Skip navigation

41949 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2010 10:33 PM by dave@sourcedirectpromos.c RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
rubina Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2008 4:18 AM

Does anyone know a weight loss strategy???

Hi, I am 23 years old and have been gaining on pounds and this is getting to me. The thing is that after several efforts of exercise and dieting, I don’t seem to get any slimmer! There are many ways to lose weight, but I have exhausted all the ways I know. I have consulted a few people but all of them have been telling me the same thing. It isn’t helping me and only making my fears worse.

Is there some way to make me feel better!!!

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    1. Jun 2, 2008 5:53 AM (in response to rubina)
    Re: Does anyone know a weight loss strategy???

I sent you a PM but just realized I can attach the file here.

Here are the instructions for anyone else that wants to use my calorie counting spreadsheet.  Email me if you have any questions pam(at)pilotdesigns.com.  I lost 25lbs in 3 months doing this and my friend lost 6.5lbs so far in 2 1/2 weeks!

It

may be chaotic so let me know if you have any questions on how to use

it.  The calculations are done automatically at the bottom.

You can right click on the rows to add new rows/food items and it will still calculate correctly.

Notes:

The first thing you need to do with this spreadsheet is

calculate the number of calories you need for your height and weight.

You can do this by going to http://www.rd.com/12678/article12678.html and enter your information.  Once you do this - if you want to lose weight you can enter a smaller calorie

allotment at the bottom.  If you want to maintain, enter the number of

calories from the site.  A pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories, so

if you have a daily deficit of 500 calories per day you will lose a

pound a week!

Now - keep up with your calories.  MEASURE your foods.  You will

notice that portion sizes for most meats are 3oz - which is probably a

lot smaller than you are used to (at least it was for me).  I got a

scale at Linen N Things for $5.99 and I measure EVERYTHING.  If you

have foods that do not have nutrition information, you can use www.caloriesperhour.com or [calorie-count.com|http://www.calorie-count.com/].

They even have brand names and restaurants on there.  Also -

Caloriesperhour.com is great for calculating calories burned while

exercising.  They have almost EVERY activity you can think of!!

Attachments:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• Astro2008 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    2. Jun 2, 2008 10:52 PM (in response to rubina)

You are not the only one

having problems trying to lose weight, without any success. I know that it is

very frustrating to try all sorts of things and still be in the same shape…..I

too have faced that!!! Just a couple of weeks back I came across

url=http://www.onesteptofitness.comWeight Loss 2008[/url] that

not only made me glad I did (I finally got a product that does the real thing)

but got the work started. It has been a great way for me because it doesn’t

throw up obstacles but gets the job done.

• jspitzberg Active.com Staff 37 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    3. Jun 3, 2008 9:27 AM (in response to pamburrus)
    pamburrus wrote:

The first thing you need to do with this spreadsheet is calculate the number of calories you need for your height and weight.

You'll find some handy calculators in Active.com's Fitness section, including one for your caloric needs.

May 14, 2008
    4. Jun 3, 2008 9:18 AM (in response to jspitzberg)

That's a PERFECT one!! I'm new to active.com - didnt know they had that!! Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• jspitzberg Active.com Staff 37 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    5. Jun 3, 2008 9:33 AM (in response to pamburrus)

Welcome to the community!  We need to do a better job of putting our resources in front of you the user.

And since we're talking calculators and training tools, check out the Training tab on your My Active page.  Lots of good stuff there as well.

May 14, 2008
    6. Jun 3, 2008 10:07 AM (in response to jspitzberg)

I'm using the ActiveTrainer now and LOVE IT.  I'm walking the breast cancer 3 day - so I loaded in my 24 week training schedule and it REALLY helps me stay on track!

I love how it breaks down your exercising and stuff.  I'm a new runner and walker (for the 3 day training) and have pledged to walk 800 miles before the event.  Now I can actually keep up with my milage... AND THE MILAGE ON MY SHOES that feature is AWESOME.

I love tools!

My PR's (post kid haha)

• missmiminyc Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 10, 2008
    7. Jun 10, 2008 6:21 AM (in response to rubina)

3 factors that always make the difference for me:

1) Lose the booze.  For me, when I'm trying to drop 5-10 pounds, even the recommended glass of wine a day is too much.  It's extra calories, and alcohol stimulates the appetite, and can contribute to bloat.  If you're trying to lose weight, you're better off without the drink.  I know . . . not easy as we enter the season of frozen margaritas.

2) Adhere to portion sizes/calorie counts.  I'm not suggesting elaborate outlines, but the more in tune you are with these elements, the quicker you'll lose weight.  I usually shoot for 5 or 6 300 calorie meals a day, and staying within the 300 calorie limit takes knowing both portion sizes & calorie counts pretty closely.  On days when I only manage to eat 3 or 4 meals, I add calories to the last meal or two to make sure I'm getting at least 1200 to 1500 calories for the day.  You don't want to undernourish yourself - if you do, your body will hang onto every calorie like a famine is setting in.  I also find that eating this way always leaves room for a daily treat.

