Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

150933 Views 602 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:53 AM by DD1509 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41 Previous Next
  • sister098 Rookie 8 posts since
    Sep 4, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    360. Jul 11, 2008 10:04 PM (in response to PT1961)
    Re: Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!

Thanks PT1961 for your reply.  What type of diagnositics did you have after the first surgery?  Who do you recommend as an ortho for these procedures?

I too have congenital (moderate) hip dysplasia which was discovered on the intial xray last year.  Before the surgery, this all looked like a typical arthoscopic repair.  Now, the pubic bone hurts (spurs) that are very painful which is new and through the groin with the usual locking, clicking and sudden stabbing pain.  I see an ortho next week for a consult, but am afraid that the best ortho is in Vail.  I live in Northern Wyoming where no one nearby does this type of surgery.  The ortho in Denver who did mine last time had done about 20 before.  This is a hassle, expensive and difficult as a 51 year old mother.  I think there is damage from losing the labrum.  A hip replacement seems too extreme, but I will wait and see what's next.  I hate to go through all the scans, etc.  

Best to you on your hip procedures. Thanks for any further info you can provide.

• Julia Child Rookie 12 posts since
    Sep 1, 2007
    361. Jul 12, 2008 10:16 AM (in response to sister098)

Anyone who has dysplasia, here is what I have learned.  The hip scope to correct FAI and labral tear is logical step in the process to pain relief, but it does NOT correct for your dysplasia and therefore your root cause remains.  Dysplasia causes instabiity in the hip joint. I am of the mind that the body compensates for this condition by laying down bony mass at the femoral head-neck junction, which causes the FAI.  The FAI eventually rips the labrum. You end up with pain. My hip scope, done by one of the best in the country (not in VAIL) was very successful in relieving my pain. But my surgeon strongly urged me to not stop here, but rather look into correcting the dysplasia itself through a peri-acetabular osteotomy (open procedure). By correcting the dysplasia when there is still some healthy joint cartilage, the hope is that you will decrease the wear-and-tear and preserve the natural joint. They are still researching the long-term outcomes, but studies done thus far show that the PAO does postpone, or eliminate, the hip replacement in such patients. If you thought it was hard to find a doctor who is experienced in the hip scope, it is even harder to find a surgeon experienced in the PAO. The "father" of the procedure is Dr. Ganz in Switzerland. Here in the U.S. the two key figures are Dr. Kim and Dr. Millis at Boston Childrens Hospital. It is pretty cutting-edge stuff, and you have to talk to them about whether or not you would make a good candidate. My advice to you is to look at all the problems together (labrum, FAI, dysplasia) and not just focus on a hip scope to address part of it.  In hindsight, I probably should have skipped the scope and gone straight to the PAO to correct it all at once. This field is so nascent that you learn these things in circuitous ways.

• pandatx Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    362. Jul 13, 2008 2:40 AM (in response to coloradolora)

I am brand new here.  I injured my hip about 4 years ago doing Yoga.  It has been painful and limiting ever since.  Went to 2 previous orthopedic guys who never found anything and told me I'd just have to live with it.  One sent me to PT for a month but that didn't help.  Went to a new doctor in the past couple of weeks and he sent me for an MRI with the dye and they found a labral tear (which he suspected) and also some sort of separation in the chondral labral areadr says he thinks this is just another way of explaining the tearbut if it is worse than that, he would have to drill holes in the bone for the marrow to come up and rebuild the separated cartilidge?.  He scheduled me for surgery to repair the tear (in about a month) and also gave me a referral for some PT.

I keep reading how new this procedure is and how few doctors perform it.  I'm in Texas (Dallas area).  My doctor has said that he is one of the few who perform this surgery here.  Does anyone have an Dr recommendations for the Dallas Texas area for second opinions, etc?

• Swim56 Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008
    363. Sep 9, 2008 11:07 AM (in response to marathon15)

Did you see any other surgeons in Boston/ Newton?

• blkaykay8 Rookie 13 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    364. Sep 10, 2008 3:36 AM (in response to Swim56)

Lauren,

Have you looked into going to to Worecestor, MA?  That is where I had my surgery since I am from Western MA.  Dr. Busconi did my surgery last year and I am dong great.  He is a great surgeon and has a great staff.

• Jon44 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 9, 2006
    365. Sep 10, 2008 7:33 AM (in response to Swim56)

Luaren:

I did--had surgery with Dr. McCarthy at Newton Wellesly last year, and was very happy.

Dr. McCarthy has a reputation as not being very patient friendly, but I didn't find this to be the case.  He's a bit emotionally aloof, but was much better about answering detailed/sophisticated questions than other surgeons I tried (e.g., guy at Hospital for Special Surgery).   And his office has been helpful in managing my condition post surgery...

Best,

Jon

• marathon15 Rookie 36 posts since
    Jun 8, 2007
    366. Sep 10, 2008 7:23 PM (in response to Swim56)

Hi Lauren

It's been a long time since I was on this thread. Dr. Asnis of MGH was my surgeon for my torn labrum. I have heard of Dr. McCarthy as well but the wait for him was rather long....I have since had hip resurfacing surgery and that was done at Newton Wellesley Hospital by Dr. Dan Snyder. When I had the surgery for the torn labrum(Sept of 2007), they discovered that it was so shredded that they couldn't repair it and they found a lot of arthritis when they went in...I met with Dr. Snyder this past April and he did a standing x-ray on me(no doctor had ever done that?!). The standing x-ray showed that I had no cartilage remaining in my L hip. My R hip was perfect but  my L hip was not. He told me that the damage was not indicative of a wear and tear injury. He felt that the damage was from a fall or an injury that I had sustained at some point in my life. He operated on me on May 27th. I am still recovering but he expects a full recovery and an eventual return to all activities including running....Request a standing x-ray from your doctor. I wish I had. Maybe if I had had a standing x-ray, they would have realized that surgery for a torn labrum was a waste of time since there was much more damage than that. Good luck. Sue

• Swim56 Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008
    367. Sep 11, 2008 6:18 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Thank you everyone for all the information.  Have you heard of Alfred Hanmer at Newton Wellesley?

