Skip navigation

7297 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2008 8:00 AM by x_39_and_holding_x 1 2 Previous Next
x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 5, 2008 7:42 AM

RR:  Army Ten Miler

An 8:00 AM race is a good thing.  It means I can sleep in.  And with plenty of nearby parking, this was going to be a good day.

Morning temps at 5:00 AM were in the low 50s.  The dew point was at 56.  Humidity was at 86%.  Winds were very light.  A great morning for a run.

I made my way to Pentagon City to park and then meet my corporate team.  I was there early and they weren't allowing anyone through the pedestrian tunnel (odd?) and instead had to walk a couple of blocks crossing traffic to get to Fern or Eads Streets to get through the Pentagon bag check.  So I never saw my team with the interest of finding my new route and a porta pottie.  I had an hour before the race start so I wandered around looking for any kind of signage for the start corrals.  I was already familiar with the finish area, which oddly enough, was where they were feeding us into.  So after walking around with the dual purpose of warming up and scouting the area, I eventually wandered to my corral which was red and up on Rt. 27 quite a ways from the general start and finish area.

At 7:10, the Golden Knights parachuted in right after the Canadian team.  It was an amazing display of aerial skill.  Each of the Golden Knights landed perfectly 50 meters ahead of the start finish line in what appeared to be near-crash speed but all was well.

At 7:45 the Star Spangled Banner was sung and there was a simultaneous flyover by 4 Blackhawk helicopters.  This part always makes my eyes water, just a bit.

At 7:50, the handbike and wounder warrior start went off.  There were lots of cheers.  Lots.

Promptly at 8:00, the first wave started and that included the yellow, green, red, and blue corrals.  It was a fairly slow start but within a half a mile or so people were moving pretty good and within a mile it seemed pace was where it needed to be.

I was cranking along at 7:20-ish for a good part of the race focusing mostly on avoiding people, manhole covers, curbs, and any errant unladen swallows.  My plan was to see if I could keep up the 7:2x pace for a while, fall back to 7:4x for a bit and then try to finish at 7:30.  The first 4 miles went by pretty fast.  They were a blur of runners.  Miles 4-6 were a little tougher and I remmeber hitting mile 5 and saying, "Well, at least I'm half way."  By mile 8 I was starting to struggle but each time I ran past a guy with one good leg and a prosthetic I told myself I had to keep moving.  If he could run, I could run.  The bridge came up at mile 9 and reminded me how much I a hate it.  It's all psychological but I hate it nonetheless.  It's long, slow, uphill climb for the most part.  With few people and little to see.

As I came off the bridge and hit the penultimate corner one of the soldiers shouted, "One more turn!" and then I realized it was time to really step on the gas.  So I did.  I started passing people at will as I sprinted to the finish line which was maybe 200 yards ahead of the last turn.  As I crossed the line knowing I had met my goal of 75 minutes (plus, perhaps, a few seconds), I was happy.  A 10-mile PR by more than 3 and a half minutes and 11 minutes faster than last year.

I turned in my chip, grabbed my finisher's coin, snagged some food, and headed for the exit.  There weren't many of done but it was crowded with family and friends.  I headed back to the car to make a hasty retreat from the confines of the parking garage before the mass exodus created a backlog of cars idling like hungry dogs waiting to fight over a single steak.

I never saw Craig although we were in the same corral.  It's difficult when there are 20,000+ runners.

On the plus side, there was plenty of water this year.  Plenty.  But then again I was a lot faster and I didn't run out last year either but just from what I could tell, the later runners should be just fine.  The Army seemed to do well and get lucky with the weather to fix that from last year.  Signage sucked.  OK, so the big colored balloon arches were pretty good but unless you knew the general direction to go to get to the corrals, it was just about wandering aimlessly to find your starting spot.  The food was plentiful at the end.  Muffins, bagles (albeit packaged bagels that tasted a little stale), cookies, bananas, and some other treats. There was also plenty of water at the end too. 

At the end of the day, I like the Army Ten Miler better than the Cherry Blossom partly because of the bling but mostly because of the association with the soldiers and specifically the wounded warriors who have the courage, strength, and determination to go out there when there are so many "whole" people who just sat on the couch this morning.

HOOAH!

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Oct 5, 2008 8:11 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    Re: RR: Army Ten Miler

Congrats on your PR, impressive Jerry.  Great RR as well. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 5, 2008 8:39 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Congrats on your PR Jerry.  A most impressive run on a good running day.

Len

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    4. Oct 5, 2008 9:08 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Jerry you have gotten SO FAST! Great job Sounds like the perfect day for a race!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Oct 5, 2008 9:39 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Great job on that run Jerry.  I am thinking about running the same 10 mile race I did last year on Thanksgiving morning to see how I do compared to the time of 1:22:31 I posted last year.  Haven't made up my mind yet though.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• DoubleEye Legend 645 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    6. Oct 5, 2008 10:04 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Nice race report - I thought about you all when I was out running this morning. Great job.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Oct 5, 2008 10:18 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Congratulations on crushing out a new PR!!! 

How does it feel to be running along with hardly anyone around?  And to be one of the first ones to finish?  I couldn't even imagine that. 

We're all very proud of you!

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    9. Oct 5, 2008 2:06 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Congrats on a great run!! Excellent race report!

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Oct 5, 2008 3:45 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

An 8:00 AM race is a good thing.  It means I can sleep in.  And with plenty of nearby parking, this was going to be a good day.