3) Get up.  Very simple, but very effective. Every 45-50 minutes, I get up and walk around, do a chore, play with the dog, etc. for at least 5 minutes - 10 to 15 being the better deal.  If you're in heels at the desk, keep a pair of comfy flats handy.  When I'm at work or school, I hit the stairwell and walk down for as many flights as I have time to make back up.  I've been known to hike my skirt and do a standing series of Pilates front, side, and rear leg sweeps in the private ladies room on the 3rd floor, too.  Don't tell my boss.

Hope these help!

• sixstring819 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    8. Aug 10, 2008 7:25 PM (in response to rubina)

I I know what you mean about what everyoe says.  Diet and excersize.  Slim fast etc.  I deveoped a plan based off the way I lost my weight.  I have lost 120 pounds so far there are two parts to it.  The mindset and the Lifestyle you have to change both

Mentally you have to decide to either do it or stop worrying about it.  What I mean is this you have to say ok I am going to lose the weight and live a healthy lifestyle.  Or you have to say Owell I quess I will live an unhealty life and deal with the consiquences of my decision.  This is important because  if you have not made up the mental part of it and realized the reasons you want to get into shape then you will fail everytime you get the craving to eat something you should not.  If you decide that you want to get into shape because you want to live longer and feel better etc.  Then you will realize that they temporary pleasure of eating the box of oreo's ends with you feeling bad mentally and physically.

Changing the Lifestyle is much different than dieting.  Dieting is a temporary thing that ends with you gaining more weight than you had before.  Changing your lifestyle is forever because you never go back to eating the way you do now.  This does not mean you do not get cookies or any of the good stuff but it does mean those things are limited.  If you go to my profile and look at the calorie calculators I have posted you will find this much easier.  There is a Calculator for Men and Women they are based on you age height and activity level.  This will tell you exactly how many calories you will need to eat as well as what foods you should get htose calories from.  This is not one of htose fad or fly by night diets.  You will follow this for the rest of your life to lose then maintain the weight you want to be at. 

Here are some highlights to follow once you find out your callorie levels and types.

Get rid of the Pop, the stimulants i.e. caffene diet pills etc.  these things cause your sugar levels to go wacco causing the cravings and feeling of hunger and slowing the metabolism.  If you cannot get rid of them limit as much as possible this is not a make or break but it really helps with the new lifestyle and you will find yourself feeling better in the morning and you will have more energy.

Start a daily vitamin regiment.  This will help with the cravings as well.  Fiber drinks all bran has one out that is lemonade or tea that is very good they will help make you feel full.

Eat more!  6 small meals a day.  fruit veggies are important.  eat low fat meats like chicken and fish limit high fat meats like certain beefs to a couple times a week. 

for example

breakfast: 1 egg 1 slice of toast (light whole grain high fiber bread) 1 8oz fiber drink

snack: Apple

Lunch: 3 1/2 oz meat Chicken fish beef etc. 1 veggie (about a cup of veggies) 1 Carb 1/4 cup brown rice or pasta or 1 slice of bread same as above or a small potato.

Snack: Fiber bar (all bran makes a couple of good ones) or fruit

Dinner: same as lunch with a fiber drink

Snack: fruit or veggies

You can get a good suplement called natures way metabolism reset which will make a good snack or meal  1 or 2 times a day.  I prefer them for snack 1 and 3.

This is just an example your personal plan will depend on what your calculator results give you.  If you are not able to use excel let me know I can do the plan for you and give it to you. this is for anyone who needs me to do that for them.  If we have any computer experts out there who know how to make an excel sheet into a form online I will make it so anyone can get it.

This works for real as I said I am down 120 pounds in 8 months and my wife is down 23 pounds in just a little more than a month being on the plan.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

• KarateKix Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    9. Sep 18, 2008 5:10 PM (in response to rubina)

I think the one thing to keep in mind is perseverance and consistency.  If you expect results in a couple of months, your expectations are too high.  To lose weight it takes dedication to continue your new diet and exercise regimen.  Even if your body does not change immediately, you will begin to notice a few months down the road.  In addition, if you're trying to lose weight, but don't weigh less, measure your waist, hips, arms, wrist, and neck.  It's best to do this before your new routine and throughout the training, to keep you motivated.  Muscle ways more than fat, and sometimes you may lose body fat, but gain lean muscle - and still weigh the same.

Javier 

Javier Lozano, Jr.

