Skip navigation

5735 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2007 11:52 AM by blodonnell RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • tigford Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 17, 2006 6:55 AM (in response to dpvan1)
    Endurolytes and Morton's Lite Salt

I agree with the effectiveness of Endurolytes.

http://www.e-caps.com/

A lower cost solution would be adding Morton Lite salt to your sport drink, as suggested by jgalindo100. I've used both, but the Endurolytes don't make my sports drink (Exceed) taste bad. It now also comes in a powder form for mixing in with your drink, but I just open a few capsules into a bottle before a race. I never need them for regular training rides, but up the mileage and/or intensity, and it becomes mandatory!

Oh, and NEVER use a decongestant the days before an event unless you like cramping. Trust me on this one!

• funbobby1932 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Mar 17, 2006 9:14 AM (in response to dpvan1)
    Re: Supplemental Salt

This is a tricky one, and the impact varies greatly from individual to individual.  Sodium supplementation (short-term, concentrated) is generally not recommended in an attempt to combat the physiological effects of dehydration due to exercise.  One of the classic positions on sodium supplementation is that it can actually exacerbate the situation, versus improving it. 

When you ingest a concentrated amount of sodium in a short period of time your body reactes as if the sodium in your system is "in excess."  The result is that your body actually draws additional water from the surrounding tissues in an attempt to moderate (dilute) the sodium concentration, thereby further depleting the water available to the muscles and the sweating-evaporative-cooling process.

Again, it's tricky because theoretically your body needs certain levels of sodium, calcium, potassium, etc. in order for the signals from your nervous system to effectively trigger your muscles to fire.  The levels needed are within a range, versus being well-defined, and again can vary widely from individual to individual.  The goal should be to maintain a balance in these nutrients, and generally speaking sports drinks are formulated to do a good job of this. 

Some people prescribe to a regime of salt "loading" over a more extended period of time prior to endurance exercise, much like carbo-loading the day before a big event.  Theoretically, however, your body may excrete the excess salts before it has a chance to use it during exercise anyway.  And, it can be harder on your kidneys too.

I have no hard conclusions to draw or recommendations to make, but hopefully this provides a little more insight into the topic.

• dbdutro Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Mar 17, 2006 10:15 AM (in response to dpvan1)

I understand that a lack of sodium can cause cramping, but the lack of potassium is a myth. With a low amount of potassium you would suffer more than cramps(heart fail.) You should look at the amount of Calcium in you diet.

• IMElizabeth Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. Mar 17, 2006 12:52 PM (in response to dpvan1)

Thank you all for your great suggestions and ideas. JerryB - you gave me some interesting info and appreciate your sharing.

I have to say how all our bodies are so different and what we use is so varied, obviously, what works for one person won't work for another.

As a point of interest, I take major calcium supplements (have to at my age), eat calcium rich foods and have taken Cal/Mag 2:1 on the actual marathon (twice) - but the cramps still hit me - so for me that does not work...that's why we all are so different.

Thanks all - great stuff!

• pgmanski Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. May 25, 2006 8:26 PM (in response to dpvan1)

Yo're talking recipe for disaster baby.Red Bull? and exercise? Whoah your nuts man. That's way out there. How about a line of coke and a swig of Gatorade?

I would never ever tell anyone I cared about to drink sugarless Red Bull during an endurace event. Period.

• blodonnell Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. May 25, 2007 11:52 AM (in response to dpvan1)

I would like to know about this Endurolytes supplement. My husband starting using this particular supplement about 3 to 4 weeks ago, and now he is jaundiced and the doctors are very concerned about him.

He has been running for the past couple of years and has completed in the Boston Marathon back in April and our local marathon the first week in May.

Hubby is very slender, weighs 132 and is about 5'7". He eats very healthy but is really small.

He has been doing a lot of business and has had at least one alcoholic beverage at night with his meals for probably about 10 nights out of 14 nights.

How would you look at this? Is the endurolytes something he shouldn't be taken?

He used to drink Gatorade and never had this problem before but since he has switched to the Endurolytes, (which has a lot of chelates in it according to the label on the bottle), would this have anything to do with it?

Any response or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

b

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...