Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2760 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2008 8:28 AM by lenzlaw RSS
alexvanv Rookie 6 posts since
Oct 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2008 7:41 AM

8 years old - 1st 5k

My name is Alex and I ran my first 5k this past saturday.  My final time was 23:42!  I really want to keep running, but my mom is not a runner, she is a swimmer, and she is worried about me burning out.  If I want to keep running 5ks what should my mom and I do?

• brittinaxel Expert 49 posts since
    Aug 13, 2008
    1. Oct 14, 2008 8:41 AM (in response to alexvanv)
    Re: 8 years old - 1st 5k

First of all, Wow Great Job!!!!! I'm not sure of  your biking or swimming ability, but you could maybe try a triathalon??? I would say don't give up on running and don't over do it then you should be fine.

B.A.R.

"One day of Pain is worth the rest in Pride"
  • btraber Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    2. Oct 14, 2008 10:39 AM (in response to alexvanv)

Awesome job!!!! If you want to keep running, and I assume you're in a school that doesn't have a track team yet, ask your mom to make an appointment with the track coach at the local high school and get his/her input and also pay a visit to your doctor. Between them, they can probably come up with a great plan to help you keep running without getting burnt out or overuse injuries. Good luck to you and I hope you are able to keep running!!!

• Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    3. Oct 16, 2008 7:57 AM (in response to alexvanv)

Hi Alex!

First- please tell me that your mom is with you on this Board.  Second- Congratulations on your run!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 16, 2008 8:28 AM (in response to alexvanv)

Congratulations on your race Alex.  I encourage you to stay physically active and running is one way to do that.  At your age though, there are physiological issues with doing a lot of running, because your body is still growing.  You and your mom should discuss these issues with your doctor to come up with a good plan for your running that will also avoid injury.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...