Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2876 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2008 1:43 PM by Imgellin
MPrid27 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 20, 2008 11:27 AM

Sore after first half-marathon

I just ran my first half marathon this past Saturday and felt no pain whatsoever until just as I finished the race--the temp was in the low 50s by then when the cold air hit my legs, I could feel them tense up instantly. I tried stretching after that and hydrating and then walked about a 1/2 mile to my car to go home...still sore Saturday night...all Sunday...and today...feels slightly better today, but the soreness is really prevalent in my quads, shins, and hips.

Anything else I can do besides rest, hydrate, and take the occasional ibuprofen? I haven't tried icing the areas at all...should I be doing that?

Thank you!

MPrid27 

"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools."

Spanish proverb

• runJCrun Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    1. Oct 20, 2008 12:22 PM (in response to MPrid27)
    Re: Sore after first half-marathon

TRY BIOFREEZE!! it's great on your sore muscles.

Attachments:
  • christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    2. Oct 20, 2008 12:24 PM (in response to runJCrun)

Compression pants!

Several brands out there.  Everything your doing is great.  Get plenty of protein as well.  Drink milk/oj and rest.

Congrats on finishing your 1/2 marathon.

Christine

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 20, 2008 1:46 PM (in response to MPrid27)

Go for a walk, not hard or fast, just walk, a mile would be good.

Len

Len

• Imgellin Legend 521 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    4. Oct 26, 2008 9:19 AM (in response to MPrid27)

Mix two tablespoons of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt and one tablespoon of sea salt and put it in a hot bath (if you do not have high blood pressure or diabetes). Stay in the water till it cools (at least 30 minutes). It will detoxify, pulling some of the lactic acid out of your skin.

2009 Indianapolis Marathon 3:59:14

• Imgellin Legend 521 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    6. Oct 26, 2008 1:43 PM (in response to MPrid27)

You're welcome! ...and give some thought to wearing a base layer (at least on your lower half) on that 10K if the temps are going to be cool. I use mine if the temp is cooler than 55 or-so. I think the base layer makes me run faster because I get cold somewhat easily and my legs being just a bit warmer than without them, are moving easier. I use Terramar Outlast (poly/Merino wool). You might not be sore afterward if you run in a base layer.

2009 Indianapolis Marathon 3:59:14

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...