Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12721 Views 92 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2008 10:04 PM by JCtherealdeal RSS 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
JoeInTX Legend 1,767 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 19, 2008 4:31 AM

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of October 19th

End of last weeks thread

Happy Sunday Peeps!   Its feeling more like autumn these days!

• Gayle - Good to hear you got a good 3 mile run in yesterday!

• Dari - Have a great HM at Baystate this morning!   I heard (tweet from Steverunner - he's runnning the full)  its very cold up there!

• Macd - Hope to hear from you today!

• Kevin - Are you running that 5K today?

Joe

-

1/2 Marathon Trainers Map

1/2 Marathon Trainers Calendar

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 19, 2008 8:14 AM (in response to JoeInTX)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of October 19th

Hey allso sorry to have disappeared last week.... I got buried at work on Wed, and didn't have a chance to get online the rest of the week. Probably a good thingit kept my mind (nerves) off the race a bit!

Reeb--awesome job on your half!!! Congrats!!

Darihope you were able to runyou are probably done by now! Can't wait for your report!

Okay, here goes:

IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!! I just had a blast!

I have to start with the BEST PART, though, which was Friday nightDH & I got to Indy around 5:00, dropped the dogs at his uncle's, went to packet pick-up and checked into our hotel, then went back to pick up his uncle and go out to dinner. We're sitting on his breezeway  when a car pulls in the drivewayit was my daughters!!! I was so surprised and happy to see them that I started crying. I had NO idea they were coming, but it meant so much to me. Best surprise I've ever had.

The race... what can I say? It was awesome! They ended up with about 5500 runners altogether-- 2578 in the half, 1100+ in the full, the rest in the 5k, kids run, and marathon relay. I would highly recommend that race sizeplenty of people around (lots running in 2s and 3s) so there was plenty of conversation to listen to but it wasn't real crowded and hard to get around people. It was a really nice course. Started on the base at Fort Benjamin Harrison, went around some of the residential areas there and near the base, and then into the State Park. There were a lot of flat areas and rolling hills in the neighborhoods, but the state park portion was fairly hillythough nothing too steep or long. It was a gorgeous day--about 50 and overcast at the start, about 59 and sunny at the finish, lots of trees in full color, just really nice.

I felt great for the first 5 miles and definitely went out too fastmy first mile was 11:07 and I finished the first 5 miles in about 58 minutes, I was just having a ball. Miles 6-8 felt good too, though I was going a little slower. By mile 9 I was starting to lose my energybut that is when my girls jumped in and ran the next 4 miles with me! That was really perfect timing. I needed the boost, and they got to run through the state park, which was the prettiest portion. I did walk a few stretches so my times for those miles went down, but my overall time was 2:44:36--which beat my stretch goal of 2:45, so I was very pleased. And would do it again I'll post a pic or link soon.

I want to thank all of you for the "cyber-support"I don't think I would ever have made it this far without all of you! I really wish I had started this years agohaving run that 4 miles with my DDs, I am really envious of those of you who get to run with loved ones on a regular basis, it was just so special. I think we are going to do a turkey trot when the girls are home for Thanksgiving--I can't wait!

Not much time for shout-outs, but--

Joe, glad your 7-miler went well. You'll be ready!

Cara, glad the shoes are fitting. I ended up running in the Brooks this time.

Chuck, that was so nice of you to give up your trip to help your son's family... I too hope you get to meet Holley soon!

misswendy, runjrkeep going! I really can't imagine doing a fullyou are amazing!

Gayle, glad to hear you are able to run--I'll be praying that you're up to doing the half next weekend!

spicegeek, great job on the 60-under-60, and nice pic! I didn't feel too sweaty yesterday since the weather was so nice, but I was sure covered with salt at the end!

Mary and/or Kevin--I think Tyranena's out for this year; since DD and I will be in Kohler until fairly late Friday evening, the logistics of getting there/being ready just don't look good. Hope you are both doing well, and good luck if you run it!

Sorry if I missed anyone... Hope everyone has a fab Sunday!

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    3. Oct 19, 2008 10:10 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

hi all ran 7 easy miles this AM.  I will not be able to run Monday and maybe not Tuesday.  I am traveling and this one goes well into the evenings.  Maybe at best will be the TM. 

cara - great 12 miler and solid week.  I am also done with my long running until after the marathon.  

reeb - great race!  Not sure if I am going to carry water this race.  I have a difficult time with my stomach if the belt gets too tight around my waist.  The joys of getting older.  Rest up.

misswendy - I am sure I will use the potty once during my race.  Great 21 miler!!! Rest up after that one.  With the butt hurting, stretch the hamstrings you will feel better.

spicegeek - great workout, I don't know where you get the energy. 

gayle - glad to hear you are running again.  Take it easy and remember your health is most important.

joe - so Romo is the backup?  This should be interesting.  I think your Cowboys are still one of the top 2 in the league.  Glad to hear the knee cooperated during your long run.

macd - great race story!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am so happy your DD"s  showed up and even ran with you for a while.  You should be proud you did fantastic!  I am with you 100%, I would run with my DD or DW any day and they are always my best runs. 

