Skip navigation

4123 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2007 3:58 PM by deaconray2003 RSS
cpugliese Amateur 20 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 27, 2006 4:51 AM

How much to drink before a race

What is the practice before a long run. Should I drink a lot before or should I drink as usual and take water to drink as I run.

• marirussell Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 30, 2006 12:06 PM (in response to cpugliese)
    Re: How much to drink before a race

You can check how much you need to drink. Go "Fluid Calculator. I usually drink a lot before the practice/race and also drink as I run.

http://www.gssiweb.com/tackleheat/index.cfm

• Joyjoy4all Expert 46 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Nov 6, 2006 1:13 PM (in response to cpugliese)

yes, check out that website...you need to stay hydrated while you race - extremely important.

In health,

Joy

www.joyspersonaltraining.com

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Nov 7, 2006 7:16 AM (in response to cpugliese)

A stiff drink prior to any run is not good. All kidding aside, keep in mind you don't want to fill up on fluids too much in the minutes before running, all that sloshing around in your gut is not good. Stay hydrated in the days up to a long run, then supplement while running. Generally I will not drink during runs 7 miles or less. Although keep the weather and your sweat rate in mind as well.

• mensamiler Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Nov 10, 2006 3:29 PM (in response to cpugliese)

I agree with the poster who said that they don't bother to take anything w/them on runs of 7 or 8 miles or less. If it's a longer run (10+) I've always adhered to the rule of trying to polish off 16 oz of sports drink an hour before my run begins.  That 60 minutes gives everything time to "work through the system". For those longer runs I carry a 20 oz bottle of your-favorite-sports-drink-here that I carry in a waist belt. Remember, you're not just staying hydrated, you're also trying to keep your salt/electrolyte levels somewhere near right, so if you're drinking just water try and choke down a gel or 2 to get some sodium.

• jejenkins Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Nov 14, 2006 12:37 PM (in response to cpugliese)

I think it depends on your current training habits.  My wife and I hydrate ALOT compared to most.  I am an oddity because I can go run right after eating a large meal or drinking alot of something without it upsetting my stomach or causing cramping.  Granted if you are out for ultimate time and performance you don't want your body requiring blood to your stomach for digestion and stealing it from your muscles.  But if you are out for enjoying a run, doing a marathon for completion rather than competition, then do whatever you want and works for you.  I can really tell when I go for a  run and have not had enough hydrration......so I always drink.

Ran the San Antonio marathon Sunday and this is what I did.  ....  Saturday the day before, drank 6 24ounce bottles of water, then the morning of chugged a 24oz bottle an hour before the race and sipped another until the start.  Stopped at every water station, ate Cliff shot blocks (1 pkg) every hour during the race and had a kashi bar an hour before the race.

Granted....I had to stop 4 times to use the bathroom during the race, but I wasn't trying to win the thing and I sure as heck would prefer adding about 5 minutes to my total race time (for bathroom breaks) than finish a 1/2 hour later or not finish at all because of dehydration. 

Just listen to your body....folks require different things, so much of it is mental, so get it sorted out before a race.  Find something that make you feel strong even after you finish and do it.  In hot weather.....always err on the "more" side.  We trained through 100+ degree weather and did fine except for one run (12 miler) the wife didn't hydrate and nearly collapsed.  Better safe than sorry.

• jejenkins Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Nov 14, 2006 12:38 PM (in response to cpugliese)

WHOOPS, forgot to mention that during training runs I carry an amphipod belt and drink 4-5ounces every mile.

• andy5781 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Nov 15, 2006 10:36 PM (in response to cpugliese)

well i run the 5k 8k and 10k during cross country season and i usually pollish off about 4-5 ounces of gatorade lemon lime endurance formula about 40 minutes before race and it works wonders for me clocking a 16:12

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Nov 16, 2006 5:36 AM (in response to cpugliese)

Wait a second. Do not err on the "more" side, as jejenkins says. Hyponometria is real, it is basically the overfilling of the body with fluid. This washes out the salt and other minerals in your body and can be fatal. Google the word, it is legit. Moderation is the key. Everyone has to take things to the extreme, or say silly things like everyone is different. In this is case everyone is the same- too much water can kill you. Be careful.

• irungrl Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    9. Jan 7, 2007 9:35 PM (in response to cpugliese)

I do train w/ H2O & GA but not until I get into high miles (10 plus)  Then again I live in the deep South so if it's really hot I put frozen H2O bottles at every 3 miles no matter the distance. The week before a full or 1/2 I have a routine of one "real" GA a day (not a powder mix but a bottle from the market) and I up my regular water in take a little. Then, four days before I salt my food a little more. Once race day arrives, I get nervous, then check my watch fifty times to make sure I am on the right time zone as the race (if I am traveling) drink one btl H20 one real GA and pop a GU after the start at mile 1.

Like said before, it is very important to not over hydrate. It is also key to train with whatever you are going to use during your race. If you don't GU or gel then don't decide to try it on race day..it could be ugly. Just my 2cents...

Happy running!!

• deaconray2003 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jan 9, 2007 6:05 PM (in response to cpugliese)

I must agree hyponatremia can kill you and even though it is very rare there have been some cases that I have read about, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

As a rule of thumb any run over 1hr requires hydration.

Any sub 1hr runs I don't really worry about them.

Replenishing electrolytes is also very important.

I'm checking out this sports drink called infinity sells for about $32.00 a bottle but it's tailored to your specifications right on the website you will find it on active.com's website.

Happy trails

Jul 9, 2007
    11. Feb 9, 2007 5:52 PM (in response to cpugliese)

32 bucks a bottle? How ever did they complete marathons prior to this product? The ancient Greeks ran with nothing but water. Get a grip! This stuff better knock 1 hour off your marathon time. Then take you out for dinner afterwords. Buyer beware.

• deaconray2003 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Feb 22, 2007 3:58 PM (in response to cpugliese)

Praise the lord everybody!

The Big Deac's back.

That Infinity stuff was rather exspensive,

but as the old saying goes- you get what you pay for, or I would hope.

To make a long story short I did not experiment with that

infinity stuff when I ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon.

I just bought some GU for $1&change apiece and I also used the same thing to train with.

Works for me!

God bless ya, holla!

Deac

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...