Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1144 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2008 8:38 AM by niemsco
Timeyo Pro 71 posts since
Jul 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2008 4:26 PM

Lesson Learned from Heart Rate Monitor

So for part of my training I decided to go ahead and do a 1/3 race distance tri just to see how I feel before the race next weekend. I have done bricks but never all 3. So I when I got out of a pretty fast paced swim and went to my T1, my heart rate was about 169-172 which is what it gets up to at the end of a hard run. Anyway, got on the bike and off I went... my ride was surprisingly difficult because my heart rate never seemed to recover back down to about 150-160 when I cycle. So by the time the run came around, my heart rate again was high. So I am guessing that I need to basically keep the swim under control or else I am going to be in trouble for the race.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

Timeyo

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    1. Sep 28, 2008 8:30 PM (in response to Timeyo)
    Re: Lesson Learned from Heart Rate Monitor

This is not unusual. I know several people myself included with high heartrates during the swim even though the preceived effort is not that high.  Though I never find this a problem even in Ironman distance racing (at least now I don't), IF you can manage to get your HR down on the bike early, that is the key. If not your race will be shot. I speak from experience

The bike leg is like marathoning, most people start too fast and die later. You have to resist the attempt to go strong, let people pass, and focus on getting your HR down. The more training you have the easier this will be, and you can start getting into your rhythm. To help keep it in the small ring and spin until your HR is down, then go to the big ring.

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    3. Sep 29, 2008 8:38 AM (in response to Timeyo)
    Re: Lesson Learned from Heart Rate Monitor

You'll be doing long distance soon enough if you want.  The key is training at the right intensity so that you are fresh the next day so you can train some more.  So the heart rate thing, and establishing your zones and training in the right zones is critical as you move up in distance.  Anyone can do it if you can get the time.   Good luck with your race!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...