Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1173 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2008 8:46 AM by LMB22 RSS
jessep28 Rookie 5 posts since
Oct 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2008 1:11 PM

Treadmill Boredom

I am trying to get back into running/working out after a 2 year hiatus. I'm not overweight, but am in the upper normal range and could stand to lose 3-5 pounds. This is attributable to finishing college and now sitting in a cube for 8-10 hrs a day.

My question is this: A battle I always fight is that I suffer from boredom while running on a treadmill. This is even with music on the iPod and/or watching the televisions at the gym. I find myself starting at the clock waiting for my allotted time to end so I can do something more interesting & challenging (e.g., lifting weights).

Running outside does help, but I am on the early stages of the c25k program (Week 3) which is more reliant on time, so I prefer to use a treadmill. I should be able to hit the track in week 4 until it starts to get really cold here in Nebraska.

Does anyone have advice to combat this in the meantime?

Thanks,

Jesse

• Apocalypte Rookie 61 posts since
    Aug 4, 2008
    1. Oct 7, 2008 1:57 PM (in response to jessep28)
    Re: Treadmill Boredom

Download one of the podcasts and run outside. The Ullreys podcast has the intervals called out for you, so it's easier to know when to run and walk.

And I share your opinion of the treadmill, running on one makes me want to shoot myself with boredom!

My couch - 15 Jul 2008

Dublin Marathon - 26 October 2009

• LMB22 Rookie 20 posts since
    May 11, 2008
    2. Oct 8, 2008 4:30 PM (in response to jessep28)

I have a treadmill - but - honestly - I dread having to get on it this winter. 

I do prefer to run outside - I suppose that has to do mostly with the fact that there are no boundries, and you're actually going somewhere - and I love to listen to my favorite tunes on my iPod.

I've never used the ipod on the TM, but watch TV to cut into the boredom.  I have no idea what else to do - I tried talking on the phone, but in all reality, you can only do that if you're walking on the treadmill, not running.

Since it get's cold here in MI - I'll have to use it at some point - (I figure 25* and below), but i will most likely run outside for as long as I can, with many layers - and a smile with the thought that summer is gonna be just around the corner!  : ) 

Good Luck!

Lynn

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    3. Oct 8, 2008 4:58 PM (in response to jessep28)

shameless drooling over the hot guy / girl working out in front of the treadmill

I like to people watch - sometimes it`s just a case of watching the hot guys  - but I often just watch other people`s workouts and get ideas for my own

Or I get the treadmill in front of the mirror and watch my gait - focus on soft landings - think about my upper body form relaxing my shoulders. Use the treadmill time to really work on your form - it will set you up well for the rest of the program

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• DonaldG Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 8, 2008
    4. Oct 9, 2008 7:44 AM (in response to jessep28)

I feel your pain concerning boredom on a treadmill!

I live in Nairobi, Kenya and the treadmill is my best option for most of the week.  It's a pretty old one and it faces a mirror (ugh!) which makes even a quick 15 minute jaunt an eternity.

The only way I can stomach it is to do a type of fartlek or hills workout by changing the speed and/or elevation every few minutes.  I don't think I can manage a steady-paced 20+ run on the thing!

Donald

-

+++++++++++++++++++++++

My NEW Blog on Kenyan Running:

http://kenyanfinishline.blogspot.com/

• teri dacto Pro 177 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    5. Oct 10, 2008 4:16 AM (in response to jessep28)

Jesse,

I do a lot of running on the treadmill...this summer I ventured outside.  I have a couple of suggestions that might help with the running on treadmill...I know how cold it can get in Nebraska (lived in WY for many years).

I subscribe to netflix....they have lots of tv series (and movies too, obviously).  Find something you really like and watch that while running.  I remember years ago watching Sex in the City episodes while on the treadmill and it helped tremendously.  One other thing I do is place a towel over the monitor so I won't constantly stare at it....I noticed I did it quite a bit when I first started but part of it is mental training...telling yourself you don't need to keep looking and telling yourself it's an easy run and you could go further if necessary.  When running think about your form, it can distract you from the monotany.  Of course you can listen to your iPod, that kind of thing but I found I have started to enjoy running without it.  (which helps since most races don't want you to wear them).  Good luck.

Teri

• LMB22 Rookie 20 posts since
    May 11, 2008
    6. Oct 11, 2008 8:46 AM (in response to teri dacto)

I had a great idea while reading these reponses . . .

this is truely one application where a set of VIRTUAL Image glasses would come in handy!

- you could imagine running with(or behind) a HOTTIE - on a beach or thru the woods or whatever, huh!  hmmmmm better get on the pattent for these . . . .

lynn

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...