Skip navigation

8788 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2008 3:24 PM by Kbear74 1 2 Previous Next
Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
Dec 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2008 6:15 AM

Running Challenge..

This is the opening statement that is on the website that Pearl Izumi has put out there.  Their advertising is in my mind awesome.  My challenge to you all is that you 1) do not get offended at the statement below, 2) you challenge yourself to always be a runner (to me that is make it a lifestyle and not a hobby), and 3) if all you can do is speed walk that you do that because it is far better then a sedentary life.

Happy running

"The one single act that brought us down from the trees and provided the evolutionary leap that made us the dominate species we are today is in jeopardy. Now granted, with such a large number of local fun runs and turkey trots, one wouldn't guess that it is. But true running, the type of running that taps into the primal part of man, is slowly being undermined by a thirty-year-old fad called jogging. And, if things continue as they are, running will all but disappear and we'll be left with the red-headed stepchild of speed walking."

This place is like home!!!!

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Sep 25, 2008 7:00 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Running Challenge..

George Sheehan's line, "the difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank," may have more truth in it ; otherwise jogging may cover anything from an old fashioned boxer's "road work" to a recovery run to a social run with the intent on staying in a group to the recovery stretch between reps.....Sadly it often describes someone's running slower than the speaker does. In the ad's defense, no one jogs away from immediate danger, to catch a child running into traffic, or to win much of anything..........

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Sep 25, 2008 7:32 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Ive considered myself a jogger, because I think people that run are ones that can run in the 6.30 minute mile or faster.

dennis 

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• aeroca Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    4. Sep 25, 2008 7:38 AM (in response to silvereagle)

Interesting debate -- until recently, i've always considered myself a "swimmer" b/c i've swum competitively my whole life.  now that friends have heard i'm running a marathon, i've been labeled a "runner".  i'm certainly proud to hear that, but am not real fast nor have i been running races my whole life so the label feels a little undeserved.

in the end, jogger vs. runner, what does it really matter as long as you're elevating your heart rate and burning those calories, right?

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    6. Sep 25, 2008 7:39 AM (in response to silvereagle)

I'd consider myself a jogger too becaue for me, eventhough it's fun, it's mainly a hobby.  I love the fun runs and Turkey Trots and stuff.  That and plus with my speed, I don't think I could be considered a runner...LOL

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Sep 25, 2008 8:12 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I like the definition of making it (part of) your lifestyle.  Speed per se doesn't play a part in it, to my mind.  Toby finished his 100 miler at about a 14:45 pace.  Are you going to tell him he's not a runner?  Like Jimmy said, joggers might go out today, then not again for a couple weeks.  It's very casual, not a part of their lifestyle.

Len

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    8. Sep 25, 2008 8:34 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

I like the definition of making it (part of) your lifestyle. Speed per se doesn't play a part in it, to my mind. Toby finished his 100 miler at about a 14:45 pace. Are you going to tell him he's not a runner? Like Jimmy said, joggers might go out today, then not again for a couple weeks. It's very casual, not a part of their lifestyle.

Ohhhhh, ok.  Then I guess I am a runner.  I'd be damned if I don't go out there at least a 3-4 times a week when I'm not training.  Now that I think about it, I guess I spend more time training than not training during the year huh?  I guess I am a runner afterall...

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• MariahAU Legend 227 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    9. Sep 25, 2008 9:41 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I used to go for a "jog" when I was first starting out.. maybe do 2 miles twice a week, just for fun. Now I plan my life around running, go out for hours at a time and even if I do the "marathon shuffle" its still a run in my eyes... you can look at someones legs and tell if they are a jogger or runner...

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    11. Sep 25, 2008 10:00 AM (in response to MariahAU)
    MariahAU wrote:

I used to go for a "jog" when I was first starting out.. maybe do 2 miles twice a week, just for fun. Now I plan my life around running, go out for hours at a time and even if I do the "marathon shuffle" its still a run in my eyes... you can look at someones legs and tell if they are a jogger or runner...

People would think there staring at Chickens if they were looking at mine

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Sep 25, 2008 11:19 AM (in response to silvereagle)

Some days I run, and some days I don't know what I'm doing. Today I started out running and ended up shuffling. Blah.  I was moving though! Whether you call it running or jogging doesn't really matter to me. The feeling and benefits are the same whatever name you give it.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Sep 25, 2008 11:27 AM (in response to silvereagle)

WE ARE NOT JOGGERS!

Run like an animal.

I think this is essentially a semantic difference that has been used to support a marketing campaign.  I don't care what you call yourself as long as you put on running shoes and get OUT there.  Whether it's a 16 m/m pace or a 5 m/m pace.  Get out there and call yourself an astronaut for all I care.

To me PI is just saying, "Our stuff justifies the higher price because we support real runners" when, in fact, many people can run in $30 sneakers and be just fine.  Optimal?  Who knows.  When I was in high school I NEVER had new shoes or even good shoes. . . but I was a pretty good runner.

I'm a runner who jogs occasionally.  I walk occasionally too.  Neither makes me less of a runner.

To infinity and beyond. . .

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    14. Sep 25, 2008 2:13 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

WE ARE NOT JOGGERS!

I'm a runner who jogs occasionally. I walk occasionally too. Neither makes me less of a runner.

Amen. I go 5 miles before taking a walking break, but I need to walk to lower my heart rate.

Does that mean that I am not a "runner"? Oh well. All I know is that I can run 7 miles and feel great after finishing, while 5 years ago the thought of going 2 miles was more than I could comprehend. I also know that I want to run on my "rest" days. I look forward to my running days. I am impatient while waiting for the weekend, so that I can go longer distances.

So I am a glorified jogger. So what? The truth of the matter is this - if everybody ran 3x per week, and went 5-7 miles per run, and went to the gym on occasion to cross-train, "plus size" clothing stores would be driven out of business, instead of having huge lines at the checkout counter.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...