Skip navigation

7873 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2008 6:42 AM by DoubleEye RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 30, 2008 10:10 AM (in response to KrisMCM)
    Re: Tuesday Runs

I ran a very hilly 12 today at 9:40 pace (9:40 pace was originally going to be my marathon pace, still wondering if I should modify that). Felt pretty light and fast, got caught in the rain twice and saw lots of cute critters on the three or so miles of trails that I ran. I'm kind of frustrated because I feel like I've had a good training season but I'm worried it's not going to translate into a good marathon. I think barely missing my 10K PR on Sunday bummed me out more than I realized

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    16. Sep 30, 2008 10:14 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat, great time for a hilly 12 and then feeling good as well.  Don't be so hard on yourself, you're going to do great.  Positive thoughts translate into record times.

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    17. Sep 30, 2008 10:48 AM (in response to dutch omi)

I was having a crappy run until I passed a bicyclist on a hill!  

I started off this mornign to do a long Tempo run. I'm still really achy from a 20 mile race on Sunday and the warmup mile didn't feel good at all. I decided not to run at Tempo pace and I even cut it back a mile.  After about 1/2 of the run - right where the path takes a hard left to an uphill, a bicyclist gave me little (aka no) warning as I made the turn. and we came close to colliding. Another bike - who did give a warning - was right behind him passing so first bike rider slowed down to near a dead stop. Net result was not a collision, but close. It was 6:30 in the morning so it's not like the trail was crowded or anything. I was ******.

So I pick up my pace (adrenaline kicked in from near miss). The first bicyclist was slow topick up his pace - it was a little hill, so I kept pace with him. I even mentioned "C'mon - you can go faster than that". But try as he might, he didn't gofaster. I closed the gap even more. Then I realized I could beat this bike rider up the hill. So I did. As I passed him, I uttered another "pick it up" line. At the top, I thanked him for getting me up the hill and told him to enjoy his ride. I slowed a bit to let him go ahead. As I did that, I realized I hadn'tt run much faster than Tempo pace,so I kept that pace up for the rest of the run. Last halfof the runfelt wonderful - aches seemed to melt away.

BTW - September Totals: 213 miles and 3 pounds down.

Happy Running,

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    18. Sep 30, 2008 10:53 AM (in response to Andrew...)

Who cares about the 213, what really counts is the big 3.  Congrats on both.

• scottiesamples Amateur 36 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    19. Sep 30, 2008 10:58 AM (in response to badgergrl)

5 miles in 42:27 (8:27 per mile).  I was really not feeling like running today but made myself go and ended up running a PR for 5 miles.  Just proves you never know how a run is going to go until you get out there.  I postes a question last week about what I should do this weekend (run my last 20 miler before taper or run a 15K race), I have decided to run the 15K on Saturday at about a 10 min pace and then on Sunday run the 20 miles at a 10:15 ish pace.  The 15K is almost all down hill.  Hope everyone has a great day..

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    20. Sep 30, 2008 11:05 AM (in response to dutch omi)

I have not tried Ibuprophen pre-run, but may do so to see if it helps. I'm going for another 5 tomorrow and see how it feels.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    21. Sep 30, 2008 11:21 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

DCtoPgh wrote:

I ran a very hilly 12 today at 9:40 pace (9:40 pace was originally going to be my marathon pace, still wondering if I should modify that). Felt pretty light and fast, got caught in the rain twice and saw lots of cute critters on the three or so miles of trails that I ran. I'm kind of frustrated because I feel like I've had a good training season but I'm worried it's not going to translate into a good marathon. I think barely missing my 10K PR on Sunday bummed me out more than I realized

Kat, you are going to do GREAT!  Stick with me and we'll kick some as$.  My PMP is 9:20.  Just let me run behind you with a cattle prod and w'ell get there in record time!   Will you be happy with 4:15?

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    22. Sep 30, 2008 11:57 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

FormerBAM wrote:
    DCtoPgh wrote:

Kat, you are going to do GREAT!  Stick with me and we'll kick some as$.  My PMP is 9:20.  Just let me run behind you with a cattle prod and w'ell get there in record time!   Will you be happy with 4:15?

Would I be happy with cutting a half hour off of my previous time?! Haha, you're silly! Of course! I need to keep everything in perspective. I'm happy with my good health. I'm happy with my running friends. I'm thrilled I'm running a marathon in a few weeks. The time on the clock is only one component of a run, and a race is only one snapshot of a bigger picture.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    23. Sep 30, 2008 12:58 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Good attitude.  I can tell you right now, if I crash and burn and come in at 5 hours, by the time we leave Carpool that night, I would give a rat's as$.  I'm there to have fun running the MCM and see my friends.  A good finish time will just be gravy   I still think we can pull that out also!

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    24. Sep 30, 2008 12:59 PM (in response to badgergrl)

I did 6.5 miles right after lunch with splits from 6:30-6:15.  My knee was still a tiny bit sore from Saturday's 10K.

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    25. Sep 30, 2008 5:24 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Cross training day for me. I did one of my two usual 45 minute stationary bike workouts. The other day, I found my old heart rate monitor strap that works with my Lifecycle, so I put it on just to see what the old ticker was doing. When going for 4 minutes at about 50% of maximum resistance (Level 6 of 12), at a 95 - 100 rpm cadence, it was showing roughly 135 bpm. Then when I went for a full minute at close to max resistance (Level 11) and the same cadence, it read 155 - 160. Interesting information, but I must say that I don't usually focus on heart rates. I typically just gauge things according to my perceived exertion on a given day. Anyway only 7 cross training days left. Tomorrow, I am looking at 8 miles at PMP. Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• Al-MCM Legend 203 posts since
    Jul 6, 2008
    26. Sep 30, 2008 5:28 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

I had an easy 5 miles this afternoon.  I had a big sloppy burger for lunch and knew I would pay for it on the run but it didnt hurt me too bad.

"Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean." --
    Ryunosuke Satoro

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    27. Sep 30, 2008 5:43 PM (in response to Al-MCM)

Excellent runs all around! Nita & Kat, wow! I think y'all are gonna smoke me at MCM!

Hey, I got an actual training run in today and without reinjuring myself! 5k in 32:04 - only 11 minutes off of my PR. But who cares, I ran today!

• TampaTom Legend 252 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    28. Sep 30, 2008 7:23 PM (in response to Courir26)

Wow good job everyone - lots of runners out there today - a special Woohoo to BAM for her very successful long run today and entry to taperville.

I will sheepishly say I (only) ran 3 miles tonight.at a slow 10 min/mile pace.  My body wasn't feeling it tonight so I cut my usual midweek 5 miler short.   I'll save it for another day.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    29. Oct 1, 2008 6:40 AM (in response to TampaTom)

Coming over an hill and around a bend, I encountered a woman attempting to run while a young and bouncy black lab kept crossing in front of her.  Coming up the steeper hill coming off that loop, our paths meet again, but now she has the lab and two big goldens (all off leash) who have joined them all weaving and cutting around her, the canine runners all looking very happy, while the human is somewhere between swearing and laughing.  My run was somewhere around lactate threshold, hers somewhere near the threshold between anger and joy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...