I may be unable to post the next few days but we will see.  Take care all, good luck today Dari!!!

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 19, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to runjr)

Thanks, Joe & runjr! and I forgot to say--Good luck Carmen! I think her race is today?

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 19, 2008 12:36 PM (in response to macd019)

hey way to go Macd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• chilidogbeagle Rookie 64 posts since
    May 17, 2008
    6. Oct 19, 2008 2:18 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hey Everyone!

Well, I did it! I'm no longer a race virgin. Today was my first race of any variety so it was a much bigger deal to me than I would have let on to anyone. My goal was a < 2:00 finish and I did it. My official time was... 1:59:58.

I can honestly say that this ranks up there as one of the top days of my life. I learned a slew of lessons today that I'll chew over in the days ahead - not the least of which is a slow start saves races and I'm proof of that.

I was so concerned about going out too fast that I under-ran (if that's a word) fearing the worst. When I do my training runs daily I usually run a 8 - 8:30 mile. As a novice runner, I had heard so many horror stories about finding yourself at mile 8 or 10 or 12 feeling like death and I was desperate to finish at all cost. I can honestly say that I never ever felt fatigued or crappy in anyway. At the halfway point, I was at 1:01:40 or something and I knew that I could increase my speed because I still felt amazing - way better than I have ever felt having just run 6.5 miles. Though I will admit my hope of reaching my goal was shot. Even with that realization, though I never increased it much just waiting for something yucky to happen which never did, and the last 3 miles - I kicked it.

When we hit the arena and the guy said over the loudspeaker, "If you plan on an under 2:00 finish - you have 30 seconds...", I bolted like never before. When I crossed the finish line and saw my time I hope to christ no one got a picture of me because I just know that I look profoundly "special" as in a blackmail opportunity just ripe for the pickin'.

My one big lesson learned of many is if you are a mother and a novice runner, leave your ^&*&&$@ apron at home. There is a girl wearing black tights & a red shirt who is drenched and likely very pissed & even more cold because of me. Yeah, I know (NOW) - when at a water station throw your cups to the right... well, what if you are a mother and used to picking up after people in your house and you are sure you see a garbage can just up ahead on the left and your equally sure you can hit it? Well, then you hold on to the gatorade that you thought was water that you did not drink because you hate gatorade and didn't train with it... and you peg it at said can and miss BY A MILE and soak the previously-mentioned 20-something pretty girl in red & black. I'm sorry young girl. I'm even sorrier for apologizing profusely and then speaking to the advantages of not procreating & creating the very progeny that makes you feel the need to throw cup in can instead of on the ground like they do just knowing that you will pick up after them.

I may well be one of the happiest humans on the planet today... or least my little plot.  I'll take tomorrow off but will log on to give my much belated shout-outs!

dari

• chilidogbeagle Rookie 64 posts since
    May 17, 2008
    7. Oct 19, 2008 3:07 PM (in response to chilidogbeagle)

Well, Reeb... who's the rock star now?  Great job!  Fantastic race report.

MacD:  Fantastic job!  You even got to run with your daughters?  That is too cool for words.  That is so unlikely to happen in my house - but I will say that despite everything that has been going on with my son, we definitely had one of the nicest 24 hours together in recent memory.  He was an amazing support and a real trooper to give up a full day & a half to his mom and her dorky dreams.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    8. Oct 19, 2008 3:29 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Dari and macd - Congratulations !! you both did brilliantly  - we are so very very proud of you both !!!

Just a little 3 mile run for me today - I was thinking of running 6 but yesterdays workout wore me out !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    9. Oct 19, 2008 7:39 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hello everyone,

I did the girl friend run in Vancover WA today.  I met over 22 cyber buddies at the event.  Always so good to meet cyber friends in person.  We have matching shirts so that we could identify each other it was great.  The day was a little colder than I like it.  It was in the lower 40's no sun and a little cloudy at the start.  Not my ideal dream start for me.  I was hoping fo no rain and I did get that so I wont complain to much.

I was the first one to come out of the group. I completed my in 2:01:20. I shaved about 10 minutes off my first half. I'm a little disappointed because I could of made my goal if my nike + wouldn't have just stop working. I took a walk trying to fix it. It happened at mile 12 urrgggggggggggggggg. Thats ok I will set another goal and set it for my next race. I keep kicking myself but I think it is time for me to finally get me a garmin. 

