Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3687 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2009 12:47 AM by VRRunner RSS 1 2 Previous Next
megmegjo Rookie 7 posts since
Jul 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 5, 2008 7:07 PM

Any experience with the Nike+??

I am looking to buy a Nike+ wrist band or the Garmin 305, I have read all the reviews and am a little overwhelmed. There is so many conflicting opinions out there! Anyone have any recommendations or personal experience with either one? Thanks!

• fistsofury Amateur 33 posts since
    Mar 24, 2008
    1. Aug 12, 2008 9:42 AM (in response to megmegjo)
    Re: Any experience with the Nike+??

My sister just bought me a Garmin 405 with Heart Rate Monitor.  I've used it for 4 runs now.  It's has some great features.  I especially like being able to download my info to my computer after a run.  A map is shown with your route on it plus all the run info, ie. pace, time, distance, heart rate, elevation changes and so on.  The only downside was figuring out how to download all the necessary software for the Garmin 405 and the ANT stick (allows you to download info from watch to pc).  It was a bit confusing but I was able to figure it out after about an hour. 

The Garmin 405 is the upgraded model of the 305.  I'm not sure of all of the difference's.  Also, I've never used the Nike system.  I am a big fan of Nike running shoes and clothing, however if you decide to use a different brand of running shoe at a later time your kind of out of luck.  That was one of the factors for deciding which unit to purchase.  The biggest factor was the fact my sister bought it for me, price is definately a factor and I'm very grateful to have a wonderful sister.

Good Luck,

Brian

• Deborah Acosta Community Moderator 69 posts since
    Nov 2, 2007
    2. Sep 8, 2008 7:14 PM (in response to megmegjo)

I am a Garminite... I am playing with the Nike Plus just to challenge my friends on the East Coast and keep them honest!  Soooo, with my attempts and using both systems I would definitely stick with the Garmin...

Hope you find which one will work best for you.:D

Happy Running!

Happy Running,

~ Deborah

• teri dacto Pro 177 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    3. Sep 9, 2008 6:23 PM (in response to megmegjo)

Meg,

I have the Nike + and for the price it's a pretty cool gadget.  You don't have to just have the nike shoes in order to use the pod....you can buy a little pouch or rubber piece that can attach to your shoelaces.....you just have to check out the different vendors out there.  You can calibrate the equipment...I had it calibrated to running on the treadmill so when I ran outside there was a significant difference on the time/distance.  The thing that I like is how you can set the system to record either you mileage or kilometers run.  When you are running a voice will tell you that you've completed say your first kilometer or mile.  It's ideal because it is intertwined with your ipod and thus you get to listen to your tunes and then get "support" as well.  The system will also tell you if/when you've done your greatest distance or fastest mile.  Then, you can upload your information to the Nike site and it gives you a visual graph of your runs (distance/time).  You can challenge yourself and/or challenge others and the results will register online.  I recently did the Nike 10k with my system.

I don't have a garmin but will be getting one for my birthday in Nov...by request   I am getting the 305, I believe (the red one).  I've read about lots of problems with the updated model r/t sweating, and most reviews I've read rave about the older model.  I hear it's more accurate and really want one to help with my distance and pace on nonmarked routes.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Teri

• toverbeck Amateur 15 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    4. Sep 24, 2008 2:01 PM (in response to megmegjo)

Well I just took my Nike+ ipod out for the first run last week and I loved it. While of course the Garmin can do the mapping and all that the Nike+ was easy to use and pretty much ready to go.

You don't need to buy the Nike+ shoes which a lot of people seem to think is a must. I just picked up a pouch that attaches to my shoe laces and ran.

I don't know much about the wristband version but if you go to Nike's, Nike+ website there are some real good forums where people have discussed their experiences with it.

www.nikeplus.com

Tim

• breebauer Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    5. Sep 26, 2008 2:28 PM (in response to megmegjo)

I've been using the Nike+ Ipod sportkit for about 6 weeks. It's definetely worth the $30!!! 

It's very accurate (as long as you calibrate it), has features so you can customize workouts (miles or kilometers, distance workouts, timed workouts, etc) has spoken feedback to let you know when you hit the halfway point, and other mile/kilo markers), but will also give you info (time, pace, miles to go) each time you hit the center button on the ipod, and it lets you use your ipod playlists.

