Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2937 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2008 5:53 PM by meg5235 RSS
La M2 Amateur 18 posts since
Oct 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2008 8:04 AM

Need recovery advice

ok folks. I need some guidance on RECOVERY. did my first marathon on Sunday and now I'm wasted. Tried to run a mile easy last night, 1/2 walk 1/2 jog and it wore me out. what kind of regimen would you suggest for getting back in the swing?

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 15, 2008 11:16 AM (in response to La M2)
    Re: Need recovery advice

I'm right there with you as I finished the Baltimore Marathon on Saturday.  I usually stick to cross-training for the first few days as a way to avoid impact.  I did an easy bike spin the day after the race and the past few days I have been on an elliptical machine.  I may try a short run tomorrow depending on how my blisters are doing.  I will gradually work runs back into my exercise routine over the next few weeks and will essentially go with the reversed taper model of slowly rebuilding mileage.  I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any more questions or comments.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• ToddHastings Amateur 33 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 15, 2008 12:29 PM (in response to La M2)

First I would like to say congrats on completing your first marathon. But taking it easy on your musles right now are key Just like Sivo said find something ight and then buildup to jogging and running. I like the elictiple machine and the ike low impact and get your heart rate up. One gain congrats

Look back for a SECOND, and that's where you'll FINISH.
  • DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 15, 2008 1:40 PM (in response to La M2)

All I can tell you is this: I tried to follow other's advice on "a light mile or two on monday is essential after a marathon."  Huh, I barely made it half a mile. I laid up for a week or so and got back into some light  running a week or so after that. Why put yourself through more pain when what your muscles and joints need is rest?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 15, 2008 5:02 PM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

The basic rule is no hard workouts for 1 day per mile, that is, 26 days.  That doesn't tell you what to do the first few days.  Most people take at least two or three days and some four or five, with no running.  Do cross-training or walk as your body allows.  One thing I recommend is to walk a slow mile or two after the race.  If you can't do it the same day do it the day after.  Whatever you do, stay away from long/fast/hard for three weeks.

Len

Len

• meg5235 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 17, 2008
    5. Oct 16, 2008 5:53 PM (in response to La M2)

Congratulations!  I also completed my first marathon on Sunday in Chicago.  The second I finished the race, I thought I would never do that again.  But, by day 3 I was already trying to figure out when my next one will be.  I think I may be addicted!

My muscles were very, very sore the first two days, but Ibuprofen seemed to help a little.  The best thing I did though was get a sports massage on Tuesday.  It was a little painful, but I felt like I could jump off that table and start running again. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...