Skip navigation

2624 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2007 5:46 AM by DaveVause RSS
rahim55@Homtail.com Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2007 12:40 PM

Sport Drink vs. Water and Gu

Which is the better route to go for during Marathons?  I heard that Sport Drinks with Gu is a no no.

• etknowles Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 1, 2007 6:22 PM (in response to rahim55@Homtail.com)
    Re: Sport Drink vs. Water and Gu

If you have a sport drink and a gel, if your stomach draws out the water you get left with a concentrated sludge of flavor glop.  I can tell you from personal experience IT IS THE WORST!!!!!!  It can make the 24 hour flu be like a walk in the park.

You need the carbs, etc. for the long run.  Use the Gel and stoke up on the water.  Have the recovery drinks ready when you are done. If you like the sport drink, use one designed for athletes, not the convenience store.  Accerelade is pretty good.

Good Luck,

EK

• irungrl Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    2. Mar 8, 2007 8:47 PM (in response to rahim55@Homtail.com)

I agree that GU plus a sports drink = a gut bomb! I do use GU and sports drink during a marathon, but NEVER at the same time. I have water at the station before and after I GU and wash down my GU with water only. Train with GU and see what you think. The very diluted sports drinks on a race course are not concentrated enough to give me what I need on race day thus, I tend to get more out of GU. Hope this helps good luck at Boston!!

Happy running.

• pcwalker Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 10, 2007 4:44 AM (in response to rahim55@Homtail.com)

The combination of GU and sports drink doesn't usually agree with most people. Plus it provides more carbs than you really need at one time.

Some people like to alternate the two. Always try it in training first.

My preference is GU and plain water. If it is really hot I also use electrolyte capsules. PC

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 22, 2007 5:46 AM (in response to rahim55@Homtail.com)

Everyone's different, you need to do a bit of personal experimentation.  But I agree with consensus: sportdrink andGu is way too much. 

During runs > 15 miles, I do gel and water.  Gatorade before and after.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...