Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1214 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2008 1:28 PM by DaveVause
LMJenkins Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 3, 2008 6:15 AM

Heel Pain

Hello.  This is my first post here -- I could use a little advice.

I am a semi-newbie.   I've been running for about a year, but I am not that consistent.  I ran a half-marathon in August, and have done a few smaller races -- an 8K and a 5K.

My question is about heel pain.  My left heel has been painful for the past few months.  I don't feel any pain while I am running, but a few hours later it starts and lasts for a few days.  It started right before my half-marathon, so I got new shoes but it's still occuring.  It is not debiltating -- I can walk through it, but I am afraid that I am going to do permanent damage and become unable to run. 

Has anyone experienced this? Do you have any advice? I don't know if there is a stretch I can do, or if I should see a sports medicine doctor about it.

Thanks,

Lauren

• phil7445 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 4, 2008 4:06 PM (in response to LMJenkins)
    Re: Heel Pain

You need to see a good Sports medicine Dr or Podiatrist. There are a dozen different things that could be the problem, including a stress fracture. Most of them are treated with rest, though....

• JA Cali Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    2. Oct 5, 2008 7:36 PM (in response to LMJenkins)

Hey fellow runner, you may have Plantar Fasciitis.  That is an injury of the Plantar Fascia, the tendon that goes from the heel to almost the front of the foot.  Basically, tendon is swollen.  It may hurt more in the morning when you first get out of bed and stretch the foot. 

Tips: roll your foot on a frozen bottel, stretch your foot by pulling back with a band, massage your foot, or, some do this, tape the middle of your foot - this will lift the plantar.  I'm not a doctor, only someone who has some experience with running and the various injuries.  Also, feel comfortable seeing your Doc.  Advice is easy to give, but you never want to take care of the wrong problem

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 7, 2008 1:28 PM (in response to LMJenkins)

Heel pain is a classic plantar fasciitis symptom.  It needs to be managed or it will only get worse.  I'm on the road to recovery myself, finding that there's a lot of mis-information out there on it.  Your best info source is peer-reviewed studies like the one cited here:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/55664.php

Additionally, despite what some websites claim, calf stretching (straight leg and bent knee) helps.  The Strassburg sock does wonders.....

http://www.thesock.com/

so do OTC orthotics.

To overcome my PF, I gave up running for 14 weeks.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...