Skip navigation

2306 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 30, 2007 2:43 PM by yo-sal RSS
wildminddesign9234 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 2, 2007 10:43 AM

How much electrolytes, potassium, magnesium for marathon?

I want to know the right amount of potassium, magnesium, electrolytes. How many milligrams does a 130 pound women age 35 need for long runs. I've been drinking 1 Emergen C everyday, then before a run 26oz Smartwater, during run I drink about 26 oz Shaklee Performance with some sports bean or sharks. Is this too much, will I don,t throw my body chemistries off. Boston marathon coming soon help!

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

this is sort of an unanswerable question from this distance. Potassium, magnesium are electrolytes, as are sodium and other ions in your blood.

How much you need depends on how much you lose, and that depends on how heavy of a sweater you are. If you can feel a grittiness to your skin after the sweat dries, or if there's white streaks on your clothes, you're one of those people that dogs like to lick - salty.

you also lose electrolytes in your urine and feces, and some slough off on rafts of dead skin that we shed as we run.

Why look for magic from a drink or bean? Are you amenable to trusting a healthy diet?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...