Skip navigation

10714 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2008 3:28 PM by mbottos RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Sep 9, 2008 7:50 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)
    Re: Situation

Jesus,

I'm late to the party on this one, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

I tend to agree with the school of thought that you might just want to slow down a bit.  As for the side stitch, I used to get them all the time.  After I started to get up super early and not go for a run with a belly full of liquid, mine seemed to stop.  I don't know if that makes any physiological sense but that's what seemed to be the culprit for me.  And if you have a stitch on the right side, putting your right arm up over your head works.  It did for me.

As for shin splints, Sara and I can both tell you they're tricky to diagnose.  My never ending battle with shin splints turned out to be Chronic Compartment Syndrome.  I even went to see the famous Dr. Pribut, and he said that he believed there was no way I had CCS.  Not only did I have it, but my pressure readings were off the chart.  I was told if it was CCS, it wouldn't be less painful while you continued to run - not true for me.  I was told if it was CCS, it wouldn't bother me while biking - not true for me.  Biking was almost as excruciating as running.  The main thing I took away from my first visit with the Ortho Surgeon was he pointed at three different spots on the INSIDE of my lower leg.  He asked if any of those spots hurt, and I said no.  He said, "then there's no way you have shin splints - let's figure this out."

L

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Nita - I am worried about you.  Do you think you need a second opinion?

I will run for cupcakes!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... wrote:

Jesus,

I'm late to the party on this one, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

I tend to agree with the school of thought that you might just want to slow down a bit. As for the side stitch, I used to get them all the time. After I started to get up super early and not go for a run with a belly full of liquid, mine seemed to stop. I don't know if that makes any physiological sense but that's what seemed to be the culprit for me. And if you have a stitch on the right side, putting your right arm up over your head works. It did for me.

As for shin splints, Sara and I can both tell you they're tricky to diagnose. My never ending battle with shin splints turned out to be Chronic Compartment Syndrome. I even went to see the famous Dr. Pribut, and he said that he believed there was no way I had CCS. Not only did I have it, but my pressure readings were off the chart. I was told if it was CCS, it wouldn't be less painful while you continued to run - not true for me. I was told if it was CCS, it wouldn't bother me while biking - not true for me. Biking was almost as excruciating as running. The main thing I took away from my first visit with the Ortho Surgeon was he pointed at three different spots on the INSIDE of my lower leg. He asked if any of those spots hurt, and I said no. He said, "then there's no way you have shin splints - let's figure this out."

L

Well, there's some common assumptions about compartment syndrome shot - things I have read numerous times.  And even the experts don't seem to know for sure.

Len

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    34. Sep 9, 2008 5:25 PM (in response to Redward)
    Redward wrote:

(me) You can do a bunch of exercises and both may go away, or you can quit worrying about them both, do nothing, and chances are they will still go away.

(response) "Yeah, I ignored mine. And they became stress fractures. Yay bone trauma. I knew I had to do something about mine when it hurt so bad I yarfed afterwards. Fun times at the gym that day. I have heard of other people running through them, though, and having them go away."

I just learned by reading the runners medical guide that apparently "shin splints" is used to describe several types of injury, including stress fractures.  I had only heard it as inflammation of the tissue surrounding the bone.

My shin splints were inflammation, a typical sprinter's injury in high school, which got so bad during speed workouts that I couldn't continue. The shin pain I have during marathons is fleeting, and goes away as I warm up, though it feels vaguely like a mild form of what I consider shin splints.

However, if you have an overuse injury or a stress fracture it won't go away by ignoring it.

Ed

Yeah, it's amazing how wide a variety of stuff "shin splints" covers, isn't it? I've had doctors tell me shin splints ARE tiny fractures (this was a GP though), that they're muscular, that they lead to stress fx, that they don't, etc etc etc.....I think they often use it when your shins hurt and they don't know why.

Fleeting is good. Glad they're mostly not bothersome these days. And sadly, cookies don't cure stress fractures either. I tried.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• mbottos Amateur 37 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    36. Sep 10, 2008 3:28 PM (in response to Redward)

"...You can do a bunch of

exercises and both may go away, or you can quit worrying about them

both, do nothing, and chances are they will still go away...."

I'd have to agree, for me, my shin splints happened because because my shins were weaker than my calfs.;  Once they strengthened, i haven't experienced that problem that was 2 years ago

ps  I always replace shoes after 500 miles or so.   If i don't, something always hurts, usually it's knees

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...