The Dojo of Karate

303-920-4500

www.thedojoofkarate.com

javier@thedojoofkarate.com
  • garymjm Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Sep 28, 2008 1:46 AM (in response to rubina)

Put less in your mouth and move around more

• Phillip Levri Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2008
    11. Oct 1, 2008 4:16 PM (in response to rubina)

The strategy of diet and exercise is failproof.  You must be consistent,dedicated, and motivated for it to work.  It doesnt happen over night but it will happen and the longer you keep track of results, positive and negative you will begin to see the reasons why you lost or gained weight.  Don't let setbacks stress you out, if you have a bad day of eating or no exercise for whatever reason look to better it tomorrow.  My advice for making the right choices is to track your habits.  Write everything down, keep a food and exercise journal.  It helped me. Hang in there and stay positive.

Phillip Levri Steel Core Fitness Personal Trainer

• cleanse Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    12. Oct 7, 2008 8:52 PM (in response to rubina)

I have found a great nutritional ,cleansing system that has allowed me to release weight and inches in a healthy way.

I lost 12 pounds in a 9 day system and have gone on to loose 18.

I love an active lifestyle and this system has a great maintence opportunity to keep it off.

Check out the website of    www.cleansedforlife.com

Give me a call in order to buy at wholesale. 509-954-8118

In Health

• Sarahhusbands1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Oct 20, 2008 4:44 AM (in response to cleanse)

I have been there.  I spent years counting calories, measuring portion sizes, and exercising 5 to 6 days a week; but where I made my real breakthrough was in the types of foods I choose to eat.  I look for more natural ingredients.  It all started with the South Beach Diet which basically eliminates high fructose corn syrup, high sugar intake, and promotes whole grains; but I took it a bit further and I can't really say that I'm on South Beach anymore.  Basically, I read the ingredients.  If I see enriched flour, partially hydrogentated or fractionated oils, and/or high fructose corn syrup, I IMMEDIATELY put the product back on the shelf.  However, if I see whole grain, cane sugar, and/or other natural ingredients, I don't worry about the calorie or fat content in the food.  My discovery is that the body is naturally designed to productively digest natural food products, but so many products are filled with synthetic and chemical ingredients that our bodies just don't process as well.  I think that the body's inability to process these chemicals as effectively, causes the body to hold on to the toxins which are then stored in the fat cells which keep the love handles attached.

Since changing my eating habits to more natural and whole products, I dropped from a size 6 to a size 2, and this is after having given birth to twins nearly 2 years ago.  I never in my dreams even hoped to be a size 2.  Plus, I still do eat cookies(I just buy the ones that are made out of sugar and butter rather than a list of chemicals) and I go through the drive through for a hamburger about 2 - 4 times a month(usually after one of my harder workouts).  I even spend less time at the gym because I don't have the time to workout like I used to before the twins:)

At first, it may seem time consuming because you have to spend a little more time reading the ingredients at the store and finding the right products to buy, but once you've made about 4 trips to the store, you start to get the hang of it and you learn the basic products that you like to buy and eat.

Please, trust me on this.  I counted calories till my brains fell out.  I agree that there has to be a calorie deficit to lose weight, but if someone ate only one piece of cheesecake per day, there could be a calorie deficit, yet the weight loss probably wouldn't happen.  We have to view our bodies as machines and they are designed to process natural whole products.  It is like expecting a car that normally runs on gasoline to run on compost.  We have to feed our body the food it was designed to process.   If you do this, you will be SHOCKED at the laundry list of chemicals that are in most of the foods you are probably buying right now.  I have found that most of the time I have to forgo the non-fat or low-fat products to eliminate all of the extra chemicals; yet even with the increase of fat, I still experienced the weight loss that I couldn't jump start from the calorie/fat counting. 

Best of luck to you all!

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Oct 20, 2008 6:03 AM (in response to rubina)

It usually takes something simple.

As above, cutting back on/ cutting out booze is huge for two reasons. One they truly are useless calories. Two, there is no greater detroyer of weekend workout plans than a hangover.

Break an honest sweat once a day. My wife liked to workout before we got married, but told me "I really don't sweat very much." We figured out why, as our definition of working out was very different. Once she started really pushing herself, she started to sweat and then she started to see results. Intensity (for me) is key.

Make it convenient. My workout routine typically consists of running, situps and pushups, things I can do  anywhere. If I have running shoes, a t-shirt and shorts, I can work out.

Start off small. Too many people start off doing too much and get hurt or overworked before they have built up to it. You'd be amazes at how 4 sets of pushups, done properly, can work wonders.

Knock off the stupid foods. I am not saying you can't have a burger or eat some chips or cookies. But that 1,400 calorie mocha latte has to go. Ditto the daily muffin the size of your head or pints of HaagenDazs.

I am not rule-oriented (strange for some one in the military). But I know what is good for me and what is not. I know what is a normal portion size and what is not. And I know when I am working hard and when I am folling myself/others. Being honest with yourself is hard, but it is often the first (and only) step you need.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...