Skip navigation

5293 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2008 7:16 AM by cplmtz0121 1 2 Previous Next
cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2008 2:02 PM

Ohhh Me!! Me!!!

I just got something really quick to say.  Yesterday, this fitness guy gave a little presentation here at work about staying fit and eating properly and stuff like that you know?  So after he talked for a little bit, he opened up the floor for questions and I can't remember cause I lost him after his answer.  But somehow somebody asked him about running vs swimming and he said he preferred swimming because it was easier on the joints.  He proceeded to say "I just like swimming better because I've seen a lot of old swimmers in really good shape.  But have you ever seen an old runner in good shape?"  He obviously has never been around runners I thought. 

What do you guys think?

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    1. Oct 16, 2008 2:11 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)
    Re: Ohhh Me!! Me!!!

Nope. I would say not.  And the only old swimmers i saw at my old gym were in rehab for hip replacement. LOL. I like both sports. I lie, I love swimming and I love finishing races. But both will keep you fit and healthy.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    2. Oct 16, 2008 2:14 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I've seen some amazingly fit old runners at races.  Maybe he should show up at a few races and look around.  That annoys me.  Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm addicted to running and can't swim, but I think he's full of sh!t.  I would have had a hard time keeping my mouth shut.  But then that's usually the case...

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 16, 2008 2:16 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I refer you back to that 20 some year study they just released (discussed here in another thread a while ago). I don't know about swimmers, but running is good for your health.

Len

• VARunnerGirl Pro 158 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    4. Oct 16, 2008 2:17 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I think you shoud have walked up to him and slapped him in the face because clearly he is out of his mind.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Oct 16, 2008 2:20 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I've seen a lot of older runners who are in great shape.  But I must admit, I don't know too many swimmers.  I'm biased towards runners.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

Nov 19, 2007
    6. Oct 16, 2008 2:22 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita? I thought you had a pool?

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
    Aug 21, 2007
    7. Oct 16, 2008 2:27 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Myblueeyedgurl wrote:

Nita? I thought you had a pool?

Yeah, and it's great for floating around in when it gets hot after sunbathing for an hour

I can swim to stay alive, can swim underwater, dog paddle, backstroke, etc., but I can't swim on top and breathe to the side and all that Re: Ohhh Me!! Me!!!.  Like a real swimmer.  The pool is for cooling off, not swimming.

Nov 19, 2007
    8. Oct 16, 2008 2:28 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

OK! I was like I swear I've heard you tlak about jumping in the pool before. LOL

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    9. Oct 16, 2008 2:42 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

There may be any number of biases.  If he's a gym dude, he probably sees the clientele there.  Folks who consider themselves out of shape often find it easier to run where they are instead of feeling embarrassed in a "meat market "  /crowded pool, and are less likely to swim at all.   Swimming can be easier on DAMAGED joints, but offers much less benefit in osteoporosis prevention and is not clearly better than running for keeping joints healthy.   A trip to most running events could be an eye opener if he's just ignorant and not biased.  Ask him what "old" is, too; maybe a few of us geezers could take him for a little romp........

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    10. Oct 16, 2008 3:22 PM (in response to Immer treu)

Now wouldn't we like to take him on a little romp.  I have done a lot of swimming, but still like running better and it's better for the bones, especially when you get a tad older.  Let's just go and kick his a$$ a bit.

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    11. Oct 16, 2008 4:41 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Of course "old" swimmers are in good shape. So are "old" runners or they wouldn't be runners!!

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    12. Oct 16, 2008 4:47 PM (in response to FLKaren)

Both are great forms of exercise.  I for one do not get too offended when swimmers tout their sports' benefits over those offered by running.  Of all things out there these two are far better then the others.  I love running because you get to see things you would otherwise miss.  pluss you can run anywhere but you definately can not swim anywhere.  Running is also a much friendlier sport in my experience.

I would have called the dude on it to try and sell my sport.  I know that running gets a bad rap from all that do not do it.  I treat those people like people who hate Texas.  They are simply people who will keep my life from becoming congested.  One less bitter person I will have to put up with in my future.

|

This place is like home!!!!

• RunningPT12 Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    13. Oct 16, 2008 5:17 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Wow, now there's an interesting clinical question. Both activities aren't the most rounded (in terms of overall fitness), but to say that swimming is easier on the joints is a misnomer, for a few reasons:

1. Weightbearing is important, both for bone (think osteoporosis prevention) and joint health. Essentially, joints rely on intermittent compression/decompression and simultaneous gliding to "feed" them or supply their nutrition. This occurs by compressing the synovial fluid (the lubricant that is secreted by the soft tissue lining all joints) directly into the cartilage surface. Cartilage doesn't have a blood supply that feeds it - it gets nutrition via the above mechanism. Swimming doesn't provide the same compression into the large joints like the hip, knee or ankles that walking or running do.

2. Swimming has its own set of issues with injuries - both shoulder and spinal, due to the large arcs of motion for the various strokes. Large arc motions without enough muscular endurance/stability in the supportive muscles (in the case of the shoulder, the rotator cuff musculature, the serratus, mid and lower traps, lats) end up causing tendinous injuries as well as (down the road) arthritic injuries. In terms of spinal problems, the worst combination is to have someone with a low back or thoracic injury with inadequate trunk stability/muscular control and endurance to use swimming as an exercise - its a bit like having the tail wag the dog.

Both activities are fitness activities that will provide cardiovascular fitness, and both require supplementation to balance them out. In the case of swimming, however, it takes a bit more work to balance out the program - you have to do both preventative exercise (for shoulders, hips and trunk) as well as a prolonged weightbearing program (walking or running) to provide for joint/cartilage health.

The idea that long term running is unhealthy for joints just hasn't been proven out by the literature, but the opposite has. If someone wants a layman's article on this, look at this article from Running Times:

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=3858

Don't even get me started on cycling... similar weightbearing issues, plus the tendency to overstress the thoracic spine (if you've ever met a pro cyclist like Tyler Hamilton and seen his posture, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about) and the tendency to work the hip through a very short range of motion that causes other muscular imbalances like tight hip flexors. Of the three, with proper running form and no preexisting injuries that have already caused ligament or cartilage damage to the hip, knee or ankle, running is probably the healthiest of the three.

Sorry to bore you all with this, but questions like this bring out the PT part in me....

Aug 21, 2007
    14. Oct 16, 2008 5:21 PM (in response to RunningPT12)

I love free education!  Thanks PT!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...