You can save your data on their website, have virtual races against other users, and keep track of your goals. I think it only works with the ipod nano though. I've heard that the new iphones come with it installed.

I've never had a garmin since I really can't afford one, so this is the next best thing for me, and totally worth the $$$!!!

• dbrown1177 Expert 39 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008
    6. Sep 26, 2008 5:43 PM (in response to megmegjo)

I have both the Nike+ and a Garmin 101.

The Nike+ is accurate if you calibrate it and run on similar terrain as where you calibrated it.

Example, If you calibrate it on a track and then go run on hilly terrain it will be off because it calibrates to your stride, which will be different on different terrains. I do love the community aspect of the Nike+ and the low cost.

The garmin is more expensive but is reliable on distance accuracy provided you run in areas that do not limit reception to the satellites for the GPS function.

• cpa0217 Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    7. Oct 2, 2008 7:28 AM (in response to megmegjo)

I can't comment on the Nike+ because I haven't used it. I have a Garmin Forerunner 205 (the blue one). As far a I know, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 205 and 305. The main one seems to be the heart monitor. Since the heart monitor wasn't important to me, I went with the 205 to save money. I really like the Garmin and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Also something to consider... Customer support is great with Garmin. I had a problem with mine after about 9 months. I called the company on a Monday & was instructed to return the unit to them for repair. I shipped it that same day. They were unable to repair it, so they sent me another one. I had it by Friday of that same week!!! (Note: I only live about 300 miles from the Garmin headquarters, so if you live farther, it could take a little longer. Still, I have never received such a quick response by a customer service department.)

May 18, 2008
    8. Oct 26, 2008 7:17 AM (in response to megmegjo)

Meg,

I posted previously and wanted to add some input on the Garmin....I still got it for my birthday but earlier....lol.

I would have to say I love the Garmin...to me, it's more accurate than the Nike + but obviously it's more expensive.  I have also weaned myself away from running with the Ipod (I find I am less stressed after a hard day if I don't have music on).  I did find it as a bundle for 259 on REI which gives you the equipment to use it on your bike as well....without the bundle it was 249....not too shabby.

I thought initially I might have problems with the size of the watch but it actually is comfortable.  It's very easy to adjust the settings and I like being able to see all the data at once....time/distance/HR/elevation.  When you connect it to your computer it shows your running route and data from each run which can be viewed on a graph.  I do think the HR information is important because it helps to identify how much effort you are putting in and how much harder you can run.

I am looking forward to wearing it in my 5k this afternoon so I can keep a continual eye on my pace. 

• CCRyder1 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    10. Oct 27, 2008 7:58 AM (in response to teri dacto)

Teri,

So you don't need Nike shoes with the Nike+ Sport?  Can you use it without an Ipod?  I'd just like it as a good way to track my runs (distance, time, pace, etc.) electonically and download to my PC.  Will the Nike+ Sport do just that basic function?

Thanks,

Chris

May 18, 2008
    12. Oct 27, 2008 4:29 PM (in response to CCRyder1)

Chris,

If you want to spend a minimal amount of money then the nike + system is the way to go.  I found a pouch and ipod case on ebay for less than 10 bucks and I believe the system itself is less than 50 bucks.  I've seen the watch but decided against it.  One cool advantage to the nike+ system is that it can be very encouraging to newbie runners.  You can set the distance you want to cover and the "voice" will tell you when you've achieved a kilometer or mile, however you set it.  Towards the end of your run it gives you information as to how much further you have to run....400 meters.....200 meters, etc.  It will tell you when you've accomplished your longest run and it will tell you if you had your best pace yet.  I liked those features but I've weaned myself off of running with an Ipod on.  I guess when I start training for my future HM I will reconsider...lol. 

Teri

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    13. Nov 2, 2008 4:58 PM (in response to CCRyder1)

Chris,

The Nike sport band does not require an iPod.  It is not as accurate as GPS, but for the price you cant beat it.  Check out the Nike website, they have a cool demo that gives you some of the basics.

Mike

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• CCRyder1 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    14. Nov 3, 2008 8:09 AM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)

Mike,

Thanks for the info.  I did check out the Nike.com site and it does look pretty cool for the price.  I appreciate your insight.

Chris

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...