Skip navigation

6682 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2008 9:09 AM by thefirecat RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 11, 2008 9:35 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)
    Re: So where were you on 9/11/2001?

I was at work that faithful day, also at that time I was also a Paid on Call Fire Fighter for the Township that I still live in today. When my Boss came in and asked if I had heard anything about what had just happen in New York City. Still working and trying to know what was going on, everychance I got I ran to the computer to see what had happened. I rememeber going outside in the parking lot and thinking how very quiet and erie it was as the day went on, then i could here every now and then the faint sounds of the F-16s flying very high from Selfridge Airforce Base.

The other thing that sticks in my mind is the following weekend all the Fire Departments in my county had a boot drive for the families of the Fire Fighters. In three days our Department took in 66,000 dollars from are area and all County Departments took in a total of 250,000 dollars. I can't even begin to tell you how hubbleing that time was, the true kindness and generosity of the people of this Great Nation shined through and Im so thankfull I was able to be part of it.

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    16. Sep 11, 2008 9:43 AM (in response to silvereagle)

I give to the boot every chance I get.  your story gives me 250,000 more reasons to appreciate doing what it is I do.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Sep 11, 2008 9:49 AM (in response to thefirecat)

thefirecat wrote:

Of all the ironic things, I was between jobs (the phone woke me up) and volunteering for the Red Cross. This photo was taken at at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, which was the original staging site for one of the four kitchens, where Southern Baptist Disaster Relief crews made thousands of meals for rescue personnel. Red Cross trucks staged here to load the meals for delivery.

Most of the rest of the photos (from the actual site) are in storage. And will stay that way for a really, really long time.

www.tunneltotowersrun.org

Wow Sara! Attaching an impromptu prosthesis with duck tape! You never cease to impress me!

I was in a taekwondo class.  The grand master apparently heard what happened on his office radio, but waited until class was over to tell anyone. 

Chocolate is very nice.
  • thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

thefirecat wrote:

Of all the ironic things, I was between jobs (the phone woke me up) and volunteering for the Red Cross. This photo was taken at at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, which was the original staging site for one of the four kitchens, where Southern Baptist Disaster Relief crews made thousands of meals for rescue personnel. Red Cross trucks staged here to load the meals for delivery.

Most of the rest of the photos (from the actual site) are in storage. And will stay that way for a really, really long time.

www.tunneltotowersrun.org

staving off decrepitude wrote:

Wow Sara! Attaching an impromptu prosthesis with duck tape! You never cease to impress me!

I was in a taekwondo class. The grand master apparently heard what happened on his office radio, but waited until class was over to tell anyone.

This is what happens when a tank parks on the water supply for the entire Red Cross kitchen. You improvise.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    19. Sep 11, 2008 12:00 PM (in response to MCM Ron)

I was actually aboard the Marine base in 29 Palms. We were getting ready to go out on a PT run and we turned on the TV to get the weather forecast. Me and my roommate were watching when the second plane hit and then we had to go out for our run. When we got back, everything had changed. Marines wives were all queuing up to get on base, they had the tanks out, and we were in high threat alert. The mood I remember was such disbelief, and then anger, that someone had dared attack us. When I finally deployed overseas six months later, this day, and our fallen at the Pentagon, were the only reasons that were on my mind.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • jersey-will Pro 87 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    20. Sep 11, 2008 2:19 PM (in response to Back in the Saddle)

I just got off midnights and was in a WAWA getting coffee. Some lady told me that a plane just hit the towers. Went back home and saw it on TV. Returned to work and we set up an incident command center down at the ferry dock. Took the next ferry into Manhattan to Pier 11. We got their about 11:00am. We evacuated several hundred people that morning from lower Manhattan. The next day we went to ground zero. If you didn't see it in person with your own eyes you wouldn't believe it. Total destruction. You couldn't  comprehend the magnitude of the destruction watching it on TV. One sad thing I'll always remember were the commuters leaving their cars in the commuter parking lot and taking the ferry into Manhattan. After about a week there were several cars still there in the lot.Then it dawned on me that these people were never coming back to get their cars. Sad, very sad. I still get emotional.

• Kbear74 Legend 416 posts since
    Dec 4, 2007
    21. Sep 11, 2008 4:58 PM (in response to MCM Ron)

I was in Germany where I lived and worked at the time.  It was 3-330 in the afternoon when we heard and it was thru the German radio.  I was sitting with a German and she said, " a plane .... flew into....... the world trade center???" so I went back to my computer where I read about what was going on.  By 5 pm that evening every base in Germany was LOCKED down.  I managed to get my son (Jman who was 7 months at the time) and my brother and get home.  We watched in disbelief from across an ocean and knew we were going to war.  We watched until we crashed out and got up to watch again in the morning. 

I was and still am very impressed at how well a well trained military can respond, and quite frankly how well military families deal with it.  Gates were locked, and single point entries were set up, airmen and soldiers put on 12 hour days that turned into 16..... and never a peep or complaint.  People made meals and took them to the guards and did amazing things. 