Morning temps at 5:00 AM were in the low 50s.  The dew point was at 56.  Humidity was at 86%.  Winds were very light.  A great morning for a run.

I made my way to Pentagon City to park and then meet my corporate team.  I was there early and they weren't allowing anyone through the pedestrian tunnel (odd?) and instead had to walk a couple of blocks crossing traffic to get to Fern or Eads Streets to get through the Pentagon bag check.  So I never saw my team with the interest of finding my new route and a porta pottie.  I had an hour before the race start so I wandered around looking for any kind of signage for the start corrals.  I was already familiar with the finish area, which oddly enough, was where they were feeding us into.  So after walking around with the dual purpose of warming up and scouting the area, I eventually wandered to my corral which was red and up on Rt. 27 quite a ways from the general start and finish area.

At 7:10, the Golden Knights parachuted in right after the Canadian team.  It was an amazing display of aerial skill.  Each of the Golden Knights landed perfectly 50 meters ahead of the start finish line in what appeared to be near-crash speed but all was well.

At 7:45 the Star Spangled Banner was sung and there was a simultaneous flyover by 4 Blackhawk helicopters.  This part always makes my eyes water, just a bit.

At 7:50, the handbike and wounder warrior start went off.  There were lots of cheers.  Lots.

Promptly at 8:00, the first wave started and that included the yellow, green, red, and blue corrals.  It was a fairly slow start but within a half a mile or so people were moving pretty good and within a mile it seemed pace was where it needed to be.

I was cranking along at 7:20-ish for a good part of the race focusing mostly on avoiding people, manhole covers, curbs, and any errant unladen swallows.  My plan was to see if I could keep up the 7:2x pace for a while, fall back to 7:4x for a bit and then try to finish at 7:30.  The first 4 miles went by pretty fast.  They were a blur of runners.  Miles 4-6 were a little tougher and I remmeber hitting mile 5 and saying, "Well, at least I'm half way."  By mile 8 I was starting to struggle but each time I ran past a guy with one good leg and a prosthetic I told myself I had to keep moving.  If he could run, I could run.  The bridge came up at mile 9 and reminded me how much I a hate it.  It's all psychological but I hate it nonetheless.  It's long, slow, uphill climb for the most part.  With few people and little to see.

As I came off the bridge and hit the penultimate corner one of the soldiers shouted, "One more turn!" and then I realized it was time to really step on the gas.  So I did.  I started passing people at will as I sprinted to the finish line which was maybe 200 yards ahead of the last turn.  As I crossed the line knowing I had met my goal of 75 minutes (plus, perhaps, a few seconds), I was happy.  A 10-mile PR by more than 3 and a half minutes and 11 minutes faster than last year.

I turned in my chip, grabbed my finisher's coin, snagged some food, and headed for the exit.  There weren't many of done but it was crowded with family and friends.  I headed back to the car to make a hasty retreat from the confines of the parking garage before the mass exodus created a backlog of cars idling like hungry dogs waiting to fight over a single steak.

I never saw Craig although we were in the same corral.  It's difficult when there are 20,000+ runners.

On the plus side, there was plenty of water this year.  Plenty.  But then again I was a lot faster and I didn't run out last year either but just from what I could tell, the later runners should be just fine.  The Army seemed to do well and get lucky with the weather to fix that from last year.  Signage sucked.  OK, so the big colored balloon arches were pretty good but unless you knew the general direction to go to get to the corrals, it was just about wandering aimlessly to find your starting spot.  The food was plentiful at the end.  Muffins, bagles (albeit packaged bagels that tasted a little stale), cookies, bananas, and some other treats. There was also plenty of water at the end too. 

At the end of the day, I like the Army Ten Miler better than the Cherry Blossom partly because of the bling but mostly because of the association with the soldiers and specifically the wounded warriors who have the courage, strength, and determination to go out there when there are so many "whole" people who just sat on the couch this morning.

HOOAH!

Plus they have cooler shirts. :-p

I always forget you're former military, Jerry. It's so hard to be senile this young.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    11. Oct 5, 2008 5:04 PM (in response to thefirecat)

What a great report and run!!!  There will be some amazing folks at MCM, too, deserving our respect and inspiring others along the way.  Some will be wheeled warriors, others using hardware you'd wish no one ever needed to invent, still others around you with less obvious stories..... How can each of us make it a better day for them and each other?

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    12. Oct 5, 2008 6:46 PM (in response to Immer treu)

Great report! I almost feel like I was there!

Race results are up. Congratulations on the top 10% finish and excellent time! You're ready for a serious PR in Chicago. You started about 30 seconds before me and ran faster from the start, so there was no missed "passing" point.

I agree the Army Ten Miler is better than Cherry Blossom, and I liked Cherry Blossom more than you did. The cherry blossoms do make that course prettier, but the CB roads are so narrow that the race is ridiculously crowded for several miles. ATM has much wider roads so only minor early crowding, plus the expo is better and the coins are a nice touch.

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    14. Oct 6, 2008 7:42 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

3:54, ah, that answers my question.

Jerry, you nailed that ATM!  Way to go.  I hope you recover quickly for Chicago.

I love the 10 mile distance, don't you?  Next Feb you should consider a trip up to Frederick County MD for the Lewis Run 10-Miler.  It's a small race, but a beautiful course and fun race.  And one of the hilliest/ most challenging races I've run.

Again, congrats on 75 and change! 

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...