Skip navigation

2454 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2008 10:19 AM by Timeyo RSS
Timeyo Pro 71 posts since
Jul 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2008 6:39 AM

First Tri Checkin!

I know that quite a few people just completed their first Tri's this weekend and figured it would be cool if we could hear from all that completed tri's in one thread so we can congratulate you all and not miss your threads. It would be great if you could share the following that would be great:

Who

Where

Experience Description

Tips & Tricks

This info I think will be invaluable to the rest of us coming into our first Tri.

Thanks

• triitout Expert 51 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    1. Oct 2, 2008 10:21 AM (in response to Timeyo)
    Re: First Tri Checkin!

Time,

OK, I did my second tri on Saturday, does that count?  It was in Colorado Springs at the Air force Acadamy base.  Here's the stats and what I've learned from both of them:

750 meter swim plus a run across the building out the door: 14:25

14.69 mile bike (tons of hills!)-1:00:22

5K run 29:00

What I've learned:

Warm up!  I didn't warm up my first tri and I felt like I was going to die during the swim.  The second time I warmed up and felt great.

Talk to those around you.  I've learned more about little tricks by talking to people around me (I always look for people w/ the aero bars, they're the ones that have done hundreds of tris!)

Hydrate starting 2 days before.  I've done with this both tris and have had no problems. 

Practice transitions.  I tweaked around my transitions and learned stuff that I would have never thought about (like when setting up your shoes, undo the velcro on your bike shoes so they're ready to go!)

I've also learned that I'm hooked on this sport, and will do many more next year!

Timeyo,  You better post Monday morning!  I'm dying to know how you liked it!  Let me know if you have any other questions!

• triitout Expert 51 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    3. Oct 6, 2008 10:24 AM (in response to Timeyo)

Time,

Good job, man you were screamin' on that run!  WOW!  Glad you liked it!

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    4. Oct 6, 2008 10:39 AM (in response to Timeyo)

Congratulations Triathlete!  Sounds like you had a really good race and stuck to the plan.  Don't bother monitoring your HR during your swim.  I only wear the HR strap during the swim so I don't have to put it on while in T1.  I would get use to swimming on feel, you don't want to be looking down at the watch while you are going at it, it will break up your rhythm.  Congrats!

• Bear 2000 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    7. Oct 7, 2008 4:17 AM (in response to Timeyo)

Congrats Timeyo! My first is this weekend in Destin. Thanks for the tips, and I'll see you at the Crab Trap.

Cheers,

Bear

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    8. Oct 7, 2008 7:34 AM (in response to Timeyo)

Timeyo,

It was fun reading your race report! Great race! Like you wrote, sometimes seeing the swim course mapped out is intimidating, especially when the swim loop gets really big. I'll be like really, that's the same distance as however many laps in the pool?  Are you sure?

You wrote about seeing the crabs in the swim below you. I love seeing stuff in the water. Sometimes my husband calls me the Jane Goodall of triathlon, because I'm always seeing stuff while I swim, bike and run. I love it. One summer I took a disposable camera and put it in my bento box on the bike. It was a fun part of training that year.

Well done!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...