Skip navigation

8711 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2008 5:34 PM by dutch omi RSS 1 2 Previous Next
McPhilly Pro 120 posts since
May 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2008 3:37 PM

In desperate need of help...

I am totally struggling with staying motivated to do the MCM.  The longest run I did (2 weeks ago) was 16 miles and I felt great and like I could go forever.  NOW I'm struggling to get out of bed to do my daily runs and I completely gave up today for my 10 miler (only did 5).  I want to do the marathon but just can't get over this hump. 

My runs start out great and then after mile 2 my mind just gives up and I question myself "why am I doing this?"  It gets so bad that I turn up my music so loud to drown myself out.

anyone have any ideas how to get over this negative hump?

Yippee!  I made over 100 posts :-)
  • David Hopper Legend 286 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    1. Sep 14, 2008 3:56 PM (in response to McPhilly)
    Re: In desperate need of help...

A couple of weeks ago I started to feel like you do now. I lost my running partners because their event is coming up and they are tapering and all of a sudden I was doing all my longest runs alone. Besides using inspiration I find here I do all kinds of things to break my runs up. I have my wife and kids meet me on their bikes at my half way point. It helps to know they are there and waiting for me. Also, when it is as hot as it was this weekend I just tell myself I'm running as far as I can go and forget that I have a set distance. Somehow by telling myself that the distance doesn't matter I still cover the required distance. I've asked myself "why am I doing this" a thousand times. All my friends that have run marathons have said everyone does it and I can believe it. I also joined Team Fisher House and I know they are depending on me. The big thing I focus on now is I've met some good people here and am really looking forward to meet them after the marathon. That is great motivation for me.

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
  • silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Sep 14, 2008 3:59 PM (in response to McPhilly)

Mcphilly

I have felt the way you do enough and i feel your pain/ I wish there was some miracle pill that would allow everyone to stop feeling the way you do, they would be a trillonare, because it would work for anytime in life.

Have you changed your eating habits or what you eat?

Less sleep then normal?

stress at work, school, or home?

The bottom line is, how important is this Marathon to you? 

Take a couple days off and try to figure out the real reason why your lacking the drive to train, maybe this year isnt the year you run the MCM?

on the the other side on me I'd say,

Dude, suck it up!

you payed the money and talked the talk about running the MCM! Now can you walk the walk or just give up.....

Goodluck,

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• stewilli Pro 87 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    3. Sep 14, 2008 4:06 PM (in response to McPhilly)

When I get in a running Funk I like to change things up.  Run in a completely different direction, on new streets.  Also change up what you are listening to.  I switch back an forth between music and books on tape.  I know the books sound boring, but I found if I get a good adventure book I forget how tired I am and how long I have been running.  I just finished "Around the world in 80 Days" by Jules Verne and highly recomend it.  Today I ran into a runner listening to Harry Potter.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    4. Sep 14, 2008 4:06 PM (in response to silvereagle)

My recommendation is to find a 15K to half marathon to do.  This needs to happen soon.  Run the race as opposed to racing the race.  The spirit and mood of a race always help me to get it done.  Some of the othre sources are to simply, as some on this foum will quickly say, is to go to the store and buy a bag of straws and suck it up!  LOL  Not being rude at all we just remind each other of that every once in a while.  But seriously I hope you find your way out of this funk.

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Sep 14, 2008 4:08 PM (in response to McPhilly)

That darn rut!  I hate it too, but the best of us have fallen into it.  It is a natural part of marathoning.  This training is brutal at times.  We have great days and not so great days.  Please stick with it and I promise you, if this is your first MCM, you are in for a real treat.  Race day is like a big party.  It is so much fun!!!  It's what keeps me coming back each year. 

Everyone on this board is so supportive, encouraging and when you need it, will give you a good kick in the butt.  I find it immensely helpful to read how everyone is doing and also logging in my miles.  It's a great way to keep each other accountable. 

YOU can do it, b/c you have what it takes! 