The event was only open to 1000 women and it was sold out.  It was really nice we received soup and all different kinds of fruits a personal stretch and a massage at the finished line.  All ladies on the board this is one that you may want to try to get to next year.  The view was beautiful only complaint was that it was all pavements.

I will be back in a few. I need to take an ice bath and rest these legs.

Carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    10. Oct 19, 2008 7:37 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

woohoo Carmen - that`s awesome !! -

What a great weekend for the team !!!

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• GigiD44 Amateur 159 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    11. Oct 19, 2008 8:08 PM (in response to spicegeek)

You guys are just so awesome.  I hope I can be like you when I grow up.  (wont say my age just yet.)    I have spent way too much time reading the posts on this board, way too much, but i cant help myself.  Your lives and stories are so inspirational.  in less than 3months, I have gone from never thinking about a race, to gearing my mind to one day doing a 1/2 marathon.   My goal is mid to late 2009.  I have hooked up with a co-worker who has completed 2 and has already signed up for her 3rd. 

As a constant lurker (no where near ready for a 1/2 marathon), I was wondering when do runners decide to get the Garmin.  I guess you just answered my question.  At yesterday's race, veterans were telling me I had to have one but I was thinking, " they must be kidding".  I did explain I am on week 3 of C25k and am quite satisfied with my 8 dollar Wal-mart stop watch.  Time and distance are relative to me right now.  Goals are to finish and run injury free as I do more each week/month.  When it comes to preferences, I prefer charity races, esp anything for children and I insist on doing a race/vacation combo eventually.  The Presidio 10 is my goal.  Now I have to get someone to agree to go with me. 

Keep the stories coming!! I really enjoy reading them.  Have a blessed evening, day, etc!!    The pictures are awesome; the world is really a beautiful place!!   The concrete jungle has nothing on nature.

I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me!. Phil. 4:13

First half - ING Georgia 3/29/09 - 3:27:08

Second half - ING Georgia 3/21/10 - 3:00:33 yippee!!

First 15k - Iron Girl Clearwater, FL 4/10/10

• jc34360 Rookie 42 posts since
    Aug 27, 2008
    12. Oct 19, 2008 8:09 PM (in response to spicegeek)

Hey everyone-

Greetings from California - well from the airport I should say. Had a great trip - it was so fun to be with my niece and nephew and to be here for my nephew's 3rd b-day. I'm actually in the airport now - and BORED! Have a 2 hour layover but lucky for me have my trusty laptop   Taking the red eye home tonight and straight to work tomorrow from the plane - yuck. That's just the way it had to be but still glad to have been out here. Actually got a 5 mile run in today so I was pleased. Wanted to get in 2 runs but we had a lot of running around to do for the party, etc.  Got to run alongside the ocean this morning (they're in Monterey) so it was absolutely beautiful. Even got to see the seals and sea lions! Much different from NY and NJ!!!

So I'm much delayed in shoutouts but will try to catch up where I can. If I miss anyone, will definitely catch up later this week!

Joe - I'm only up to about 10 miles or so a week - still struggling a bit with my work schedule but I look back to when I wasn't even running and do feel pretty good about the 10 miles I am getting in.

Cara - how are the new shoes?? Have you broken them in yet? Seems like you've been getting some good runs in.....

MacD - looks like the Giants did ok today even though I didn't get to see the game. Congrats on your race!! That's so great about your girls jumping in! It reminded me of th 5k I told you guys about where I motivated my dad to start running again after the hill. Motivation like that is just great. Much congrats on your time!

Chilidog - I know I'm much delayed but that story is crazy! So glad your son and his friend are ok.  Congrats on your race!!!! Your water story cracked me up.

Reeb - congrats on your HM! That's a really great time! Now you can go back to your superman trail running

Runjr - I hope you're right on the slow and patient stuff - thanks though for the advice. I still feel soooooooooo slow but oh well. Still better than I when I started! Your "easy" 8-9 miles still makes me winge though....

Cscmartin - thanks - you're garage story made me laugh sorry. Sounds like me. I am so bad at that stuff. Congrats on your HM! That's a really great time.

MissWendy - I'm pulling for Eli too but he did ok today so that's good. A bit ddelayed I know but the chicken story made me laugh. Since I'm on vacation I swear I've done nothing but eat so it's a good thing I got that run in this morning!

Chuck - congrats on that 10+ run - that's great!

Joe - congrats on your 7! That's a great pace also so you must be pleased.

GL Bryan - glad you're feeling better....

Ok everyone, another hour or so till boarding so I'm going to enjoy my cocktail with the hopes it will put me to sleep on the plane for the next 5 hours since that's the only sleep I'll be getting tonight. Hope everyone had a great weekend and talk you guys later this week

Ciao for now! - JC

• GLBryan Rookie 278 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Oct 19, 2008 9:46 PM (in response to jc34360)

Mac, Dari & Carmen - Well done on your races! You all did so well.

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...