Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2547 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2008 10:13 AM by Dre Day RSS 1 2 Previous Next
christine94 Expert 56 posts since
Sep 23, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2008 7:35 AM

Hello

HI there!

I am new to this board and am enjoying reading all the advice everyone has and reading how you all are doing for your trianing and upcoming races/events.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Christine

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Oct 17, 2008 12:13 PM (in response to christine94)
    Re: Hello

Hi Christine,

Welcome aboard and glad you could join us

Tell us alittle about yourself

How long youve been running?

what your training for?

anything your willing to share about our sport

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

Dec 10, 2007
    3. Oct 17, 2008 2:22 PM (in response to christine94)

Christine,

It's great you are challenging yourself and willing to extend your distance in your training. Im currently in Taperville (word for light training before a race) waiting for my first full marathon race on Oct 26th. I have trained for over 2 years for this run. Over this time I have run 5ks, 10ks, 15ks, a 30k and 3 half marathons.  I was not a runner really over my life but have really enjoyed it over the last 2 years. I left high school a while ago too!

tips are always good.....

My tip to share:  Pay attention to what your body is says, it will tell you everything you need to know!

Keep us upto date on your progress Good or bad!

Dec 10, 2007
    5. Oct 18, 2008 5:34 AM (in response to christine94)

Christine goodluck on Sunday run!

Thank you also

I know how you feel and the adjusting to the weather, living here in Michigan the weather can get quite cold, which i really like! During the summer It was hard for me to train even though it really wasnt that hot this year, but I made it through and you can too.

They really call it Taper running, but in the Marine Marathon forum on Active they call it tapervile, cause most of the people there run multiple Marathons a year.

Taperville is just the last couple of weeks (depends on your training plan how many weeks) it cuts your running down roughly 50 to 70 percent to help rebuild and recover before the big one. Its nice to only have to run 18 miles in a week instead of 40 week a and  the this coming week I only 10 but run 26.2 next sunday.

Let us know how it goes on Sunday......

Dec 10, 2007
    7. Oct 19, 2008 9:20 AM (in response to christine94)

Christine,

Have you run yet? I'm sure it went great. As for me Im off today and I did run yesterday morning. I put in my last long run of 8 1/2 miles and it felt very good but it was pretty cool yesterday morning, I think aroiund 40 degrees.  I only have 3 for tomorrow, 4 on wednesday and 3 on friday.

I completely agree with you on spring and fall, the cooler weather does wonders for me. I also enjoy running early in the morning. Im up around 4:30 to 4:45 and out the door by 5:00am. During the week before work I put in 6 1/2 miles and my long runs are always on Saturday so I can rest and recover afterward.

I really wenjoy the morning because I can get it done and not have to worry about running after work. Thetime to run isnt for everyone that is for sure, plus very few people or cars on the road at this time too. I live ina semi rural area so I run dirt roads mostly when I train, but I have trained in the City years ago, and like it much better where im at now.

I havent ran any forest races yet, but i did run through heck ( you know the word for down there where the devil is it gets filtered) there is a town called that here and they have a 10 miler every yea, have a shirt to prove it too!

keep up the great time on your miles and it always depends on how you feel when it comes to your time.

Just remember stay injury free.....

Dennis

Dec 10, 2007
    10. Oct 28, 2008 6:43 PM (in response to christine94)

Thats Awesome!!!!!!! CONGRATS TO YOU!!!

I have a update to, i just got home yesterday from DC. I ran my first marathon on Sunday and it was AWESOME (for the lack of a better word)!! i finished in 3:58:58, right at my goal under 4 hours. Im looking forward to my next one most likely in the spring time.......

Keep up the Great work!!

Dennis

Dec 10, 2007
    13. Nov 3, 2008 8:58 AM (in response to christine94)

Christine,

Thanks for th update, And its Awesome your training is going great! You will Aesome Whether the weather is great or not.....

For me, Recovery is going great too, I did a 10K race yesterday and pulled a 3rd place in my Age Group!!! WOOOHHOO for me....B-)

Also I have a 5k and a 10k this coming Sunday 11/9 and Im looking forward to it.

Oh one more thing, I signed up for my first Marathon for next year... It april 26 and its local...... trail Marathon.......

Awesome Job for You........

Dennis

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...