Dec 9, 2006
    368. Sep 11, 2008 6:22 AM (in response to marathon15)

As I've been following the same route (arthroscopy revealed situation as so bad, I"m going to have to do resurfacing), just wanted to share some additional info.

I was steered toward a surgeon who does resurfacing at Hospital for Special Surgery (NYC).  They have 'special' MRI protocols  (you spend a lot more time in the machine, they use special algorithms) that can also serve to give good diagnostics of the soft tissue.  Though in my case, I had a specific, small lesion in the cartilidge, and it's not clear that anything but direct visualization through athroscopy would have given a good diagnosis.  And to support the idea of surgery, hip arthroscopy isn't really that hard to recover from (at least the way McCarthy did it)--I was able to xc ski as much as I wanted about 6 weeks after surgery.

Jon

• pandatx Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    369. Sep 11, 2008 6:23 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Hi All,Had my surgery on August 28th and is now 2 weeks post-surgery.  I am pretty much off crutches and all pain meds.  Started PT last week but they have me doing very minimal stuff.  Hoping to be able to do more next week and maybe start pushing myself a little bit.

While in the surgery, he found 2 large tears (we originally thought there was one) and both were very shredded.  He trimmed them but did not do any hole drilling in the bone.  I'm very anxious to know if the issue has been really fixed and also how long to expect this on and off pain in my hip, thigh, and hamstring.

Dec 9, 2006
    370. Sep 11, 2008 6:29 AM (in response to Swim56)

"Thank you everyone for all the information. Have you heard of Alfred Hanmer at Newton Wellesley?"

I think I heard of him, but not in the context of hips (I thought he was a knee guy).

Another local guy that I got referred to was Dr. Van Flandern (sp?) at the Baptist, who trained under Dr. McCarthy.

Jon

• KSeid Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008

Glad to hear you are rcovering nicely!

Wondering if you think there is any similarity to what you have experienced and what my son is experiencing ? Son is 21, hasn't been able to sit down for 2 yrs. MRI from 6/07 showed some inflamation of tissue in coccyx area. MRi from 8/08 shows no inflamation of coccyx tissue, but does show a Paralabral Cyst of the left hip. For exercise he swims, runs and bikes. Swimming seems to aggravate the pain in his coccyx area. While in China this past year, he said he developed some abdominal discomfort he thinks from carrying heavy luggage ( a years worth of stuff) long distances, up and down stairs, in and out of subways, train statiions, ...  Can you see any similarities to anything you have experienced? He has seen every kind of doctor at Mayo Scottsdale, and no diagnosis has been given. Last week he was given a cortisone injection in coccyx tissue with numbing drug. It did numb pain for 4 hrs, which is what they said would happen. Takes several weeks to know if cortisone injection has helped--verdict is still out on this. Will be most appreciative for your reply

Most Sincerely.

KSeid

• Steph19 Rookie 8 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008

Please help....  I just had arthroscopic surgery done to fix a labral tear in my hip, which had caused me extreme pain for over a year.  The doc also had to shave my bone.  I had this surgery 6 days ago - but here's what worries me....  I have just as much paid as I did before - it may actually be worse.  I have done everything I was told to do.......hip brace and crutches when walking....CPM machine daily.......boots and night......   I wondering when the pain gets better, or should I worry that I may have done something wrong....  

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.  I am a mom with 3 kids and have been living with this for so long I would just like to know when the pain will end.

Steph

• mtnmuse Rookie 13 posts since
    Jul 11, 2007
    373. Sep 14, 2008 5:56 PM (in response to Steph19)

Steph,

So sorry you are still having so much pain.  I would think at 6 days, you would still have access to pretty good pain meds.  You shouldn't be having to suffer too much.  Is it the same kind of pain you had pre-op (down in the joint), or is it surgical pain (more near the incision sites)?  Everyone is different, but I was not in too much pain at that one week point if being careful how I moved and such (no external rotation, very little weight -bearing).  I really only had much pain when doing the physical therapy and that was carefully controlled to be well within my tolerance. From the day of surgery on, I never had pain to speak of down in the joint again. I did have surgical pain though on the outside of my hip for a good long while (3-4 months).  I still notice those surgical sites a wee bit when I get to the very end of my range of motion in some directions.  I am almost one year post-op.

What does your doctor say?

-Sue

• Steph19 Rookie 8 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    374. Sep 14, 2008 6:32 PM (in response to mtnmuse)

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for responding.  The doc only gave me pain meds for the first few days.  He gave me that prescription before the surgery.  Originally, the doc didn't think he would have to shave the bone.  The surgery was supposed to take and hour and half, but ended up taking 3 hours.  There was more damage than he thought. 

Did you have the bone shaved too?

The pain is kinda the same pain.  I have some pain in the front of my hip...but what hurts the most is right on the side of my hip. Even just barely touches it hurts.

Haven't talked to the doc.  He is 200 miles away (I live in a small town, so none of the docs here could do this).  I am not set to go back up to see him until the 22nd.

Thanks again,

Steph

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...