Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5565 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2008 9:25 AM by Active Toby RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Johnny North Amateur 12 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2008 7:30 PM

Whats up?

Hey everyone, this is Cippy Cup.  Its been such a long time since I have posted in here.  If anyone has been here for a long time than they prolly remember me.  I was just wondering how everyone is?  Do yall like it here?

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    1. Oct 14, 2008 5:52 AM (in response to Johnny North)
    Re: Whats up?

Hey Cippy. This forum is pretty dead still. Maybe we should try and revive it again. How's your running going?

Sep 26, 2005
    3. Oct 14, 2008 6:10 PM (in response to Johnny North)

Oh nice:) What kind of times are you running these days?

I'm not really improving as much as I'd like to, and am struggling with injury at the moment, so running's not going that great. Getting into cycling though:) I'm sure crazy would be proud:P

Sep 26, 2005
    5. Oct 16, 2008 7:06 AM (in response to Johnny North)

Wow nice! What's your progression been? I seem to remember you running in the 17s when the forum was a living beast?

Yeah you should shoot him an email. I think we need to have a CR reunion:) I have alexanderthegr8's email somewhere..

Well I'm not really riding competitively or anything, I don't even have a road bike, just a mountain bike that I made semi-suitable for riding on the roads with. I just really like doing super long rides. I've got a 210k race this Sunday, that should be good:)

Re the cross trainer: it's worth it in the sense that you can only do so much running before you get injured and a cross trainer allows you to get a bit more in (and cop out when it's raining if you don't have a treadmill). But the link between bike fitness and running fitness is fairly indirect. I think it helps, but you have to spend a lot more time to get the equivalent workout. I've got one in my garage and I've found it a huge help this year because it saves time and uses different muscle groups, so I can maintain fitness when I'm injured.

• beanpole Legend 245 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Oct 16, 2008 8:06 AM (in response to bruncle)

I WAS running amazingly. but just recently broke my 1st metatarsal

Sep 26, 2005
    7. Oct 16, 2008 5:24 PM (in response to beanpole)

Owch, that sucks:( How long is it going to take to heal?

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Oct 16, 2008 6:00 PM (in response to Johnny North)

i have 4 more weeks of the predicted 6 it would take to heal if i was perfect. did i ever mention how much stationary bikes SUCK? but anyways, not running is killing me and im gonna be totally offbalance from hopping around on one foot but WHATEVER you say life gives you lemons you make lemonade no matter how sour it might be. how about you guys? actually you guys biking much? know any awesome intervals i could do or other workouts i could fit in?

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Oct 16, 2008 6:32 PM (in response to Johnny North)

also when life gives you lemons you make TEQUILA but i dont have any tequila lol. some workouts would be AMAZING if you dont mind

i broke my first metatarsal playing socceer when me and another girls foot collided and i wasnt wearing proper shoes. ive got 4 weeks left of my 'probation' and can only weight bear on my heel at the moment. i was a super athletic female who has time for about 2 hrs of workout time a day, which is usually done in two sessions. i just need a cardio workout on the bike right now since i cant swim yet. currently ive been biking for an hour- 2hrs a day while watching dvds and im getting pretty bored with it. last time i was off i did an interval workout where i warmed up for 15 mins then went hard for 1 min, then 2, all the way to 5 and back down with 2 min  rbi. im contemplating doing that again. my goal while injured is to stay same weight and possibly keep some of my sanity lol

thanks for anything you can manage to come up with

(ps sorry for lack of capitals and grammar i forgot you guys on this forum hated that stuff)

Sep 26, 2005
    13. Oct 16, 2008 7:15 PM (in response to beanpole)

Have you tried 'Spinervals'? It's a DVD series with some killer workouts for stationary biking. Haven't tried it myself, but I've heard it's good. Personally I've never had a problem with boredom on the cross trainer (mine has arm pusher handle things as well as pedals). I just crank up the headphones and go hard enough to work up a sweat.

The other thing I've recently gotten into is pushups. Join the hundred pushups challenge!

Dec 14, 2007
    14. Oct 17, 2008 4:46 AM (in response to bruncle)

THANKS! I was on a strength training plan in my fitness class, but when I broke my foot I've just been doing all core and some leg lifts and stretching in that class.  I gave up on arms because all my classes are on third floor and after that class I have to hop all those stairs and my arms give out if they are already exhausted. I like how you gave exercises to simulate running I'll try those no matter how ridiculous I may look, I already get weird looks cause I still work out with a broken foot. I can't ride outside because of the weather and I'm honestly afraid I'll fall off and rebrake my foot even though that's unlikely. I"ll look into the spinervals, but possibly only near the end of my sentence in this boot since right now I can only put pressure on the heal. That pushup thing looks interesting, it's six weeks long maybe I can incorporate that some how. Thanks guys, it's not too much at all.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points