Make sure you are getting plenty of rest, hydration, and food.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

Dec 15, 2007
    6. Sep 14, 2008 4:13 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

|

Ruby_2008 wrote:

That darn rut! I hate it too, but the best of us have fallen into it. It is a natural part of marathoning. This training is brutal at times. We have great days and not so great days. Please stick with it and I promise you, if this is your first MCM, you are in for a real treat. Race day is like a big party. It is so much fun!!! It's what keeps me coming back each year.

Everyone on this board is so supportive, encouraging and when you need it, will give you a good kick in the butt. I find it immensely helpful to read how everyone is doing and also logging in my miles. It's a great way to keep each other accountable.

YOU can do it, b/c you have what it takes!

Make sure you are getting plenty of rest, hydration, and food.

I just jumped back in here to write that if you hang around here you might find some great motovation and Ruby , as well as Deniis posted it already.  Ruby's statement is exactly correct.  Hang in there and soon enough you will be driving down the road that has no ruts.

Jimmy

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,372 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Sep 14, 2008 6:44 PM (in response to McPhilly)

I can understand having doubts about motivation.  I think you need to answer two questions. 1.) Do I want to run this marathon?  2.) Why?  When I ran my first marathon, I had been running races for several years, with solid mid-pack times.  I figured if I was ever going to do a marathon, it was time to take the challenge.  Maybe it would be the first and last, but I took the plunge.  That was my motivation then.  I fell for it hook, line and sinker and I've run one every year since (1993).

The training is hard.  As with any worthwhile goal, you have to work hard to get there, but the result justifies all the hard work.  I guarantee that crossing that finish line will make it all worthwhile.  My biggest training stumbling block is the self-imposed pressure on getting the long runs done.  I put enough pressure on myself that I dread them, but I get out and do them.  What I'm saying is - examine your motivations.  If you know it's what you want to do, for whatever reason, get out and do it.

Len

Len

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Sep 14, 2008 7:10 PM (in response to McPhilly)

Cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

Of course, this is my solution to nearly every problem. For real, though? Maybe you just needed a couple of days off. Sometimes a lack of motivation is just a sign to take it easy for a day. Sometimes turning ten miles into five miles happens. Look at it as five miles run, not five miles lost.

You CAN do it, though. Come hang out with us on the board for a week. If you can put up with our craziness, I bet we'll motivate you in the process. :-p Either that or you'll run the marathon just trying to get away from us. LOL

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    9. Sep 15, 2008 7:15 AM (in response to thefirecat)

Why do you still run?

Check out the "Why do you still run thread" for a few motivators!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Sep 15, 2008 7:36 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Make it harder to not run that to run. Plan your route beforehand. Psych yourself up all week for your long run. The day before the long run, put out your water bottles, set out your gels or whatever sustains you, make sure you ipod is charged, make a new playlist. The night before the long run, go to bed early. Sleep in your running clothes!! Have your shoes on the floor side by side with the laces loosened.  All you'll have to do is get out of bed and step into them and you're ready to go.  Think about how you'll feel if you don't run after all that preparation!  Think about how you'll feel when you get out there and do it!  The MCM is coming up pretty soon. Don't lose your motivation now!  You've done so much training already. Put it to work! See you at the marathoN!

Chocolate is very nice.
  • FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007

Reading a book usually gets me pumped up again. Not just one on techniques but one about a runner or by a runner.

I'm usually the opposite. It is getting out the door and the first two miles that are difficult but once I get going I'm going to finish. And, since I often have to pay a sitter to watch my son in the evenings, I've got a financial investment so I have to do those miles!

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,372 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    13. Sep 16, 2008 8:18 AM (in response to McPhilly)

That's what I like to hear!

Len

Dec 15, 2007
    14. Sep 16, 2008 8:29 AM (in response to McPhilly)

McPhilly wrote:

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I put the shoes back on and went for a small run this morning. It felt pretty good and I'm working on the positive thoughts. I'll see you all in Washington!!

Good deal.  Check back if you need another moral booster.   That is one of the reason I log on.  Accountability and hearing others doing whjat I do keeps me on track.

Jimmy

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...