Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16159 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2008 10:47 AM by Jay Silvio RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Swiddy805 Rookie 10 posts since
Aug 18, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2008 8:32 PM

race day breakfast

i have a road race sunday morning, a simple 5k. i was thinking about having a bowl of cereal combined with a bagel and orange juice. should i alter this in any way? i was told pancakes are carbs-heaven.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,270 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 24, 2008 6:27 AM (in response to Swiddy805)
    Re: race day breakfast

Too late for a reply.  How did it work?  Skim milk?  At least 2 hours before the race?

Len

Len

• Mary Mulcrone Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    2. Aug 25, 2008 2:36 PM (in response to Swiddy805)

Skip the OJ and have water or gatorade.  I usually eat a grain bagel toasted with peanut butter.  Don't overeat, you'll hate yourself the whole race.

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 10, 2008 6:04 PM (in response to Swiddy805)

How did you get the OJ on the Bagel?

Usually I have a small bowl of oatmeal about an hour and half prior to a race. Works like a charm.

I would try anything new before a training run, though. No need to ruin a race because the Quisp didn't

appeal to your gut.

• xcrunr1647 Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    5. Sep 10, 2008 8:34 PM (in response to Swiddy805)

You really have to find what works for you...it's kind of a blend of art and science.

For me, what works best is a huuuuge carb-heavy dinner the night before, then in the morning I have a granola bar and lots and lots and lots of Gatorade.

Once I'm peeing clear i'm good to go.

"Feet, don't fail me now!"
  • Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Sep 18, 2008 12:13 PM (in response to xcrunr1647)
    xcrunr1647 wrote:

You really have to find what works for you...it's kind of a blend of art and science.

For me, what works best is a huuuuge carb-heavy dinner the night before, then in the morning I have a granola bar and lots and lots and lots of Gatorade.

Yes, everyone is different.  I like a bagel with a spoonful of peanut butter and a banana about three hours before the start and then some sort of energy bar about 30-45 minutes before hand.  As for the night before, the conventional wisdom is that you go with a relatively small meal that is mainly carbs with a decent amount of protein (something like chicken or fish with rice) and avoid fat and excess roughage (no salads).

xcrunr1647, you may want to experiment with spreading your carbo-loading out over a few days and avoid that big meal the night before.  There is no way you can fully digest in that length of time so you'll be carrying unnecessary weight in your gut.  I know you're looking for those extra little advantages to help shave time and maybe this could help.

• mkorelc Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    7. Sep 18, 2008 12:39 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

It really does depend on what works for you as an individual as mentioned by another member. I run with a large group mixed with all levels and coaches and everyone does/eats something different. The head coach eats whole grain bagels toasted with peanut butter and rasins or a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and bananas. There are some people however who find that eating before a race upsets the stumach so they don't and that is ok. If you can't handle a breakfast eat a power bar or some kind of energy bar and drink pleanty of water. It's also a good idea to drink before, during, and after a race some kind of energy drink. I find that moon works well as does powerade for replacing the minerals you lose while you run. There are others of course such as Accelerade or gaterade so just try different things until you find one you like. Another great tip is that after a run some people find that chocolate milk helps with the recovery process as long as you drink it within the first hour of completing your run. This of course only works if you can have dairy products otherwise chocolate anything helps too.

• burhge Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    8. Sep 29, 2008 3:27 PM (in response to Swiddy805)

I usually eat a lot the night before my run; however, two slices of bread with Nutella and a glass of milk is enough for me for 5k.  I have a bowl of rice 3 hours prior to longer runs e.g 10k or 1/2 marathon.

Good luck with your run.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Sep 29, 2008 7:54 PM (in response to Swiddy805)

Here's a good article on this topic:

http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=3937&p=3933

Happy running!

Jay

• TheflyingG Amateur 7 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    10. Oct 3, 2008 7:28 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I am piggybacking. What about pre-race meals for a half-marathon? I was a 5K runner in highschool, played volleyball for 25 years, and now have fallen in love with the half-marathon.  Problem is, I have run two, and have really burned out around the 10-11 mile mark.  Real muscle fatigue. I do not eat much or breakfast, nor do I eat during the race.  Should I be?

• ecmille1 Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 22, 2007
    11. Oct 3, 2008 8:12 AM (in response to TheflyingG)

I am an experienced half-marathon runner, and I've found that it's really helpful to have a gel around mile 10. It gives me a jolt of energy and wakes up my muscles for thost last three miles. Guess it's the power of glucose.

• TheflyingG Amateur 7 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    12. Oct 3, 2008 8:54 AM (in response to ecmille1)

Yes. I've used them, but just at the starting line. I am trying to focus on how I hold my wrists, so unless my wife is willing to chuck it to me on the course, I hate carrying anything. I don't know how people do waterbottles.  If I want to keep my time shrinking, I will have to change that.

Thx, Steve

• xcrunr1647 Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    13. Oct 3, 2008 10:14 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Well, Jay when I said a huge carb-heavy dinner the night before...I eat ridiculous amounts of food all the time. I typically do 8-10k calories per day. I am literally ALWAYS eating. The only time I'm really not eating or debating what to eat is when I'm getting ready to go on a run or at work. Even when I'm at school, I carry granola bars and a big bag of pretzels around with me, along with a big bottle of water.

I have never, ever met someone who eats more than me (and no, all my friends are not 100 pounds or less haha).  So I really meant that I focus more on carbs the night before a race. I typically do a high-protein diet most days, but I eat so much that I really end up getting healthy amounts of everything lol.

That said, I will definitely look into it, and thanks for the insight!

"Feet, don't fail me now!"
  • Ruhorserider Amateur 58 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Oct 3, 2008 10:45 AM (in response to Swiddy805)

I've done a few 5 K, one 8 K and one 10 K.  I've experimented with bagles, orange juice and Cool-aid, and nothing at all.  I often have cramps right before the start, probably due to nerves.  So my last 5 K (in the spring) I did not eat anything at all.  And I still had cramps.  But I ran my PR.  So I totally don't know what to think.  Last 10 K I did , about a month ago, was during the evening.  I had no cramps, and I ate normal food, nothing different. 

So now my fall 8K is coming up and I am at a loss of what to eat/not eat.  Cramps, diarrhea and such are my worst fear.  Running out of energy is close second!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...