Skip navigation

5240 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2008 6:22 AM by cplmtz0121 1 2 Previous Next
MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2008 2:49 AM

Thursday Runs

5.4 miles on the treadmill.  Kinda dragging.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Sep 25, 2008 3:34 AM (in response to MCM Ron)
    Re: Thursday Runs

Cross training day for me.  Went for the usual 45 minutes on the bike at increasing resisitance.  Tried to hold the cadence at 90 - 100 rpm.  Interval workout tomorrow.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Sep 25, 2008 4:19 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Morning Everyone,

Today was a even harder day for me to run, I know its all mental but being able to trick yourself into not believeing what your hearing is the key for me, or atleast conning yourself through it.

Doreen and I talked about it this morning when I got back from my 6.5 mile run and it has to be my food intake over the last week. It hasnt been even close to being good. I think I went on the kick of well im burning all these calories I can eat whatever I want! NOT doesnt work for me that way so back on the wagon for me.

Anyway enough crying the blues for me, it was fogging and cool again here, I think around 55 degrees. Thank God its almost friday.........

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Sep 25, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to silvereagle)

Just finished my 4m and now it's into the garden, it needs work. Easy run this morning, felt great a 9:30 pace. If I could run like this everyday I'd be as happy as a pig in manure. BTW, Dennis, I've had weeks like that, it does get better and you'll have runs like I had this am. Hang in there.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    4. Sep 25, 2008 6:00 AM (in response to silvereagle)

silvereagle wrote:

Morning Everyone,

Today was a even harder day for me to run, I know its all mental but being able to trick yourself into not believeing what your hearing is the key for me, or atleast conning yourself through it.

Doreen and I talked about it this morning when I got back from my 6.5 mile run and it has to be my food intake over the last week. It hasnt been even close to being good. I think I went on the kick of well im burning all these calories I can eat whatever I want! NOT doesnt work for me that way so back on the wagon for me.

Anyway enough crying the blues for me, it was fogging and cool again here, I think around 55 degrees. Thank God its almost friday.........

Dennis

A month or so ago I had a bad week of running and was totally bonking on runs only 9 miles in length.  It was hot and humid and I wanted to blame it on that.  Liz and I got to talking and she told me she had been cutting back on the salt in the foods we were eating.  This just about did me in.  I eat a very salty diet and need it as I lose a ton of electrolytes when I run.  It so often is the diet that does your runs in and I notice this all the time.  I am religious with good eats Thursday through Sunday so I get the energy foods and the protein to help recover from the long runs.  Good to notice this now.

Also leading up to the marathon carb loading does not mean eating 5 servings when you normally eat 1 it means eat carbs primarily in every meal and eat normal servings.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Sep 25, 2008 8:32 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

After taking off a couple of days.  I managed 5 miles this morning.  My feet were hurting after that 23 miler on Saturday, so the time off was very beneficial.  I felt like a lazy, undisciplined sloth all week.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

Jan 19, 2008
    6. Sep 25, 2008 8:48 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Good for you Ruby, nothing better for the body than being lazy for a couple of days.  Hope you enjoyed it.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Sep 25, 2008 12:08 PM (in response to MCM Ron)

I had an early meeting this morning so I only had 40 minutes to run, shower, and then change.  I managed to squeeze in a decent 4 mile tempo run.  Not what I wanted, but it's better than nothing.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    8. Sep 25, 2008 12:33 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Pokey slow wooded meander after yesterday's quad-trashing adventure, running hard overall and pushing the downhills...........

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    9. Sep 25, 2008 1:45 PM (in response to MCM Ron)

Wednesday night run, actually.

I was overwhelmed with work for the last two weeks of August and the first three weeks of September.  Running was infrequent.  I am sooo ashamed!

Ran 6 miles on Sunday morning, then did 7.25 last night in decent (for me) time of 1:22.  I will go 8.5 on Sunday morning, and gear up to 10 by Thursday.  I fell off training pace due to (1) injury to right leg (all healed now) and (2) work issues.  But I will ratchet up the distance. 

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    10. Sep 25, 2008 2:38 PM (in response to MCM Ron)

Rest day for me today. ran 8 yesterday in an 8:45 pace. Felt good all the way through. in the last 1/4 mile I was running at a7:30 pace and felt a little "twinge' on the lateral side of my right knee. At 8 miles i slowed to walk it off and my knee pretty much collapsed. I was in excruciating pain. I almost had to crawl to the car! I was panicked, but in a few minutes it let up. It appears to be my IT band at this point. I took an ice bath and Motrin and felt better. I bought an IT strap. Today i am sore, but much improved. From what i read the best thing is ice, anti-inflammatories and stretching. Info on runners world said ok to run through it. I'm going to likely blow off my scheduled 5 miler tomorrow and look to do my 12 on saturday. Luckily, this is a step back week for me. The bottom of my feet are starting to feel the miles and i believe it's time to think about  some new shoes to get me through the marathon. Gues the miles are just starting to take a toll. It's all good. I ain't stoppin' now!

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    11. Sep 25, 2008 2:51 PM (in response to KrisMCM)

Glad for the "better" part!

Jan 19, 2008
    12. Sep 25, 2008 2:51 PM (in response to KrisMCM)

Kris, be careful, a little rest has never hurt anybody and new shoes are never a bad idea.  I bought 2 pairs a couple of days ago and I'm breaking in one pair for Chicago.  Hope you have a great long run this weekend.  Good luck and hope you're going to be pain free.

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    13. Sep 25, 2008 4:25 PM (in response to KrisMCM)

Kris:

Do you wear down the shoe on the leg that gave out faster than the other leg?

I ran 7 this AM for 50 over the past 6 days. I'm content though tired. Tomorrow is a rest day for my last LSD before Baltimore... and then the MCM (Baltimore is going to be an LSD). I ran in my new Brooks today. When I bought the shoes, I told the guy how many miles I got out of the old pair (about 350) and that my left knee was starting to bother me. He said I should be getting another 100 or so but the knee should not be an issue. He suggested looking at my arches. He compared the two and noticed the left arch was notably different. This causes me to overcompensate on the left side and wear down that shoe faster. He fitted me for inserts. He even screwed up one and pulled out a brand new one and did it again (I never tried on the shoe - he put it in and it somehow didn't feel right). I think the service was good. It was also an analysis that I had not had before. Ultimately, these inserts should stop the foot movement in the shoe and promote stability up the leg.

I asked if such inserts would help with IT band issues and he said most definitely. Maybe you should take your discuss this with your running shoe doctor (e.g. not Foot Locker, righ Peach?), explain that you have an IT band issue and someone suggested inserts, etc.

The way the arches are measured is that you measure your foot with your foot relaxed. I'm just over a size eight- on the left foot -- but when I stand up, the foot size is almost 10. The right foot only has about a 1 size difference between resting and standing. Inserts cost about $35 and should last a year and a half.

My left knee had been bothering me over the past 10 days but felt great this AM... and even now when it's raining outside (often a problem).

Good luck.

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    14. Sep 25, 2008 4:26 PM (in response to Steelers21)

Steelers21?????

Who 'dat??????

Glad to see you are back on board and getting back in the swing of things, Tim.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...