Skip navigation

95062 Views 678 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2008 4:28 PM by Immer treu RSS Go to original post 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 Previous Next
  • RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    645. Oct 4, 2008 4:09 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    Re: Long Run Updates (Version 2008)

Wonderful run today, Kat!

Ken,  I have a feeling that your 20 miler will be a breeze for you, especially with the company.  Have fun.

I ran my final 20 miler today!!  It almost didn't happen, but somehow I got out there and got it done.  Surprisingly my 23 miler a few weeks ago felt much better.  Not sure why.  Any hoooo... 

Woooo HOOOOO!!!  I've finally arrived in Taperville.  I've earned my spot on the couch, next to Ron.  So hand over that pillow.  Pillow fight!!!!!!!!!

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• mbottos Amateur 37 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    646. Oct 4, 2008 4:43 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Did my 1st  30+ miler today at 30.6,  overall pace 11:25/mile, what a great cool day to run!  No taper yet for me though - I want to get in another 30+ probably in november.  The 50 mile distance is still scary, JFK50 here I come...

• Ken_Fagut Expert 49 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    647. Oct 4, 2008 4:56 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Thanks Kat!

How sweet to be on the other end of the cycle, you must be savoring it!  I can't wait to run tomorrow, and yes I must be nuts for saying that, but I reflect back on all the long runs, the heat, and feeling like I went through an old fashioned clothing wringer to now.

AND 30 Miles, OMG, can't even get my head around that right now.  Sure I would if my goal was 50, but WOW, you are awesome.  Great job.

Ken

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    648. Oct 4, 2008 8:46 PM (in response to Ken_Fagut)

My first 30 miler came from a map error; there was no road at the magic spot,  only a choice of turns to get where the food was............

• Al-MCM Legend 203 posts since
    Jul 6, 2008
    649. Oct 5, 2008 9:15 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Helllloooooooo Taperville!  Got my 20 miles in this morning and it wasn't as bad as I though.  The temperature felt great and there was not a cloud in the sky, a beautiful morning for a run.  I finished at a 10:09 pace and my split for each 10 mile portion was identical. 

When I started this trek 5 months ago I was hoping that I could finish in under 4 hours.  While I would still like to, I think it is more reasonable for me to shoot around 4:20 and make sure that I finish good.   I am so looking forward to this marathon now and can't believe it is only 3 weeks away!

Great job finishing up all of your long runs, see you on the taperville couch!!!    

"Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean." --
    Ryunosuke Satoro

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    650. Oct 5, 2008 9:18 AM (in response to Al-MCM)

Congrats Al, Ruby and David

And as far as you crazy ultra runners? While I say that I think you're nuts, I secretly envy and admire your ability to push your body far beyond its limits.

Impressive runs, everyone! 

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• DoubleEye Legend 645 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    652. Oct 5, 2008 10:07 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Finished 20 miles this morning. Went well, great time (for me) of 2:49, but the last 2 miles my body definitely started to give me the "call it quits" signs. A couple cramps, losing focus of running form, etc. I guess it was a combo of pushing the pace faster than normal for such a distance plus not taking any energy food since the 10-mile refuel/rehydrate point. Either way, legs took a little to calm down, but all feels well now and the McDonald's tasted great.

Great job everyone else...it's nice to finally land here in Taperville. The stay is going to be great.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    653. Oct 5, 2008 10:54 AM (in response to DoubleEye)

Karl, Isaac, what great runs!!!! Absolutely awesome and inspiring, both of you are going to burn some serious rubber in DC.  Great runs everyone else as well.  It's good to see that everyone has made it to Taperville and now will enjoy the place.  It's just so nice and flat and when you look out from your couch you can see the hills in the distance.

Apr 25, 2008
    654. Oct 5, 2008 11:29 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Al, David ,Karl, and Isaac Congratulations for joining the ranks of Taperville.  Fine runs to all of you.  The fun is just around the corner for us.

Ruby- you must be psychic-  I wanted to get five miles in before the group run, as it would be a mental boost to know I was finishing as the others had more miles to complete their respective 20's.  I arrived at the park at 6:40, it is 44 degrees and dark.  I thought I was sleep walking, and dodging some of the puddles from the rain just added to the entertainment.  Due to the layout in the park, going around both lakes is 3 miles, and the big one 2 miles.  By the time I was going around for the last time I was on auto pilot, just cruising along, but not really pushing the pace, finishing the  5 miles in around 42 minutes.

Now come the fun, running with the group.  We start out going up hill out of the park and I find myself with the first group of runners, as we get out of the park a group of four take off.  I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to them, thinking I am not in their league.  As I get moving I find my legs are responding, and I am with a seasoned marathoner that has had someone coaching him for the MCM.  We are running at about an 8 minute pace, clicking of the miles.  Some inclines come and I just start cruising up them and notice that Pat just does not want me to pass, so I just ramp it up a little more just to have some fun (I know pretty sick, but I was able to do it!).  We stay together for about 10 miles, but we go our separate ways because I did not want to do 22 miles, and had a by-pass that would give me just a tad over 20.  Two gel packs and five cups of water later, I am cruising into the park, feeling a little tight, but really quite good.  Elapsed time 2:52, a record for me.

It is now about 4 hours later and I have really good energy, and am now finally able to shower!  had to shuttle kids around, do lunch etc..

Wow, feeling like celebrating the move to taper miles, now I have to be good!

Best to all,

Ken

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    655. Oct 5, 2008 1:53 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Scheduled for 20 miles today, but decided to push to 22 to see what my IT Band is going to do for the marathon. Tough run, but satisfied with completeing my longest distance ever. My IT Band went out again at mile 11. I stopped for about 4 minutes to stretch and it helped. Actually felt until mile 20.5. I had to runwalk avery 1/4 mile or so after.

I ncreased my run walk time to 2 miles on then 30 seconds or so off. Felt good most of the way other then the IT Band issue. I think I will stick to the 1.5 miles on then 30 seconds off. We'll see. Did energy gels at miles 3,6,9,12,16, and 19. Finished in 3:46:00, still within my goal pace. I can't believe that the training starts to taper down now for the MCM! Holy $...! I'll be stretching alot until then to get the IT band in as good a shape as I can. I'll crawl across that line before I give up.

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    656. Oct 5, 2008 3:03 PM (in response to KrisMCM)

Great job on the runs everyone!!

Did my 20 miles yesterday morning and they were rough.  I only got about 4 hours of sleep Friday night and I did not want to get up and thought of every excuse to crawl back into bed.  Finally got out on the trail a little bit before 8am.  It was perfect running weather!!  Up to mile 10 was feeling great and then it took all I had not to drive straight home, all I wanted to do was take a nap!  Calves started to cramp up around mile 12 and then met a nice runner named Paul who was a distraction for miles 13-16 and kept me going.  The last two miles were pure he!! and I probably walked more than I ran, I wanted to sit down on the side of the trail and just be done but pushed through and finished in 3:29:34!!!!  Through the entire run I kept thinking to myself "Just get through this and you can go to taperville"....and now I am there!!!!

• mbottos Amateur 37 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    657. Oct 5, 2008 3:28 PM (in response to DoubleEye)

wow some you guys are fast,  I can't imagine holding an 8:30 pace for 20 miles

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    658. Oct 5, 2008 4:24 PM (in response to mbottos)

mbottos wrote:

wow some you guys are fast, I can't imagine holding an 8:30 pace for 20 miles

I can't either.  It would be hard to do it for 5.

Apr 25, 2008
    659. Oct 5, 2008 4:30 PM (in response to dutch omi)

It was a good day--- I should be so lucky come MCM!

Ken

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...