Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6093 Views 71 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2007 2:52 AM by janSport Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • wannab001 Rookie 145 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 30, 2007 9:01 PM (in response to Rich Mac)
    Re: Wine

Wow.  That's going to be hard to equal if that's what you're looking for.

Even in the three years I've been at my co. I've noticed things tightening up.  And I think it's pretty typical at most places these days.

Dec 14, 2007
    62. Dec 20, 2007 6:28 PM (in response to Rich Mac)

Hahaha!
    I wondered when you'd notice that you'd gone off-track!          !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

OK, here you go:

[http://This message has been edited by wannab001 (edited Nov-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by wannab001 (edited Nov-30-2007).]

Dec 14, 2007
    64. Nov 30, 2007 9:25 PM (in response to Rich Mac)

Oh Gawd!  The memories! 
    What I can't remember is whether it was Boone's Farm or Ripple!

I think drinking one of these wines caused my first and last blackout.
    I was probably 15.  Scared the shvt out of me the next day when my best friend told me some of the stuff I was doing and saying. 

• calikay Rookie 250 posts since
    Apr 1, 2000
    65. Nov 30, 2007 11:12 PM (in response to Rich Mac)

Oh my god!!  My sister's wine!  I used to be sneaky and drink it in my early teens!
      My brother bought me mad dog and beer until I was old enogh to buy my own!     My older siblings were cool!!

• janSport Rookie 267 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    67. Dec 20, 2007 6:28 PM (in response to Rich Mac)

quote:

Originally posted by TrueScotsman:

1. All Argentinian Malbec is good.
    2. Nearly All Spanish Tempranillo and Rioja is good.
    3. Pretty much all Chilean reds are good.
    4. Ditto Australian although tend to be strong.
    5. French are 50/50 good or not so good.
    6. Some Italian wine is surprisingly excellent.
    7. I don't really like South African Pinotage.
    8. American wine sucks.

[http://This message has been edited by TrueScotsman (edited Nov-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by TrueScotsman (edited Nov-30-2007).]

OK. I do like Malbecs and they are decent, but usually not excellent...at least in my limited experience.

I can take or leave Spanish t´s and Riojas, though my DH loves the rioja. I prefer the Ribeiro del Duero (sp?).

Most of the Chilean wines I have had have been pretty mediocre. I much prefer the Spanish or Portuguese wines.

I think most French wine is over rated...with the possible exceptions of a grand cru Bordeaux..esp. the Pauillacs. I also adore the Mersault (but can´t afford them!)

I love, love, love Italian wines for a couple of reasons. They are generally well priced and they are accessible. One of my favorites is the Amarone. Again, this is a really big red and quite strong but wonderful with roasted meats and game. It can also hold its own with cheese. I also like Barolos and the Pinot Grigios. Actually, there are way too many to list. Each region has some fabulous examples. Agree on the Primitivo, BTW.

I don´t know enough about SA wines to comment, though the ones I have had have been excellent.

American wines?!  Oh, how I miss them.  Clearly, TS, you don´t know what you are talkin about!     I esp. miss the red zinfandels and cab blends.  I like new world wines with lots of mouth feel.  My BIL´s restaurant just got a michelin star and we are going to be working with him to import some wines into CE.  Should be interesting.

Finally, a category that no one has mentioned:  Portuguese wine.  In America, you think Mateus and Port, but there is so much more.  We are having a blast discovering the wines.  I love the Douros, Dão, the Trincadeira and so many others.  I also am enjoying the vinho verde which is a super young green wine.  It is almost bubbly and perfect for lunch on a hot day.  The wine here is excellent value and it is hard to find one that is any less than good.  

• calikay Rookie 250 posts since
    Apr 1, 2000
    68. Dec 1, 2007 9:28 AM (in response to Rich Mac)

My older brother and I both worked night shift in my late teens-early 20s and my favorite memory of that time is of us sitting outside, watching the sun rise while drinking a six pack  

• Sarah511 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 2, 2005
    69. Dec 1, 2007 5:38 PM (in response to Rich Mac)

I'm trying to learn something about wine, cause I'm sick of buying bad wines! Has anyone read this?

It looks like a good read and got good reader reviews.

• janSport Rookie 267 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    71. Dec 2, 2007 2:52 AM (in response to Rich Mac)

quote:

Originally posted by Sarah511:

I'm trying to learn something about wine, cause I'm sick of buying bad wines! Has anyone read this?

I would suggest finding a good (friendly) wine store in your area. Go speak with them, ask for recommendations and then, take notes on what you like and don´t like.  Also, ask if they offer wine tastings.  That is a great way to sample some wines and discover a style you like.

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...