any brand (US & European!), even for those with 32K or 48B--it's a big specktrum and a lifesaver if you get nervous about where to order from, what to look for etc.

A lot of gals keep telling me I need the Enell sports bra, but I'm still too narrow chested w/big bust.  But runners do swear by these.  http://www.enell.com/order.html

If you're willing to shell out for shipping, http://www.bravissimo.com/ has great customer service and a pretty selection.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of www.herroom.com and www.figleaves.com.

And my all-time favorite for when my busom isn't too busting out (reviews, customer service, blatant honesty!) is still Title 9 Sports.  I like Moving Comfort bras (Maia is fabulous even in 100 degree heat!) and Lunaire (encapsulated! No Uni-boob!).  I'm getting ready to buy a new one myself and am thinking about either a Shock Absorber or Panache.

Good luck and keep us up to date on the search, where to find good stuff, and comfort!

Cecilia

• Kitty Nelson Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    8. Jun 2, 2008 4:15 PM (in response to kschafer)

I am a 38 DD and have tried some of Champion bras and others that are OK. the most recent one I like is viewable at www.cw-x.com.  They have several styles for busty women.  I leanred about them thru an expo at Walt Disney world's marathon last Jan 08.  the bra costs about 55 dollars but is well worth it.  Supportive and light for summers heat.  hope you find the site helpful.  paragon sports was the vendor I think.  Good luck, Kitty

• Sara_97123 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    10. Jul 16, 2008 4:38 PM (in response to kschafer)

Hey ladies,

Another source for full figure sport bras up to size 42DD is Lucy Activewear. I don't believe they carry sport bras in their stores but they do have about a dozen full figure styles online at Lucy.com. I recommend the style by Enell...good support and comfortable.

• cmitch054 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    11. Sep 8, 2008 3:37 AM (in response to kschafer)

I was so excited to see this post.  I as well am overly endowed in the chest region lol.  I had such a hard time finding sports bras in normal stores, this was wonderful to see all of the suggestions on where to find the best "over the shoulder boulder holders" (that's what my grandma calls bras lol)  I found the podcast on itunes for the "couch to 5K" yesterday and started this morning, and I feel great, and boosted my self esteem that I can do it.  I'm excited to see there are others doing the same program.

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    12. Sep 8, 2008 6:01 PM (in response to cmitch054)

roadrunnersports. com has an excellent bra finder. I am a 36 DD and found the Moving Comfort FIONA bra. It has adjustable back and straps held by Velcro that adjust up and down. The whole thing is extremely comfortable and breathable. It is also the first bra that I have found that supports my chest completely without excess "wobble" and bounce.  Highly recommend.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • Sara_97123 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    13. Sep 9, 2008 9:46 AM (in response to kschafer)

An update to my earlier post...

Right now through the end of October sport bras at Lucy.com are Buy One, Get the Second 50% off!

They have a great selection from brands such as Champion, Donna Karan and Moving Comfort.

Here's the link: http://www.lucy.com/jump.jsp?itemID=270&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C236%2C270

Hope you find a sport bra that works for you!

• Lavasca Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 28, 2008
    14. Sep 22, 2008 10:39 PM (in response to kschafer)

When you're in a pinch an Ace bandage over what you have on hand works.

Enell goes up to a K but  after about 7 mles my shoulders hurt.

The Ace bandage prevents that.  I'm still searching for the proper bra for my situation.

Until then, I'm binding with a bandage.

2007 Nike Half Marathon Bib # 19579

2008 Nike Half Marathon Bib #9443  

42 minute improvement --- I RULE!!! 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...