Skip navigation

4114 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2008 7:20 AM by KarlD_Navy84
waw3runner Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 6, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 18, 2008 6:57 PM

Hydration -- bottles, belts, and/or Camelbaks

Another newbie here -- but I've been scouring the threads and haven't found much for those who want/need to carry along some fluids and not just count on the water/Powerade stops.

Anyway, I've been training all summer in sunny Florida with an old 70 oz Camelbak Rogue backpack -- and on long runs a 32 oz Camelbak Catalyst waistpak, too! Recently I tried out a midsize 50 oz Hydrobak that's a little lower profile and lighter. I tried carrying a 16 or 20 oz bottle, but the sloshing just really bugs me for some reason.

I know there will be water/Powerade stops ever 2ish miles and VA/DC definitely won't be as hot and humid next Sunday as FL has been all summer(!), but I've gotten used to having my own water w/me for whenever I want/need a little.

So, whaddya think? See many Camelbaks on the MCM course?

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 18, 2008 6:55 PM (in response to waw3runner)
    Re: Hydration -- bottles, belts, and/or Camelbaks

I definitely saw them on the course last year, but there was plenty of fluids for the runners.  After the 2007 Chicago marathon debacle, I always pack my camelbak just in case the weather forecast calls for hot and humid weather.  It never hurts to be prepared.  You can decide on race morning if you want to take it with you.

I will run for cupcakes!!

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Oct 19, 2008 7:20 AM (in response to waw3runner)
    Re: Hydration -- bottles, belts, and/or Camelbaks

I never could get  used to the fuel belts.  The Camelbak has always worked well for me.   I used one in last year's MCM and plan to do so again this year. Mine says it holds 70 ounces.  I usually fill it up to about 55 - 60 ounces (with Cytomax) for my long runs.  My plan is to drink about 5 ounces every couple of miles.  I'll use the water they provide to wash down my gels and pour on my head during the later miles to try and stay refreshed.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points