Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2159 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2008 4:07 PM by bibarunyan@hotmail.com RSS
gasah1 Amateur 7 posts since
Aug 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2008 11:19 AM

First Long Run - Beginner Training Plan

OK, I'm not new to running but have begun my first organized training plan to prep for a 1/2 marathon in December.  Ultra intense work schedule pretty much eliminated working out for over 2 months so I'm starting at just about square one.  Tomorrow I have my first long run and the schedule says 8 miles.  This seems strange to me since I am 1) doing a beginner program, 2) have only been training for a week and 3) I feel like 8 miles is a goal for a month or more into sustained training.  When they classify the run as "conversation pace" do they mean run / walk the distance but get 8 miles in?

• amandalanphere Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 12, 2008 1:05 PM (in response to gasah1)
    Re: First Long Run - Beginner Training Plan

It sounds like the beginning training plan you picked is assuming you are already up to 4-5 miles at a time.  (Not truly a beginner plan, huh?)  Don't put in the 8 miles if you can't.  It's better to do less mileage now, but to be consistent than it is to hurt yourself at the beginning of your training and not be able to run the race.  Do what you can and don't feel bad now...especially since it's the beginning of your training.  Then work yourself up to the mileage.  Missing a long run early in the training isn't going to kill you.

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    2. Sep 12, 2008 1:32 PM (in response to gasah1)

In a conversation pace, you run slow enough that you carry on a conversation. Keep a consistent pace so that you don't slow down to a walk throughout the run. Try running half of the  mileage on your training plan to see if you are comfortable with it. If you aren't, find a new training plan.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • Running5280 Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 13, 2008
    3. Sep 13, 2008 5:02 PM (in response to gasah1)

The "beginners" training guide tells you to do 8 miles so that you can get some time on your feet to build some strength. You are definitely going to need that strength when you run your half marathon. If you dont feel that you can run the 8 miles then run for about 60-80 minutes and dont even bother looking at the mileage. Dont bother with speed yet either. Run as slow as you need to to just keep running and try your best not to stop. Do not ignore your long run because it could be important  for strength which is important for injury prevention when you get into speed workouts

• Mr.Vega Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 19, 2008
    4. Sep 13, 2008 8:43 PM (in response to gasah1)

Hi am in the same boat as you but after doing all of  my reading up on it  i believe the long run is to build muscles and put some time on ur body

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,376 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Sep 14, 2008 8:22 AM (in response to gasah1)

I agree with you in thinking 8 is too much this early in your program.  4 or 5 is OK, and if you are training consistently you can increase that by a mile a week. Another good idea is to take "step-back" weeks about every 4 weeks, where you back off your weekly mileage by about 20% to allow for recovery and rebuilding.

Len

Len

• bibarunyan@hotmail.com Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    7. Sep 14, 2008 4:07 PM (in response to gasah1)

I ran my first half-marathon last year afer yearsof never running more than 3 miles. My tough work schedule only allowed me 3 runs per week (plus I play indoor soccer one night per week and sprint quite a bit then so counted those as a speed work-out). I added 10 minutes at a time until my weekday runs were 5-6 miles and I then added one mile per week to my long run that I did on the weekend. I got sick about 8 weeks before the race and only had a couple opportunities at the 13 mile distance before I had a premature taper due to shin splints. I babied the legs the last week and still ran a time at a pace nearly half a minute per mile faster than any practice run. I don't know where you are in your runs but this should show you there are ways to manage even with limited time. Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...