Skip navigation

5248 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2008 3:52 PM by Darrel Glover
SS4life09 Amateur 14 posts since
Apr 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2008 8:57 AM

What do you think is the most difficult position to play?

I think a lot of people would argue the pitcher because they are involved/initiate every play.

However, I think a very strong case can be made for the catcher.  The catcher is also involved in every pitch--in fact, they are calling every pitch. They control the game and can see the entire field, often times directing his teammates as a result.

I've been an infielder my whole life, so I think there is somethig to be said for those positions--namely on the left side of the field. When I think of the best highlights and most difficult plays I've ever seen, shortstop and third base come to mind.

What do you think?

• adam_sp SportsPowerStaff 95 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007

There is no doubt that its the catcher. Here's an analogy for you. The

catcher makes the calls behind the plate and serves as the "director"

of the entire production. The pitcher serves as the "actor", but

without the director behind the scenes making all of the crucial calls

-- the production fails. And often times, like movies, the catcher

still fails at making all of the calls. He is involved in each and

every pitch. Meanwhile, an outfielder or first or second baseman doesn't come

close to being that involved and integral towards the outcome of the

game.

• BurghBall Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 16, 2008

Having two daughters that are pitchers, I'd say that pitching is the hardest to learn and perfect. It also takes the most daily training and discipline. But having a daughter who was a catcher gave me great respect for the difficulty of that position.  Even a bad pitcher can toss the ball in there and let it put into play, and then it's up to the fielders to make the out.  But I've seen many a great pitcher be handicapped by a catcher who doesn't control the game, lets balls get past, and can't pick anyone off on the bases. That being said, I have to give a vote to the outfielders. A lot of girls get tired of standing in the outfield waiting for that long ball, but when are called to task, they make amazing catches and sometimes double up on the baserunner. When I played, I had the toughest time at first base. 

So in short, my answer is... I refrain from answering.   

• SportsGrl21 Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008

I would say pitching is by far the hardest position. Although I agree with you on many points you made about catchers, I still think pitching requires the most discipline and technique.  I would argue that it would be much harder to teach a catcher to be a decent pitcher than for a pitcher to become a decent catcher. There is just something special about pitchers that not everyone has. 

Every position is difficult and deserves a great deal of respect, but my vote goes with the pitchers. 

• ozarkaj Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008

The catcher is controlling the game, the captain of the field, and quarter-backing every play.

Catcher without a doubt in my mind (I am a little biased, I've always been a catcher primarily).

• RSfalcon77 Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008

I just read these words that a St. Louis Cardinal fan wrote into Yahoo Sports columnist Jeff Passan--who voted shortstop as the most difficult position:

"Do you really think that shortstop is the most demanding position? Seriously? Have you ever sat behind the plate and caught a game? Not only do catchers have to call a game, direct the infield and keep baserunners honest, they have to do it in a crouch, all game. Catchers have to remember scouting reports, work with the pitching staff, keep themselves as healthy as possible and, oh, yeah, try to make time for batting practice."

• I would have to agree that the catcher has the most challenging position in softball.  Even though my daughter is not a catcher, she was chosen by her coaches because she is the most versatile player on the team (she usually plays 1st or 3rd).  She doesn't like it, but she does to benefit the team.  She is up and down after every pitch.  She is throwing off her face mask on passed balls.  She is throwing hard to 2nd on a steal and gets frustrated because our 2nd baseman never catches her throws.  It's been a challenging season for her, but it's almost over.

• Jeanne Lynam Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008

At a game the other day I was very focused on the catcher since it was a friend of mine's daughter. It made me realize how tough that position is.  She's also one of the better batters on the team also, which makes her efforts that much harder.  My vote is for the catcher!

• NKOTB Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008

My vote is for the pitcher. They are front and center on every play and have the most pressure of any position.

• David__327 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Catcher NO QUESTION

• PITCHER  IF THEY CAN "BRING IT" AND WORK "HARD"

• in all the years i played myself i thought second base was the toughest. the catcher doesnt call anything any more those signals are all done from the coaches. the toughest thing is for the second baseman, to read bunt and cover first , or hit and cover second. also to be there on a pick off at first either to catch the pick off or to back it up.she is also the cut off from the out field. again just an opinion.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points