Proud mom and Athena runner. Kara (and Jman)
  • RunningPT12 Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    22. Sep 11, 2008 5:38 PM (in response to silvereagle)

Lets see... I was at work ( back in Bradenton, FL at the time), treating patients. I had just gone to retrieve my 9:30 patient, who was the first to tell me about it. No televisions in that PT practice, so no information regularly except what patients were feeding us throughout the day.

We were in the process of moving our practice from one office to another that weekend, all in the middle of a tropical storm, with power outages and such. A very long weekend, between all of the 9/11 problems, moving the office and setting up our computer network ( I was also responsible for IT stuff along with being a clinical coordinator and carrying a full caseload). 

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    23. Sep 11, 2008 6:36 PM (in response to RunningPT12)

Out of all the things I read about today and saw on tv and e-mail it was you guys responses that got me the most.  Good good people I tell ya!

|

This place is like home!!!!

Dec 14, 2007
    24. Sep 11, 2008 7:19 PM (in response to jersey-will)
    jersey-will wrote:

I just got off midnights and was in a WAWA getting coffee. Some lady told me that a plane just hit the towers. Went back home and saw it on TV. Returned to work and we set up an incident command center down at the ferry dock. Took the next ferry into Manhattan to Pier 11. We got their about 11:00am. We evacuated several hundred people that morning from lower Manhattan. The next day we went to ground zero. If you didn't see it in person with your own eyes you wouldn't believe it. Total destruction. You couldn't  comprehend the magnitude of the destruction watching it on TV. One sad thing I'll always remember were the commuters leaving their cars in the commuter parking lot and taking the ferry into Manhattan. After about a week there were several cars still there in the lot.Then it dawned on me that these people were never coming back to get their cars. Sad, very sad. I still get emotional.

Hey Will. Thought of you today, buddy, and my other brothers on the pile. You running on the 28th?

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    25. Sep 11, 2008 7:24 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

Right where I am now - at work.  Everything we had was quickly tuned to the news and actual work dropped off to nothing.  We got sent home around noon like so many others.

About 6 weeks later I ran MCM 2001.  An early part of the course had us on a small hill, running down a road (Army-Navy Drive??) that looked directly at the damage to the Pentagon, covered by tarps at that point.  Later we ran past the Pentagon again, much closer.  It was a somber yet very patriotic mood.  I was glad they decided not to cancel.  The race was perfect for the times.  (I haven't seen that many loaded weapons since my days in the Army, and multiple helicopters overhead the whole time.)

My step-dad is involved on the admin side of the Army 10-miler. It was cancelled in 2001 because of security scares, but he has the shirt for the race that was never run.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

Dec 14, 2007
    26. Sep 11, 2008 7:25 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    DCtoPgh wrote:

lenzlaw wrote:

Right where I am now - at work.  Everything we had was quickly tuned to the news and actual work dropped off to nothing.  We got sent home around noon like so many others.

About 6 weeks later I ran MCM 2001.  An early part of the course had us on a small hill, running down a road (Army-Navy Drive??) that looked directly at the damage to the Pentagon, covered by tarps at that point.  Later we ran past the Pentagon again, much closer.  It was a somber yet very patriotic mood.  I was glad they decided not to cancel.  The race was perfect for the times.  (I haven't seen that many loaded weapons since my days in the Army, and multiple helicopters overhead the whole time.)

My step-dad is involved on the admin side of the Army 10-miler. It was cancelled in 2001 because of security scares, but he has the shirt for the race that was never run.

Isn't that the one your mom has, like, six of?

Aug 15, 2007
    27. Sep 11, 2008 7:25 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Jimmy D Jarhead wrote:

|Out of all the things I read about today and saw on tv and e-mail it was you guys responses that got me the most.  Good good people I tell ya!|

|

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ditto. I'm really humbled by all the people on the board who stepped up to help our country in such a time of need. Thank you.

My Blog | i2P

Aug 15, 2007
    28. Sep 11, 2008 7:27 PM (in response to thefirecat)
    thefirecat wrote:
    DCtoPgh wrote:

>Isn't that the one your mom has, like, six of?

No, those are the tech shirts from last year  :_| Damnit, Mom, they're not "silky" they're "wicking" and anyone who can't tell the difference OR run 10 miles shouldn't be wearing one!  

My Blog | i2P

• jersey-will Pro 87 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    29. Sep 11, 2008 7:47 PM (in response to thefirecat)

thefirecat wrote:
    jersey-will wrote:

I just got off midnights and was in a WAWA getting coffee. Some lady told me that a plane just hit the towers. Went back home and saw it on TV. Returned to work and we set up an incident command center down at the ferry dock. Took the next ferry into Manhattan to Pier 11. We got their about 11:00am. We evacuated several hundred people that morning from lower Manhattan. The next day we went to ground zero. If you didn't see it in person with your own eyes you wouldn't believe it. Total destruction. You couldn't comprehend the magnitude of the destruction watching it on TV. One sad thing I'll always remember were the commuters leaving their cars in the commuter parking lot and taking the ferry into Manhattan. After about a week there were several cars still there in the lot.Then it dawned on me that these people were never coming back to get their cars. Sad, very sad. I still get emotional.Hey Will. Thought of you today, buddy, and my other brothers on the pile. You running on the 28th?Hi Sara, won't be running, but I'll be there in spirit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...