Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16952 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2008 10:47 AM by Jay Silvio Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • xcrunr1647 Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 3, 2008 10:51 AM (in response to Ruhorserider)
    Re: race day breakfast

Generally speaking, you want to find something light, and not eat anything much closer than 30 minutes to race time. Like I said, I'll typically eat maybe a granola bar the day of the race, and oftentimes I have to force it down. Mostly i just drink plenty of Gatorade before the race and I'm fine. You really just have to experiment and find what works for you.

"Feet, don't fail me now!"
  • whitefirelight Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    16. Oct 3, 2008 11:16 AM (in response to Swiddy805)

Okay, the name may be out of the mainstream, but for my last long run I had about a cup of Ezekial 4:9 Golden Flax Cereal with a cop of light Vanilla Soy Milk and a banana. After the 12 mile run I went and swam laps for about half an hour, good slow long burning breakfast fuel. It's made by these guys: http://www.foodforlife.com/

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Oct 3, 2008 12:27 PM (in response to Ruhorserider)
    Ruhorserider wrote:

So now my fall 8K is coming up and I am at a loss of what to eat/not eat.

In general you should have a small meal about three hours before your race.  It should be mostly carbohydrates with a little protein.  Stick to familiar foods that are low-bulk, low-fat, and are not spicey.  I tend to go with a toasted bagel topped with a small smear of peanut butter and sliced banana.  Then, about 30-45 minutes before I race I'll have some sort of energy bar to inject some additional gylcogen to my muscles.

• TJGerken Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 3, 2008
    18. Oct 3, 2008 1:52 PM (in response to TheflyingG)

Hi Steve,

Have you heard of Mazama's SideStream hydration waist pack? It's great! I just got mine and ran with it through some really hilly terrain, and I can say it's the best invention I have ever seen for hydration on-the-go. It has a retractable drink tube. It straps to your waist and sits at your lumbar. It did not bounce or move around one bit. It was so comfortable; I forgot it was there, except when I got thirsty, of course! No more water bottles for me!

TJ

P.S. It also has a zipper-pocket for your cell phone, keys, ID, whatever.

SIDESTREAM HYDRATION WAISTPACK

Lumbar-riding hydration waistpack for running, cross-country skiing, and everyday training. Designed to get you out the door quickly and let you hydrate easily and efficiently. It features the Sidestream's revolutionary retracting drink tube and a 27 oz. top-fill internal bladder.

Go to: http://www.mazamadesigns.com/Product_Catalog_01.htm

• revere__1 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    19. Oct 5, 2008 7:02 AM (in response to Swiddy805)

The one rule I think all will agree on don't try anything on race day that you haven't done in training

I have a bagel with peanut butter but I always have a small cup of coffee. The famous Bill Rodgers cup of coffee for obvious reasons.... Drink fluids until fully hydrated

• dalekeener Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    20. Oct 8, 2008 9:55 AM (in response to Swiddy805)

I will be running my second marathon next Sunday, the Columbus Marathon. I think I ate too much the night before the previous marathon. Would it be better for me to eat a bigger meal at lunch the day before and maybe just have a power bar or something the night before.

What about prerace meals the day of a marathon...any tips???

Thanks,

Dale

Today is the Greatest Day of My Life
  • Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Oct 8, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to dalekeener)
    dalekeener wrote:

any tips???

• avoid big meals for 36 hours before your race

• avoid excess fat, bulk/roughage, and spicy foods during the last few days before your race

• remember to drink plenty of fluids throughout the days leading up to your race

• try spreading out your food intake into 4 or 5 smaller meals each day rather than 2 or 3 big ones

• get up early so that you can finish your breakfast at least 3 hours before the race (this also helps your muscles to stretch out naturally)

• pop an energy bar or gel, etc. 15-45 minutes before the start in order to elevate the glycogen supplies available to your muscles

As for pre-race breakfasts, I like a bagel with a small smear of peanut butter and a sliced banana or, when it's cold out, a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon.  Don't forget to drink plenty of water.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...