Skip navigation

5689 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2008 3:50 PM by FormerBAM RSS 1 2 Previous Next
RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2008 6:41 AM

I'm feeling unusually calm

unlike the past couple years.  I'm so mellow and blahh.  I haven't had a cup of coffee in 6 months, and I can definitely tell the difference.  I'm not running around all afflicted with taper madness, etc. etc.  But it would be nice to feel at least a little bit like Christine right now.   

p.s. Christine step away from the coffee pot.  You are too cute!

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• VARunnerGirl Pro 158 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    1. Oct 17, 2008 6:45 AM (in response to RubyBPG)
    Re: I'm feeling unusually calm

I think it is because I am freaked out enough for the both of us.

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    3. Oct 17, 2008 6:51 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby, I am soooooooooooooo with you! I remember last year it was so exciting and I couldn't stop thinking about it and now I'm just like "Oh right, that's next weekend." I think I'll be excited once I'm at DC and the Expo. I'm really excited about seeing everyone again this year and meeting those I have yet to meet. I think my problem is that with the race, I know I'll finish. Barring injury or Chicago weather or something crazy, I'm fairly certain I'll PR, and do so by a comfortable margain. Even if I run my training run pace for the marathon, I'll still PR by 20 minutes! Which is an incredible thing, but kind of sets up an anti-climactic event.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    4. Oct 17, 2008 7:02 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

The eye of the storm is calm.

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    5. Oct 17, 2008 7:35 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Hey,  I found a new song that motivates me to run.  Well, I've heard it before but lately it's helped get me pumped up before my runs since I don't listen to music while I run.  It's Queen's "Don't Stop me Now"

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Oct 17, 2008 8:10 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Hey Ruby, they're reducing the number of porta-johns at the start area. . .

Just doing my part. 

It's not actually true.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • David Hopper Legend 286 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    7. Oct 17, 2008 9:05 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Inwardly I feel the same way even though this is my first full marathon. But then again my psychologist said I can only get the stuff he prescribed me this one time.   I don't even count how many times I wake up in a cold sweat screaming these aren't my running shoes anymore. I'm fine, really I am.

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Oct 17, 2008 9:08 AM (in response to David Hopper)

I wish you all would just CALM DOWN!.  You're making me nervous.

Len

• David Hopper Legend 286 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    9. Oct 17, 2008 9:17 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len

I'm volunteering at the Columbus Running Company's water table at mile 9 of the Columbus Marathon this Sunday. They say they're going to chain me to a tree so I can't take off running when the runners come past. I'm helping pass out race packets Saturday at the Expo. It's all about therapy, I'm calm, really I am.

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
  • MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    10. Oct 17, 2008 9:24 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat,

I know what you mean about having the confidence of breaking a PR by a lot, but every minute counts!   At last year's MCM I broke my PR by about 25 minutes, but fell 50 seconds short of my real goal. 

I'd pick a fairly ambitious goal and shoot for that pace, and if it doesn't happen on race day, you'll still have a new PR.  Whatever your new PR is, you'll be living with it for a while (I assume Antarctica is a tough place to PR!), and I think to some, possibly over-inflated extent, runners identify themselves by what they run.  We can't help but throw on that identifying label of being a "sub 5 hour marathoner" now or whatever. 

So go out there and SHATTER that PR!!!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    11. Oct 17, 2008 9:31 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

The closer it gets the calmer I am feeling.  I know I'm ready for this, and even if I'm not...my main goal is just to finish so as long as I cross that finish line, I'll be estatic! Plus, that means for my 2nd marathon I'll be able to shatter whatever time I get at the MCM!

• Christine13093 Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008
    12. Oct 17, 2008 9:54 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

p.s. Christine step away from the coffee pot. You are too cute

Ruby - believe it or not...I don't drink coffee...It's just all natural!  I do get on people's nerves with my excitement so I'm trying to turn it down or I'll be down right exhausted by next weekend! 

Went out and did 2 miles in the rain...just because I could!!!

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    13. Oct 17, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

Thanks Ron. I do have a bigger goal but maybe I'm not excited about the race because I'm nervous about not running up to my potential. I've had such a strong season I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop so I'm just telling myself I'll be happy with the experience and safe PR rather than being disappointed if I fall short. The therapist in me is reading this and shaking her head. Thanks for kicking me in the @ss.

I did, btw, just have a lovely four mile run with Chris. It is the perfect crisp fall day and we chatted most of the way, except for the 250 foot climb He's starting to think about his Antarctica training and I'm thrilled that we're going to be running together more!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• MariahAU Legend 227 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    14. Oct 17, 2008 10:07 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

funny about the talk of the "johns" I was just thinking that... they were going to take all the porti potties away and I was going to be standing there begging to borrow someone's shirt so I could use the bathroom. I am pretty calm, knowing that I have trained more seriously and seem to be able to run faster for longer. I want my 430.

My BF wanted me to come visit him this weekend, and I had to explain that I was scared of getting sick (he has been coughing) and would have to see him after the marathon. He didnt quite understand. I told him unless ALL of my ducks are in a row I will not run the race I want... (feelin/lookin good in 430) which would make for a upset Mariah, and who wants that.

My mom has also started to coach me on staying calm on Saturday. The flights were expensive friday so I am flying out Saturday morning. I am worried of anything going wrong and over-reacting..  which I tend to do when I am super excited/stressed.. about to run a marathon.

OK so I am not really calm, but super excited!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...