Skip navigation

5645 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2008 8:12 AM by Jay Silvio
scottiesamples Amateur 36 posts since
Jan 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 17, 2008 11:58 AM

Last Meal

I am wondering  what I should eat for dinner the night before the MCM?  After reading on this message board about waking up in the middle of the night to eat pancakes before a long run, I tried it and I am a believer.  It worked.  So if I do that before the MCM, what should I have for dinner.  I am afraid of over load on carbs if that is possible.  Any suggestions?

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 17, 2008 12:07 PM (in response to scottiesamples)
    Re: Last Meal

Eat something simple and don't eat too much (especially if you'll be having a midnight snack of pancakes).  Avoid too much fat and roughage (like salads).  A small portion of lean protein, like chicken or fish, with rice or noodles would be a safe bet.  And don't forget to drink plenty of water.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 17, 2008 12:38 PM (in response to scottiesamples)

Jay's advice pretty much covers it.  You're not likely to over-carbo-load unless you just overeat.  And remember to hydrate.

Len

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Sep 17, 2008 1:18 PM (in response to scottiesamples)

This is why I like long runs and marathons, the carbo loading up the night before.  It's important to get a good balance of carbs and proteins before the marathon.  Don't overeat though.  Something italian with pasta is a good idea.  Don't do spicy.  I had this spicy thai dish for dinner before last year's MCM and my stomach wasn't happy with me. 

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    4. Sep 17, 2008 1:40 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

It really helps to spread your carbo loading over 2-3 days.  The "last meal" is best used to replace however many basal calories you might have burned overnight before a race AND have time to digest before your body diverts blood from your gut to your running muscles, diaphragm, etc.

• MariahAU Legend 227 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    5. Sep 17, 2008 2:16 PM (in response to scottiesamples)

I have never tried the pancake idea... but I try to have a carbish meal every night starting wednesday. Pasta.pasta.pasta.... not a crazy amount, but just a treat of carbs after limiting them to loose weight that last month. We usually have a pasta party at the house with lasagna. yum....

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Sep 17, 2008 5:12 PM (in response to scottiesamples)

I'm a firm believer in carbs the night before and eggs, bacon and toast the day of.  I don't wake up any earlier than I have to, since sleeping is a precious commodity and if I were to wake up to eat pancakes in the middle of the night, I'd never, ever get back to sleep again.  That's a prerogative of youth.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Sep 17, 2008 5:19 PM (in response to dutch omi)

I get up 3+ hours before the start and eat a 600 calorie, high carb breakfast, and drink some sports drink.  Maybe eggs and bacon would work too, but there's nobody around to cook them.

Len

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Sep 17, 2008 5:25 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I guess you'll have to come to the Holiday Inn in Roslyn and I'll make sure you'll get eggs, bacon and toast and coffee and juice, and since I'm not running that'll be easy for me.

• TampaTom Legend 252 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    9. Sep 17, 2008 6:08 PM (in response to Immer treu)

I'm with Immer and carb up 3-4 days before the race with a night before meal of chicken and rice.

I haven't tried the pancakes before a marathon,  I go with the basic banana and granola/power bar.  During the run I know you can always get GU and bananas from the volunteers when I begin to run low on enegry.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Sep 18, 2008 8:12 AM (in response to dutch omi)
    dutch omi wrote:

I'm a firm believer in carbs the night before and eggs, bacon and toast the day of.

It's amazing how different we all can be.  Just the thought of bacon and eggs on the morning before a run has my stomach in a twist.  It's great that it works for you (while I'm stuck with a bagel, a spoonful of peanut butter, and a banana) and I wish I could eat like that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points