Skip navigation

6518 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2008 5:53 PM by JeffreyAlan RSS 1 2 Previous Next
SRQ Runner Rookie 5 posts since
May 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2008 7:09 PM

Mountain Blast - Powerade

Mountain Blast is the chosen flavor for this race and if you haven't tried it yet you better. I had my first bottle today and its going to take some time to get used to this. It was difficult enough just sipping some around the office but the thought of drinking this while running is a challange. I'm sure after a few more bottles I'll get used to it but this drink is too sweet and flavorful for a marathon drink.

Nothing against Powerade but this flavor would not get my vote.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    1. Oct 15, 2008 7:21 PM (in response to SRQ Runner)
    Re: Mountain Blast - Powerade

If it's like most races, they'll have it so watered down, it won't be a problem.  They had the Gatorade so watered-down at the half-marathon I ran last weekend, they were calling it Water-ade.

It won't be as strong as it is out of the bottle, for sure.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    2. Oct 15, 2008 7:34 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Compared to Fruit Punch/Red Powerade, the Smurf Juice actually seems to get more drinkable after 15-16 miles.  MCM personnel are very much aware of the risks of water intoxication/hyponatremia.  It would not surprise me if they actually salted it just a little compared to the standard mix..........

• RunningPT12 Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    3. Oct 15, 2008 7:42 PM (in response to SRQ Runner)

I've used Powerade MB in my Camelbak in the past - not my favorite, but tolerable. My gripe with both Powerade and Gatorade (whether the regular variety or the Endurance Formula) is the acidic taste to them - it tends to eat at my gut a bit. Something to take a few Tums for before the race - apparently Frank Shorter had troubles in his career with acid stomachs during long runs and used to do the same. It'd be great if these races would use Cytomax or something, but we all have our favorites.

I assume from from your list name that you're from Sarasota - I lived there for 18 years until moving last year to SC. Hope you're enjoying the weather. 

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    5. Oct 15, 2008 8:12 PM (in response to SRQ Runner)

SRQ: Any races the week before Christmas?  I"ll be in Ft. Myers.  Looking for a run.  Also playing baseball in Bradenton (Pirates facility) 10 days after the MCM.

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Oct 16, 2008 7:43 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

A few pretzels on the run really helps absorb the powerade & settle the stomach. At least for me it does.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • RunningPT12 Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    7. Oct 16, 2008 8:27 AM (in response to SRQ Runner)

Talk about small-world stuff  - I moved to Greenville from Sarasota. There's a lot of Florida ex-pats in our neighborhood, including another family from Sarasota about 3 houses up from ours. Go figure...

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    8. Oct 16, 2008 8:54 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Immer treu wrote:

....Smurf Juice .........

The Blue kind was never my favorite, now I know why...

Gatorade/Powerade tastes very different to me when I'm not running. Maybe when I'm running my body is just saying "Carbs and water - good!"  I also find that oranges never taste as sweet as those you eat when running.

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    9. Oct 16, 2008 10:08 AM (in response to SRQ Runner)

I'm a fruitcake I like it. Thats what they had at Richmond last year.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • VARunnerGirl Pro 158 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    10. Oct 16, 2008 10:33 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

I like how it makes my tongue turn blue    I guess I will have to wear a blue shirt just in case I spill it since I am not that graceful at water stops.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Oct 16, 2008 10:39 AM (in response to VARunnerGirl)

I've been training with it all summer and I have to say it's mmm mmm good!  But whatever you do, don't try the zero calorie stuff.  I'm not at all picky, but I hated this stuff.  By the end of my run, it was just a big foamy mess in my water bottle.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    12. Oct 16, 2008 10:48 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)
    Myblueeyedgurl wrote:

I'm a fruitcake I like it. Thats what they had at Richmond last year.

Really?  I missed that!  I know they had it at the MCM half. . .  in the spirit of "Blue & Gray" . . .  along with the blue sports beans (yuck!)

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Oct 16, 2008 10:49 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Cr@p . . . now I know why I missed it at Richmond. . .  I didn't take anything!  It was an 8k!!!

LOL!

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    14. Oct 16, 2008 10:51 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Yep, when we got done running you said you didn't like it.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...